Likes Likes:  21
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Take Action: Extend the Quincy St PBL / A Critical Link to Fairfax County / eScooters

Post Thanks / Like

Sharing the follow-up email from the County sent to to those interested in the project. On a personal note, I went early to the public meeting at W-L on Wednesday May 29 and witnessed pretty strong home-owner opposition to the project. If you support these, I suggest you weigh in at every opportunity, because I am confident they will.

From the County:

Hello there,

I wanted to follow-up with you about the Ballston-Cherrydale Mulitmodal Improvements project. As noted, N Quincy Street between the I-66 overpass and Fairfax Drive will be repaved and remarked in Summer 2019. Arlington’s routine maintenance and repaving program offers a low-cost opportunity to improve the safety of our streets, and staff have developed three concept plans for the Ballston-Cherrydale Multimodal Safety Improvement project.

If you or other community members were unable to attend the open house last week, the proposed concepts and meeting materials are posted on the project page. We invite you to review the materials and provide your feedback via our online tool until June 28.

I appreciate your help in sharing this information with your community and neighbors. Please feel free to reach out to me with any questions,

Erin

2. Likes wheels&wings, Judd liked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    Sharing the follow-up email from the County sent to to those interested in the project. On a personal note, I went early to the public meeting at W-L on Wednesday *June 5*and witnessed pretty strong home-owner opposition to the project. If you support these, I suggest you weigh in at every opportunity, because I am confident they will.
    Thanks Henry (and FTFY)

It's really frustrating that this is how the County makes decisions. We just had an extensive public process for the Bike Element, where the County Board weighed in to tell staff they weren't going far enough. And then in the first test, staff doesn't even propose one option that is consistent with the Bike Element that was just adopted. And in not doing so, they have skewed public perception -- the public thinks that a compromise would be something between A and C, when C is already a compromise down from what the County Board adopted as policy in the Bike Element.

Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Shall the Board be informed, then? Let them know that staff is not following the policies they just adopted?

Post Thanks / Like

Below are the comments that I provided:

"As an Arlington resident cyclist that regularly commutes along this route, Concept C is the best because it provides the most separation between vehicle and bicycle traffic. However, all three options are an improvement by providing continuous protection. I do not think that bollards or any other kind of protected bike lane is needed as long as sufficient traffic calming measures are incorporated into the plan and there is sufficient enforcement of speeding and parking restrictions."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    Thanks Henry (and FTFY)

It's really frustrating that this is how the County makes decisions. We just had an extensive public process for the Bike Element, where the County Board weighed in to tell staff they weren't going far enough. And then in the first test, staff doesn't even propose one option that is consistent with the Bike Element that was just adopted. And in not doing so, they have skewed public perception -- the public thinks that a compromise would be something between A and C, when C is already a compromise down from what the County Board adopted as policy in the Bike Element.
    Fairfax does the same thing. It makes it seriously hard to justify the effort of getting a pike/ped plan put together in the first place, since it ends up not actually meaning anything at all.

7. Likes dasgeh liked this post