Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0

Thread: Cyclist struck at Massachusetts Ave & E St NW (Union Station, DC), 6/28/2019

Formerly of the Pike where I was hit twice in bike-friendly Arlington. Now in Takoma Park.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cyclist struck at Massachusetts Ave & E St NW (Union Station, DC), 6/28/2019

I came upon the aftermath of a cyclist having been struck here this morning sometime between 8:15 a.m. and 8:45 a.m.. The police were taking a report. Cyclist was on a bikeshare bike and the front wheel appeared to be bent.

According to witnesses, the cyclist was crossing when he did not have the light and a driver hit him. He bounced off of the car and readily admitted that he was at fault. He (again according to witnesses) declined an ambulance.

I'll just add that I haven't completely figured out that light timing there, but it is wonky. Everyone generally crosses against the light because traffic is clear.

Name:  t1.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  99.0 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Glad it wasn't worse.

Quote Originally Posted by elbows View Post
    I'll just add that I haven't completely figured out that light timing there, but it is wonky. Everyone generally crosses against the light because traffic is clear.
    Yeah - many people cross at 1st against the light taking advantage of the gap when traffic on Mass Ave/Columbus Circle stops but before the traffic from the "Columbus Monument Drive" (aka the pickup/dropoff lanes at Union Station) gets into the intersection during its green phase. That whole intersection is one of those where I can totally understand what a traffic engineer was thinking when designing the light phases on paper the way they did...but in practice it's just a giant mess.