Likes Likes:  21
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Take Action: Extend the Quincy St PBL / A Critical Link to Fairfax County / eScooters

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Columbia Pike
    Posts
    1,499
    Post Thanks / Like

    Exclamation Take Action: Extend the Quincy St PBL / A Critical Link to Fairfax County / eScooters

    Support an extension of the Quincy Street Protected Bike Lane, bike facilities on 5th St S (a critical connection to Fairfax County) and give feedback on e-scooters, e-bikes and other shared use mobility devices.

    Here are three things you can do for better biking in Arlington this week.

    Want this in your inbox each week? Sign-up here at Sustainable Mobility for Arlington County.

  2. Likes dasgeh, Judd, wheels&wings liked this post
  3. #2
    Judd's Avatar
    Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    3,673
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I attended this meeting tonight along with several other forum members. It doesn't look like the materials from tonight are on the project page yet. There were a handful of people there that were there to defend parking spots and were not very kind to staff.

    There was a nice handout about how kids get to school at Washington-Liberty. About 25% of them do it by bike.

    There were three concepts presented. Concept A and B had improvements for pedestrians including additional crosswalks and stop lines and also some paint (and maybe flexposts?) at some some the intersections to create wider turning radiuses. There was not too much difference in either of these concepts for bikes other than creating a 4 foot wide bike lane north of Washington Blvd where the bike lane currently disappears into sharrows.

    Concept C included a paint buffered bike lane along with several pedestrian improvements.

    It was good to see several friends there and have a drink with them afterwards.

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Madison Manor
    Posts
    1,213
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Was planning to attend but work ran late. Just extending the bike lanes so they connect at Washington Blvd would have a high return on investment for safety.

  5. #4
    Judd's Avatar
    Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    3,673
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sjclaeys View Post
    Was planning to attend but work ran late. Just extending the bike lanes so they connect at Washington Blvd would have a high return on investment for safety.
    There will be opportunity to comment online which I hope you will do. I filled out a form yesterday but I always think of things afterwards. All three of the concepts would provide a full bike lane. Concept A and Concept B had just a four foot wide bike lane at the part north of Washington Boulevard where the bike lane currently drops out. We'll benefit from lots of feedback that the bike lane should not be less than a minimum 5' wide which is the NACTO recommended width, although 6' is the preferred width.

  6. Likes dasgeh liked this post
  7. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    152
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    I attended this meeting tonight along with several other forum members. It doesn't look like the materials from tonight are on the project page yet. There were a handful of people there that were there to defend parking spots and were not very kind to staff.

    There was a nice handout about how kids get to school at Washington-Liberty. About 25% of them do it by bike.

    There were three concepts presented. Concept A and B had improvements for pedestrians including additional crosswalks and stop lines and also some paint (and maybe flexposts?) at some some the intersections to create wider turning radiuses. There was not too much difference in either of these concepts for bikes other than creating a 4 foot wide bike lane north of Washington Blvd where the bike lane currently disappears into sharrows.

    Concept C included a paint buffered bike lane along with several pedestrian improvements.

    It was good to see several friends there and have a drink with them afterwards.
    If they are following the NACTO guidelines, then a buffered or protected bike lane would be the recommended treatment along Quincy St depending on the traffic volume. If the traffic volume is above 6k, which it may be, then a PBL would be warranted.

  8. Likes dasgeh liked this post
  9. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Madison Manor
    Posts
    1,213
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zsionakides View Post
    If they are following the NACTO guidelines, then a buffered or protected bike lane would be the recommended treatment along Quincy St depending on the traffic volume. If the traffic volume is above 6k, which it may be, then a PBL would be warranted.
    This answered a question I had about what are the criteria for installing a PBL. If the cite is handy, that would be great. Otherwise, I can search for it. My subjective impression is that the current strategy is to push for PBLs almost wherever there is road resurfacing. Having objective criteria to identify where PBLs would be most effective seems to be a better approach.

  10. Likes dasgeh liked this post
  11. #7
    dasgeh's Avatar
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    5,715
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sjclaeys View Post
    This answered a question I had about what are the criteria for installing a PBL. If the cite is handy, that would be great. Otherwise, I can search for it. My subjective impression is that the current strategy is to push for PBLs almost wherever there is road resurfacing. Having objective criteria to identify where PBLs would be most effective seems to be a better approach.
    May I refer you to page 47 of Arlington's own Bicycle Element of the Master Transportation Plan, adopted unanimously by the County Board in April of this year. Conveniently, the Board added language saying that those NACTO guidelines are the MINIMUM acceptable facility (see page 49). The current repaving seems to be part of project 3-05 in the plan, which specifically calls for a PBL on Quincy (page 57).

    So yeah, none of the plans are 100% compliant with the new Bike Element, though it seems like option C is with the exception of this one side of this one block.

  12. Likes Judd liked this post
  13. #8
    Judd's Avatar
    Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    3,673
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    May I refer you to page 47 of Arlington's own Bicycle Element of the Master Transportation Plan, adopted unanimously by the County Board in April of this year. Conveniently, the Board added language saying that those NACTO guidelines are the MINIMUM acceptable facility (see page 49). The current repaving seems to be part of project 3-05 in the plan, which specifically calls for a PBL on Quincy (page 57).

    So yeah, none of the plans are 100% compliant with the new Bike Element, though it seems like option C is with the exception of this one side of this one block.
    Thank you for saving me some time on locating this for my email comments.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. Likes Steve O, dasgeh liked this post
  15. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Madison Manor
    Posts
    1,213
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    May I refer you to page 47 of Arlington's own Bicycle Element of the Master Transportation Plan, adopted unanimously by the County Board in April of this year. Conveniently, the Board added language saying that those NACTO guidelines are the MINIMUM acceptable facility (see page 49). The current repaving seems to be part of project 3-05 in the plan, which specifically calls for a PBL on Quincy (page 57).

    So yeah, none of the plans are 100% compliant with the new Bike Element, though it seems like option C is with the exception of this one side of this one block.
    Cool, so where does one go to determine the "Target Max. Motor Vehicle Volume (ADT)" for a given street or portion of a street?

  16. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    152
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sjclaeys View Post
    Cool, so where does one go to determine the "Target Max. Motor Vehicle Volume (ADT)" for a given street or portion of a street?
    From VDOT's estimated counts, that part of Quincy St is 12k per day - https://www.virginiadot.org/info/res...ngton_2018.pdf. By NACTO that should require PBLs.

  17. Likes dasgeh liked this post

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •