Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Demand Film Screening: Peleton Against Plastic July 31 6:30pm Regal Gallery Cinema DC

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have time to see the flick but feel that taming the beast must be done on the supply side- China no longer wants our nasty crapola, and I don't blame them.
    Go to you local obeseomarket and see the 8 ounce packs of slimy deli-like product, pumped full of chemically-infused, saline water, thickened with starches so it doesn't run. It will be sealed in a plastic bag, which is in turn encased in a semi-rigid plastic clamshell, which, in a coup de grace, has a cardboard wrapper around it. Bloody hell.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phog View Post
    I don't have time to see the flick but feel that taming the beast must be done on the supply side- China no longer wants our nasty crapola, and I don't blame them.
    Go to you local obeseomarket and see the 8 ounce packs of slimy deli-like product, pumped full of chemically-infused, saline water, thickened with starches so it doesn't run. It will be sealed in a plastic bag, which is in turn encased in a semi-rigid plastic clamshell, which, in a coup de grace, has a cardboard wrapper around it. Bloody hell.
    The problem AIUI is that in reality the US isn't responsible for much of the plastic pollution because we tend to have a good infrastructure for putting waste plastic in trash cans and getting it to landfills. (Jerks aside.) The numbers I've seen suggest that most of the plastic in oceans and other undesirable places come from areas which lack the infrastructure to collect and dispose of the plastic (especially from people who can't afford dump fees). Reducing the US contribution to zero wouldn't materially affect the amount of plastic in the ocean. I'm not sure what would be effective, maybe a global fund for creating landfills and free trash disposal or something.