Likes Likes:  90
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Help Name the Bicycle and Pedestrian Trail Along I-66

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crickey7 View Post
    I imagine it filling with windblown trash from the highway, and never getting cleaned up.
    There would be a 32" Jersey barrier and 6 feet chain link fence on top of it as shown in this PDF, so there should be less debris.
    Last edited by n18; 06-07-2019 at 11:33 AM.

2. Likes buschwacker, Bob James liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Air quality along the 66 trail will be unbearable in the summer. The soundwall will prevent dissipation of heat, highway noise, and exhaust fumes. When the asphalt road surface chips, vehicles will kick up pebbles at highway speeds, some of which will be flung over the jersey wall. None of those issues affect the WWB, which is paved with concrete rather than asphalt.

4. Likes huskerdont, wheels&wings liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zsionakides View Post
    There are a couple similar sections on the Custis trail where the trail is between the highway and sound wall, but those are shorter segments.
    Nowhere, however, is the Custis Trail as close to the road as the inside-the-sound-barrier portions of this trail, except perhaps where the Custis is outside the sound barrier.

6. Likes huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    Seems like it would be the ideal place for pathletes - they can ride without dealing with either dog walkers and slow bike riders OR with cars.
    Pathletes can avoid pedestrians, true, but that's a lot of pollution to be gulping in while breathing hard. Scoot about nails it on the air quality.

All in all, better to have than not have, and I'm happy for those whose commutes will be improved, but it is a huge lost opportunity for the recreationally inclined.

8. Likes bentbike33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    Nowhere, however, is the Custis Trail as close to the road as the inside-the-sound-barrier portions of this trail, except perhaps where the Custis is outside the sound barrier.
    The bridge over Spout Run is right next to the highway. Also the part coming out of Bon Air park.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bob James View Post
    66 Commuter Connection Trail. I would have loved this trail along 66 when I was commuting between Manassas and Capital Hill. As it was, I had to go an extra 10 miles each way for the safest way in. I like direct trails along highways when you have to get from point A to point B the quickest way. I would ride more scenic routes for recreational riding. Custis is good, but it's too hilly (especially westbound) to be commuter friendly (especially if when wet, snow, or ice on trail).
    That is a mind-boggling commute. Manassas to the Capitol, WITH an additional 10 miles of workaround, as a COMMUTE? Again, mind=blown. Respect!

11. Likes josh, wheels&wings liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I do agree that even though the design is terrible, it is better to have a trail along 66 than not.

We cyclists often lack direct routes that minimize distances and hills, partially because the optimal routes have already been claimed by highways full of high-speed automobiles. The decline of railroad usage has led to some nice trails like the W&OD, but highway corridors could be great opportunities to increase the accessibility of cycling between suburbs. When cycling requires us to divert onto back roads and residential streets, and those diversions add significant distance and/or hills, this increases the difficulty of a given trip and thus creates artificial barriers to increased bicycling mode share.

As an example: a trip from the east end of Columbia Pike to the SW DC waterfront. Driving: I can just hop on 395 and get a direct shot to 9th St SW one block north of Maine Ave. Cycling: after descending the hill on the Pike, I pass the 27 trail then make a U-turn to get back to it (b/c no curb cut in Columbia Pike median), go north around the Pentagon, cut through LBJ Grove, under and then over Humpback Bridge, cross 14th St Bridge, make a sharp turn at Jefferson Memorial to go back under the bridges on Ohio Drive, cut through the National Park Police parking lot, ride the sidewalk onto Case Bridge, then navigate two switchbacks into L'Enfant Circle before dropping out on 9th St SW.

Net result? A cycling route which is 40% longer than the corresponding driving route. And no new rider could find or follow this route without consulting a map or GPS multiple times. How many potential new riders will just give up rather than confronting and surmounting obstacles like these? How many folks are we discouraging and losing, due to infrastructure that forces bicyclists to stitch together table scraps rather than providing convenient and direct routes for them?

13. Likes Bob James, Tania liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Aside:

(Yes I know that no new rider would cycle on the Pike to begin with; they would choose the sidewalk/"trail" along its northside. But with the awful ramp crossings, poor sightlines, and narrow "dismount" section under the 27 bridge, I find that facility even less appealing than riding in the road there. Downhill at least. Uphill I always take the lane under the 27 bridge but usually move over to the sidewalk either at the next ramp or the driveway into the ANC Service Complex.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scoot View Post
    I do agree that even though the design is terrible, it is better to have a trail along 66 than not.
    Sometimes I think that, more often these days I think that if this is the best VDOT will do as part of a FOUR BILLION DOLLAR project, advocacy is just a complete waste of my time. Even if the trail were perfect, getting from the trail to anywhere else in Fairfax will suck, and there is zero indication that there will be substantial improvement to cycling across the board in Fairfax. Again, if this is the best they'd do on a trail that will be a rounding error in the overall project, what hope is there for real changes on all of the other roads? If anything, I'm more hesitant to ride nearby surface streets than I was 20 years ago because all VDOT has done in the past two decades is make them wider and faster.
    Last edited by mstone; 06-07-2019 at 01:07 PM.

16. Likes Steve O, wheels&wings liked this post
    Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zsionakides View Post
    The bridge over Spout Run is right next to the highway. Also the part coming out of Bon Air park.
    True. However, I-66 does not allow trucks and it is either 4 or (kind of) 6 lanes max. Nothing at all like the monstrosity that I-66 will be out there.

Also, except for perhaps 75 feet on the hill near Bon Air, cyclists are not hemmed in by a tall wall on their other side.