Likes Likes:  21
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AlexRenew waterways ride in Alexandria, 6/29

Post Thanks / Like

Default AlexRenew waterways ride in Alexandria, 6/29

AlexRenew would like to answer the question: what happens to your water after it goes down the drain or toilet?

This ride will follow the path our water takes in an effort to learn about the wastewater recovery process and how AlexRenew works to improve water quality in our local waterways. We’ll head up to the Four Mile Run Education Station and follow a route that will take us past the Potomac Yard Pump Station and the AlexRenew Wastewater Recovery Campus. We’ll also pass near one of the outfalls that AlexRenew will be remediating as part of its RiverRenew program. Come ride and gain a deeper appreciation of what our water transformers do every day to protect our waterways.

When: Saturday, June 29, at 9:00 a.m.
    Where: Meet at the main entrance to AlexRenew, 1800 Limerick St, Alexandria VA 22314. The route is about 8 miles, with a mix of trails and low-stress streets.
    Who: This no-drop ride is organized by Alexandria's Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee (and yours truly!) and is open to everyone.

Details and registration at http://bit.ly/WaterwaysRide. Registration is encouraged, but you are also welcome to join the ride on the day of. Let's ride!

2. Likes Judd, MrTinDC liked this post
    Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm signed up! The info that I learned about AlexRenew on the Earth Day Ride was super interesting and I'm looking forward to learning more about how Alexandria handles waste and stormwater.

Post Thanks / Like

Bump! Don't forget, the ride is this Saturday. Also, the AlexRenew team has offered to give us a special behind-the-scenes tour of one of the pumping stations. Hope to see you there!

5. Likes Judd, CaseyKane50, Emm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I understand that the end of the ride will include the opportunity to get tacos and beer.

7. Likes Judd, Emm, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by komorebi View Post
    Who: This no-drop ride is organized by Alexandria's Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee (and yours truly!) and is open to everyone.
    Are you sure you don't want to make this a keep up or be dropped ride and make everyone sprint between stops? Haha. Sorry. It just sounds funny that an educational tour-style ride could be competitive essentially.

Sorry I'm busy this weekend but otherwise I'd join. And I wonder if they'd be willing to take our monthly payment while we're there? ours is a teeny bit late. oops.

9. Likes Judd, komorebi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by creadinger View Post
    Are you sure you don't want to make this a keep up or be dropped ride and make everyone sprint between stops? Haha. Sorry. It just sounds funny that an educational tour-style ride could be competitive essentially.
    That's there mostly to reassure the people who worry that they aren't fast enough to keep up. I've gotten a few questions from newer or less confident riders concerned about being left behind or slowing the group down. If there's a better phrase or way to encourage those riders and let them know they're welcome to join, I'm all ears.

11. Likes Judd, creadinger liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by komorebi View Post
    That's there mostly to reassure the people who worry that they aren't fast enough to keep up. I've gotten a few questions from newer or less confident riders concerned about being left behind or slowing the group down. If there's a better phrase or way to encourage those riders and let them know they're welcome to join, I'm all ears.
    This ride will have five marshals to make sure everyone is safe and no one is left behind no matter what pace they ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Likes Emm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Look, I face the same dilemma on my Papillon Casual Coffee Rides. I am *all* about reassuring a rider who might be intimidated by a serious-looking rider. We are trying to grow ridership, are we not? And maybe you can inspire a new rider to take on Loudon County gravel someday.

Plus my wife would give me holy hell if I dropped her.

"We leave no one behind."

15. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

it really all depends on how slow we're talking about AMIRITE?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    it really all depends on how slow we're talking about AMIRITE?
    No. I think all of the marshals have volunteered for a judicial ride at some point which sometimes go a blistering 4-5 miles per hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Likes LhasaCM, Emm liked this post