Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Help Name the Bicycle and Pedestrian Trail Along I-66

Post Thanks / Like

17. "Fairfax Unconcerned. Cyclists Killed? Try Highways As Trails" Trail
    18. "Soundwall Hides Icky Treadlers" Trail

2. Likes bentbike33, jrenaut, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    Isn't the trail next to 66 the "Custis Trail" ? why change it?
    Mary Anna Custis might get lonely once her husband has been banished from the area...

4. Likes ShawnoftheDread liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Arlington has the ART Bus; Since this connects to Fairfax, that Becomes FART.

Or the ART-CDT; All roadside trees cut down trail.

I vote for RIDE - the Roadside, Inhale Diesel Exhaust trail.

I just know that riding on it will be reminiscent of playing "Bob's Country Bunker" when you're The Blues Brothers' Band. Lucky that chicken wire is there!
    Last edited by phog; 06-04-2019 at 02:49 PM.

6. Likes bentbike33, wheels&wings liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChristoB50 View Post
    Custis is the short section of trail along 66 in Arlington. The new trail / enhancements under naming consideration above, runs through Fairfax County, along 66 outside the beltway...
    yes, it would be completely crazy to name the trail that runs along 66 the same thing regardless of whether its inside or outside the beltway. this is the same reason it's called 66 inside the beltway and...oh, nevemind

8. Likes bentbike33, dasgeh, wheels&wings liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There's a big "gap" of 66 with no trail running alongside it, between the FFX route and the start of the named Custis Trail near Patrick Henry... It would never occur to me to view that FFX route as a 'continuation' of the existing Custis (which itself, doesn't even run the length of 66 while inside the beltway.)

I couldn't tell (map was too tiny) if it the FFX trail route would connect to the WOD somewhere near the beltway? -- but surely it would...?

But if the FFX route connects cleanly with WOD, which then gives its spur-connection to Custis at Patrick Henry, its easy enough to envision calling that FFX portion "Custis" as well -- and simply signing the trail as "WOD / Custis" for the span of pavement that carries both named routes for a portion before they diverge...

Of course, "Custis" wasn't in the 8 voting options to begin with...

Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't tell (map was too tiny) if it the FFX trail route would connect to the WOD somewhere near the beltway? -- but surely it would...?
    The new trail only goes to Dunn Loring metro, with grade separated ramps that gets you to Gallows RD(There is no exit for cars to Gallows RD currently, nor one is planned), and from there you go to the W&OD. See a list of maps here, which are West first, East last. You need to scroll all the way down to the bottom to "Segment 3_08 Dunn Loring". Here is a link to the PDF, but it's huge.

Edit: See "View bicycle and pedestrian trail plans for Fairfax County" for an easier to see trail. Here is a link to the PDF. The purple parts are the segment inside the noise wall.
    Last edited by n18; 06-04-2019 at 05:10 PM.

11. Likes Judd, ChristoB50, buschwacker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

19. The "Why Couldn't We Also Build a Trail Alongside the 95/395/495 Projects" Trail

Post Thanks / Like

The “Cycling Route Afterthought Project” Trail.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

There's a big "gap" of 66 with no trail running alongside it, between the FFX route and the start of the named Custis Trail near Patrick Henry... It would never occur to me to view that FFX route as a 'continuation' of the existing Custis (which itself, doesn't even run the length of 66 while inside the beltway.)
    It's my understanding that the Custis Trail runs all the way to EFC, but is colocated with the W&OD west of Bon Air Park (Patrick Henry ish). That colocation is why Arlington can plow that section.

One advantage of keeping the name is establishing an expectation that the two indepedent segments will be joined.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    One advantage of keeping the name is establishing an expectation that the two indepedent segments will be joined.
    I suppose that means that one advantage of a different name is making it clear VDOT won't be pushed into doing anything more than they already have.