Likes Likes:  90
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 56

Thread: Help Name the Bicycle and Pedestrian Trail Along I-66

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Posts
    5,610
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    It's my understanding that the Custis Trail runs all the way to EFC, but is colocated with the W&OD west of Bon Air Park (Patrick Henry ish). That colocation is why Arlington can plow that section.

    One advantage of keeping the name is establishing an expectation that the two indepedent segments will be joined.
    Yeah, it's a little bizarre since mile post 0 for the Custis is at the Bon Air I-66 underpass (not even at the intersection with the W&OD), but there are still signs for the Custis until you hit Van Buren at Benjamin Bannaker Park. Go figure.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    falls church
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    the MVP! "Minimally Viable Path"

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Arlington, VA (W&OD MP4.5)
    Posts
    334
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Of the listed options, I would choose #6 Heart of Fairfax Trail (HFT) so we can call it the "Horrible F*ckin' Trail", or #7 Dogwood Trail (DT), so we can call it the "Dogsh*t Trail".

    #1, Kaleidoscope Tail, is probably a typo but would make an excellent band name.

  4. #24
    dasgeh's Avatar
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    5,659
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by consularrider View Post
    Yeah, it's a little bizarre since mile post 0 for the Custis is at the Bon Air I-66 underpass (not even at the intersection with the W&OD), but there are still signs for the Custis until you hit Van Buren at Benjamin Bannaker Park. Go figure.
    There's been lots of talk about signage -- I'll be sure to bring this up.

  5. Likes Judd liked this post
  6. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    277
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Connolly's Run (Ain't Payin' Tolls) or CRAPT Trail.

  7. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    St. Johns, MI
    Posts
    247
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    66 Commuter Connection Trail. I would have loved this trail along 66 when I was commuting between Manassas and Capital Hill. As it was, I had to go an extra 10 miles each way for the safest way in. I like direct trails along highways when you have to get from point A to point B the quickest way. I would ride more scenic routes for recreational riding. Custis is good, but it's too hilly (especially westbound) to be commuter friendly (especially if when wet, snow, or ice on trail).

  8. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Falls Church, VA
    Posts
    970
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob James View Post
    66 Commuter Connection Trail. I would have loved this trail along 66 when I was commuting between Manassas and Capital Hill. As it was, I had to go an extra 10 miles each way for the safest way in. I like direct trails along highways when you have to get from point A to point B the quickest way. I would ride more scenic routes for recreational riding. Custis is good, but it's too hilly (especially westbound) to be commuter friendly (especially if when wet, snow, or ice on trail).
    I don't think any of the critics here oppose the idea of a trail being built along with the I-66 re-construction, but rather the way it will be built with so much of the trail on the I-66 road grade separated by a glorified jersey barrier rather than outside the soundwall.

  9. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,248
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    I don't think any of the critics here oppose the idea of a trail being built along with the I-66 re-construction, but rather the way it will be built with so much of the trail on the I-66 road grade separated by a glorified jersey barrier rather than outside the soundwall.
    And the way that VDOT kept that particular detail a secret until it was too late to change.

  10. Likes Steve O liked this post
  11. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    MoCo
    Posts
    1,017
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Yep, they had a choice between making it a decent, useable trail, and making it something that looks good only on a map.

  12. Likes wheels&wings, Steve O liked this post
  13. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    140
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crickey7 View Post
    Yep, they had a choice between making it a decent, useable trail, and making it something that looks good only on a map.
    While I don't think it's ideal to have the trail inside the sound wall, I would rather have more trails that are separated, than worry about them being next to a highway.

    In my case it would have been great if they built a trail along 395/95 like they are doing for 66. They could put the whole thing inside the sound wall and I'd ride it to avoid the long roundabout ways I have to commute by.

  14. Likes n18, Tania liked this post

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •