Likes Likes:  12
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: June 2019 - Road and Trail Conditions

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    431
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default June 2019 - Road and Trail Conditions

    VA, Gallows RD Southbound bike lane: There is a pothole one block from the W&OD. See picture:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GallowsPothole1.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	20150

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Posts
    5,601
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by n18 View Post
    VA, Gallows RD Southbound bike lane: There is a pothole one block from the W&OD. See picture:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GallowsPothole1.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	20150
    Clearly someone is driving in the bike lane who shouldn't (or should I say a whole lotta someones?).

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    1,555
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    A bunch of limbs and greenery were down across the Theodore Roosevelt Bridge path after yesterday's rain.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190610_161146.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	20169

    There's a way through, but at the far end of it was some poison ivy growing out of the railing, so be careful.

    I posted it to 311. However, since DC never clears the drains such that after any rain, the Interstate loses a lane of traffic:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190610_161251.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	20170

    I have my doubts about how quickly they'll respond.
    Last edited by huskerdont; 06-11-2019 at 09:15 AM.

  4. Likes Steve O liked this post
  5. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Falls Church, VA
    Posts
    964
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Small tree down blocking about 1/2 of the width of Trollheim south of the TR Bridge exit.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    161
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Lots of ducks on the CCT between Fletcher's and Georgetown. They seem reticent to move and stay put to a hardy "on your left".

  7. Likes Judd, Emm, Steve O, ChristoB50 liked this post
  8. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    521
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The new Custis Trail in Rosslyn was open this morning (closing the sidewalk) between Oak and Lynn. I must say, that for brand new asphalt, it was very bumpy. I fear it will quickly get worse and be filled with puddles on days like today. Also, at all the road vehicle crossings (entrances to the Marriott and streets) the eastbound side dips into the "ramp" (Curb cut? I am sure there is a better name for this) and often not smoothly. I expect many wheeled vehicles to swerve to avoid those. It didn't look completely finished, so maybe it will be improved?

  9. #7
    dasgeh's Avatar
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    5,642
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrP View Post
    The new Custis Trail in Rosslyn was open this morning (closing the sidewalk) between Oak and Lynn. I must say, that for brand new asphalt, it was very bumpy. I fear it will quickly get worse and be filled with puddles on days like today. Also, at all the road vehicle crossings (entrances to the Marriott and streets) the eastbound side dips into the "ramp" (Curb cut? I am sure there is a better name for this) and often not smoothly. I expect many wheeled vehicles to swerve to avoid those. It didn't look completely finished, so maybe it will be improved?
    What's finished is just half of the trail. What was the trail will be improved, and I expect that a final layer will be put over both halves when they're both ready. Kinda like a double layer cake - you get the first layer ready, but you don't make everything smooth and pretty until both layers are together.

  10. Likes Judd liked this post
  11. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Falls Church, VA
    Posts
    964
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    What's finished is just half of the trail. What was the trail will be improved, and I expect that a final layer will be put over both halves when they're both ready. Kinda like a double layer cake - you get the first layer ready, but you don't make everything smooth and pretty until both layers are together.
    What is the final configuration going to be, pedestrian or bike lanes nearest the car travel lanes? If bikes are next to the road, the curb-cut issue will not be solved by another layer of asphalt finished with a good roller.

  12. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    1,555
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    A bunch of limbs and greenery were down across the Theodore Roosevelt Bridge path after yesterday's rain.

    I posted it to 311.

    I have my doubts about how quickly they'll respond.
    Two comments on this:

    1) It was still there yesterday, though the path through was more open and you would be highly unlikely to touch any of the poison ivy unless you tried.

    2) No response from the 311 folks, who took my name and email.

    3) I tried reposting the photos after turning them sideways, thinking a sideways pic of a sideways pic would be an upright pic. I was wrong.

    That's three things, but we live in a dishonest age.

  13. #10
    dasgeh's Avatar
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    5,642
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    What is the final configuration going to be, pedestrian or bike lanes nearest the car travel lanes? If bikes are next to the road, the curb-cut issue will not be solved by another layer of asphalt finished with a good roller.
    Officially a 16' wide, multiuse trail. Years ago I brought up mode separation, and was told the best we could hope for was separation via paint at the end of the project. I don't think that's the plan, though it would be consistent with the Bike Element.

    I would email the County if you think mode separation with paint is a good idea. des-teo@arlingtonva.us (that might not be the right one, but they should get it to the right person)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •