Likes Likes:  90
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Help Name the Bicycle and Pedestrian Trail Along I-66

Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    It's my understanding that the Custis Trail runs all the way to EFC, but is colocated with the W&OD west of Bon Air Park (Patrick Henry ish). That colocation is why Arlington can plow that section.

One advantage of keeping the name is establishing an expectation that the two indepedent segments will be joined.
    Yeah, it's a little bizarre since mile post 0 for the Custis is at the Bon Air I-66 underpass (not even at the intersection with the W&OD), but there are still signs for the Custis until you hit Van Buren at Benjamin Bannaker Park. Go figure.

Post Thanks / Like

the MVP! "Minimally Viable Path"

Post Thanks / Like

Of the listed options, I would choose #6 Heart of Fairfax Trail (HFT) so we can call it the "Horrible F*ckin' Trail", or #7 Dogwood Trail (DT), so we can call it the "Dogsh*t Trail".

#1, Kaleidoscope Tail, is probably a typo but would make an excellent band name.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by consularrider View Post
    Yeah, it's a little bizarre since mile post 0 for the Custis is at the Bon Air I-66 underpass (not even at the intersection with the W&OD), but there are still signs for the Custis until you hit Van Buren at Benjamin Bannaker Park. Go figure.
    There's been lots of talk about signage -- I'll be sure to bring this up.

5. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Connolly's Run (Ain't Payin' Tolls) or CRAPT Trail.

Post Thanks / Like

66 Commuter Connection Trail. I would have loved this trail along 66 when I was commuting between Manassas and Capital Hill. As it was, I had to go an extra 10 miles each way for the safest way in. I like direct trails along highways when you have to get from point A to point B the quickest way. I would ride more scenic routes for recreational riding. Custis is good, but it's too hilly (especially westbound) to be commuter friendly (especially if when wet, snow, or ice on trail).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bob James View Post
    66 Commuter Connection Trail. I would have loved this trail along 66 when I was commuting between Manassas and Capital Hill. As it was, I had to go an extra 10 miles each way for the safest way in. I like direct trails along highways when you have to get from point A to point B the quickest way. I would ride more scenic routes for recreational riding. Custis is good, but it's too hilly (especially westbound) to be commuter friendly (especially if when wet, snow, or ice on trail).
    I don't think any of the critics here oppose the idea of a trail being built along with the I-66 re-construction, but rather the way it will be built with so much of the trail on the I-66 road grade separated by a glorified jersey barrier rather than outside the soundwall.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    I don't think any of the critics here oppose the idea of a trail being built along with the I-66 re-construction, but rather the way it will be built with so much of the trail on the I-66 road grade separated by a glorified jersey barrier rather than outside the soundwall.
    And the way that VDOT kept that particular detail a secret until it was too late to change.

10. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep, they had a choice between making it a decent, useable trail, and making it something that looks good only on a map.

12. Likes wheels&wings, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crickey7 View Post
    Yep, they had a choice between making it a decent, useable trail, and making it something that looks good only on a map.
    While I don't think it's ideal to have the trail inside the sound wall, I would rather have more trails that are separated, than worry about them being next to a highway.

In my case it would have been great if they built a trail along 395/95 like they are doing for 66. They could put the whole thing inside the sound wall and I'd ride it to avoid the long roundabout ways I have to commute by.

14. Likes n18, Tania liked this post