Likes Likes:  24
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Columbia Pike @ Washington Blvd Crosswalks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zsionakides View Post
    It seems like you'd need railroad crossing gates to prevent cars turning right on red.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1b0ef7d6c3ee29dcc74348e5df7ca984.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	20171

2. Likes jen_stoly, bentbike33 liked this post
    Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

I sent this email to the Department of Environmental Services and copied the Arlington County Board:
    Hello,
    The intersection at the end of the ramp from Washington Blvd to westbound Columbia Pike needs to have "No Right on Red"
    https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8661...7i13312!8i6656

I am aware of at least three collisions between cars and people using the crosswalk, the most recent on May 31. I suspect there have been many more than the ones I happen to know about, as well as an unknown number of close calls.
    Since the crosswalk here was widened, many eastbound bicycle riders now use this side rather than ride on Columbia Pike itself. With the proliferation of e-scooters and increases in all modes of personal transport, the conflicts here between right-turning drivers and sidewalk users is only going to get worse.

As you know, many drivers who turn right on red do not come to a complete stop. Additionally they often only look to their left to see a clearing in traffic before proceeding. Since a significant number of people are traveling on this sidewalk from the driver's right, there is high potential for collisions. I believe that most of the collisions that have occurred at this intersection are of that type.

A person on foot or on a bike or on a scooter who sees a "Walk" signal should be able to cross without fear. Unfortunately, they cannot, because too many drivers at this intersection are concerning themselves with their right turn and not paying attention to the people on the sidewalk. Implementing "No Right on Red" here will eliminate this conflict and make it possible for sidewalk users to cross on the "Walk" signal in safety.

I strongly recommend that "No Right on Red" be implemented at this point.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

I received an automated confirmation from the County Board.
    I received this from DES-TEO
    Thanks for reaching out to Transportation Engineering & Operations Bureau through our Customer Care & Communications account. Your request for NTOR at the Washington Blvd. ramp onto Columbia Pike has been received. An investigation task has been assigned to our Signal team. Due to the high volume of requests we receive, evaluation and completion of your request may take up to 4 months. Thank you for your patience. Please feel free to contact this account for further comments and refer to ID# C3T270 regarding this request.
    Thank you again for taking the time to contact us with your concerns.

Sincerely,

Customer Care & Communications (C3) Team
    Transportation Engineering & Operations Bureau
    Division of Transportation
    Arlington County Department of Environmental Services

4. Likes jen_stoly, n18, scoot, Starduster, Dewey, dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would hope that there are no Right on Red collisions in the next four months. The optics wouldn't be particularly good if there were additional collisions as the DES staff reflects on the need for an intervention.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve O, thank you.

7. Likes jen_stoly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbb View Post
    I would hope that there are no Right on Red collisions in the next four months. The optics wouldn't be particularly good if there were additional collisions as the DES staff reflects on the need for an intervention.
    I'm sure it will quickly be closed with a "no, because cars".

Judd is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

My suspicion is that the response will be that the intersection and signaling is operated by VDOT. During previous discussions about this intersection at BAC meetings, the response seemed to be that Arlington was powerless in the face of VDOT control.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    My suspicion is that the response will be that the intersection and signaling is operated by VDOT. During previous discussions about this intersection at BAC meetings, the response seemed to be that Arlington was powerless in the face of VDOT control.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    WHO is in charge of WHAT on the Pike?

I will raise the ante further- in light of all this, *and* further issues west on the Pike, including *another* pedestrian fatality, this time at Four Mile Run, I will call for a reduction of the speed limit on Columbia Pike through Arlington to 25 mph. Here's why- the right of way width was locked in place long ago, first by older buildings in the central section between George Mason and Courthouse Rd, then by all the new construction, built to the street. The rise of these mixed use buildings means more residents, higher density, more pedestrian and bike traffic in a limited space, all added to this major auto/bus commuter route.

If they say, "it can't be done", offer them East and West Broad St, Falls Church. Where Falls Church has made 25 work on a four lane street for decades now, ever since the Falls Church Police ran Volvo 244's provided by Don Beyer.

11. Likes jen_stoly, dasgeh liked this post
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Starduster View Post
    WHO is in charge of WHAT on the Pike?

I will raise the ante further- in light of all this, *and* further issues west on the Pike, including *another* pedestrian fatality, this time at Four Mile Run, I will call for a reduction of the speed limit on Columbia Pike through Arlington to 25 mph. Here's why- the right of way width was locked in place long ago, first by older buildings in the central section between George Mason and Courthouse Rd, then by all the new construction, built to the street. The rise of these mixed use buildings means more residents, higher density, more pedestrian and bike traffic in a limited space, all added to this major auto/bus commuter route.

If they say, "it can't be done", offer them East and West Broad St, Falls Church. Where Falls Church has made 25 work on a four lane street for decades now, ever since the Falls Church Police ran Volvo 244's provided by Don Beyer.

When we ask for a road diet on Seminary, the Nimbys say you can lower speeds with enforcement only because Falls Church. Falls Church is a low crime jurisdiction with essentially one main street (which the police need to be on to get anywhere anyway). Seminary is not the same, and I imagine Col Pike isn't either. Might still be a benefit to lowering the speed limit, but not nearly as much without changes to the road.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    without changes to the road.
    I need my "make it so" meme!