Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: National Bike Summit Homestays (March 20th - 22nd, 2012)

Post Thanks / Like

Default National Bike Summit Homestays (March 20th - 22nd, 2012)

Hello WABF Members,

It's almost that time of year again! The League of American Bicyclist is hosting their annual National Bike Summit on March 20th - 22nd, 2012. Last year, we experimented with matching visiting bicycle advocates in DC with local WABF members via the forums. It would be great if we could do the same again this year.

For those not familiar with the National Bike Summit, each year almost 1000 bicycle advocates, industry leaders and many other convene in Washington, DC to connect with each other, learn about the current state of bicycling and lobby for better conditions. This year is especially important as re-authorization of the federal transportation bill is to be debated in March 2012. And as expected, bicycling will be on the chopping block for "savings" in a shrinking budget climate.

We will use this thread to send both potential hosts and attendees looking for housing. Please do not feel pressured to open your home or accept a guest that makes you feel uncomfortable. This is a "choose you're own adventure". Connect with each other here and if it seems like a good fit then exchange information via a private message. There are attendees that stay with the same local bicyclists year after year creating a lasting relationship. Other attendees just need help this one time and an extra sofa is more than enough. Hopefully, we (DC) can be helpful host!

More Information about the Summit: http://www.bikeleague.org/conference...it12/index.php

If you have questions or concerns, please let me know via private message or email (greg [at] waba [dot] org).

Best,
    Greg
    Greg Billing
    Outreach & Advocacy Coordinator
    Washington Area Bicyclist Association

Email: greg@waba.org

Post Thanks / Like

I am the Executive Director of Bike-Walk Alliance of New Hampshire and shall be going to the summit for three nights. I have stayed at a WABA member's home before but she is not available this year. I am female, but if you are a respectable male I could stay with you . Check out our site and info on me at www.bwanh.org

Post Thanks / Like

I'm checking to see what we can do.

Honestly, I don't think it would be a problem to have some folks stay with us... The hard part would be transport into the city. We're 3 miles from the nearest Metro station and a lovely 15 mile ride from where the summit is being held. I've got rack space at the house and can probably arrange temporary use of the EPA bike room for secure day storage of bicycles... with access to showers.

I haven't commuted any way but by bicycle in many years, so I can't really talk with experience about how the trip into DC is by public transport.

Let me see what I can do. Thanks! y'all for posting up.

Pete

americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
    We're 3 miles from the nearest Metro station...

I haven't commuted any way but by bicycle in many years, so I can't really talk with experience about how the trip into DC is by public transport.
    As a fair weather bicycle commuter, I can offer this:

WFC to Metro Center is 30 min or less. Plenty of outdoor unsecured bike parking, but theft and vandalism there aren't much of a problem, at least in my limited experience. Metro fare could be as high as $3.95 each way.

Post Thanks / Like

The other complication is that I'm going to be on Tim Johnson's Ride on Washington again next year and won't be back in town until Tuesday at lunch time anyways.

I'm 100% use-free. Sorry.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll be attending (gotta register now) and have a couch free then, too. WABA member living ~1 mile from the Capitol.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you still offering your "couch" to an out-of-stater for the summit? if so, let me know details.
    Thanks.Linda Gould

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    I'm a advocate in New Mexico registered to attend the Summit. Is there a place for me to stay in the DC area from Tuesday through Thursday night? I'll leave Friday, mid-day. Bed or couch, male or female, just a warm, secure place to stay is what I'm looking for. You can check out the website for our organization at dukecitywheelmen.org

Thanks

Jennifer

Post Thanks / Like

Hello out there! I am the VP of Cape Fear SORBA (Wilmington, NC MTB club) and we are looking to send a delegate from our region to DC. We are looking to see if anyone out there is interested in hosting our delegate. It is a he and he is really a very great guy! Please let us know if you can help! We would be forever grateful!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi
    I am an advocate from CT and am registered for the bike summit. I am looking for a place to stay. I am a 74 year old fit male - bed, cot or couch would be fine. I am arriving by train at Penn Station with bike. I am looking for a place to stay near metro. I would expect to take metro or bus to summit except on the day of summit group ride. I expect to be coming to DC on afternoon of 19th and leaving afternoon of 22nd or morning of 23rd. For Ref. I am a member of LAB, BikeWalkCT, SWW&WW, and CT Greenways Council.
    Thank You
    Bob Dickinson
    You may reply to <swbikewalk@gmail.com> or both (preferred)

<swbikewalk@gmail.com>