Likes Likes:  38
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Take Action: Important Bike Stuff in Ballston, Pentagon City, Rosslyn and Cherrydale!

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    "a minefield of dumb games and social cliques badly disguised as a forum for DC bike advocacy."
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    Easy VDOT solution to that: get rid of the crosswalk!
    Hey hey hey. Dont be dissing on me mates at VDOT.

True story:

ArlingtonDES et al pretty much block me now. Something about me being a citizen petitioning my government for redress or something.

Well the steel plates on Old Dumb / Lee at Wakefield were buckling under cars. I know. I know. I helped cars. Sigh. Anyway, I tweeted to ArlingtonDES, ArlingtonVA, and Arlingtonpopo a piicture of the plates buckling. I never heard from them.

I did hear from VDOT, who asked for forgiveness for eavesdropping - contacted Dominion Gas - and had the plates secured within two hours.

That's the way its supposed to work!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rcannon100 View Post
    Hey hey hey. Dont be dissing on me mates at VDOT.
    VDOT routinely designs intersections which pedestrians must cross 3 times in order to cross the street, just because they want cars to have a guaranteed zero-wait signal. They deserve all the dissing they can get.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris_s View Post
    TONIGHT: Open House on Potential Safety Improvements to Military Road & Lorcom Ln
    TOMORROW: Deadline to submit online survey on Quincy Street PBL extension [SUSMO Analysis here]
    Looking at the proposed re-striping plans for Lorcom and Military, neither are remotely in alignment with the NACTO standards in the Bike Master Plan for roads with that volume of traffic. Going by the book, Lorcom should have PBLs and Military should have either PBLs or buffered lanes. This is not present in either proposed re-striping.

4. Likes Steve O, dasgeh liked this post
    "a minefield of dumb games and social cliques badly disguised as a forum for DC bike advocacy."
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    VDOT routinely designs intersections which pedestrians must cross 3 times in order to cross the street, just because they want cars to have a guaranteed zero-wait signal. They deserve all the dissing they can get.

Post Thanks / Like

I wanted the right turn lane removed so they could extend the bike lane through that intersection with Old Dominion, up the short hill to Lee Hwy.. I agree that the right turn lane isn't really a hazard for cyclists traveling NW on Old Dominion. If they could keep the right turn lane and still have a thru bike lane then great.

7. Likes huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The interesection is about to be a pedestrian path for a brand new school - the school formerly known as HBW. Seems like a good reason to improve pedestrian crossings and kill right turns on red.

9. Likes dasgeh, consularrider liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rcannon100 View Post
    The interesection is about to be a pedestrian path for a brand new school - the school formerly known as HBW. Seems like a good reason to improve pedestrian crossings and kill right turns on red.
    Sure, another improvement after the HBW program leaves. If the intersection was good enough for the HBW middle and high schoolers, then its good enough for the snow flakes that will be attending the new middle school. (Note, this is sarcastic. I fully support efforts to improve the safety of school children.)

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

On Military:
    • Nacto calls for PBLs
    • The situation is complicated by residential driveways.
    • Also complicating the situation is Arlington County is still working out the kinks of having PBLs beside SFHs -- how to do trash, etc. I think they'll get there, but this maybe isn't the project to go to the mat for when there's this issue [see Quincy].
    • There's a plan to do a green striped bike lane through the Five Points intersection -- can't hurt to have comments saying we need that.
    • It would also help slow traffic & protect kids if there were real traffic control at Vacation & Military. We won't get that in this project, but good to get that note in.
    • However, there's a stretch between two churches -- no reason not to do PBLs there.

On Lorcom:
    • Nacto calls for PBLs
    • See above re: residential.
    • The real question here is: currently, we have a bike lane northbound/downhill and sharrows southbound/uphill. But generally you choose a bike lane up hill if you have to choose one. However, there is a stretch of the sidewalk on the northbound side that would be immediately beside traffic if you switch the bike lane & sharrows.
    • As an alternative, you could have an uphill bike lane for the entire stretch, and a downhill bike lane to protect the sidewalk if you allocated space away from parking for about a block and a half.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sjclaeys View Post
    Sure, another improvement after the HBW program leaves. If the intersection was good enough for the HBW middle and high schoolers, then its good enough for the snow flakes that will be attending the new middle school. (Note, this is sarcastic. I fully support efforts to improve the safety of school children.)

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe it's just me being selfish and my type of riding, but I actually wouldn't want PBLs on Military. With the downhills you can go as fast as the cars, and I think it's safer to have more space available to maneuver than just the narrow allotted PBL space.

And no, I don't want to slow down.

14. Likes Judd, sjclaeys, josh, scoot liked this post