Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Occupy... your afternoon commute :/

Post Thanks / Like

Default Occupy... your afternoon commute :/

FYI... I saw on the news this morning that there will be a large, foul smelling, disorganized, and probably illegal march of the so-called "protesters" through downtown and across the Key Bridge into Arlington during the afternoon rush hour today. Apparently they believe making life miserable for those who actually go to work and earn a living will make people believe in whatever their cause is today. I know a lot of people commute that way (bike or car) so plan accordingly. It could fall apart before it begins and amount to nothing, or it could be a nightmare.

Post Thanks / Like

For some reason, your post makes me sympathetic with the protesters.

PotomacCyclist is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

It's cold and miserable outside. That will probably limit the numbers of the pack, especially from the Arlington side. There are supposed to be two separate groups, one from downtown and another from Ballston. They plan to meet up at Key Bridge, according to ARLnow.

I made the suggestion that the protesters march on Ballston Common Mall instead, for being such a lousy use of a great location. But that idea didn't go over very well.

Post Thanks / Like

Occupy DC has done nothing to upset/bother me. Just a big group of people standing up for the many things they believe in. Nuthin' wrong with that.

We'll see if my opinion changes this evening :-) I had to drive the ol' Civic in :-(

Now mostly Manhattan (NYC) with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

While the temperature might be a little chiller this afternoon, it should be clearing up by the time of the march. Depending on how this comes off, it may adversely affect travel to WABA's happy hour. Maybe heading south and crossing on the 14th St Bridge will help get around the potential gridlock. Since I can see Key Bridge from my desk at work, I post an update later on this afternoon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrkenny83 View Post
    Occupy DC has done nothing to upset/bother me. Just a big group of people standing up for the many things they believe in. Nuthin' wrong with that.

We'll see if my opinion changes this evening :-) I had to drive the ol' Civic in :-(
    I heard them yelling at a poor lady in a suit the other day about being in the 1% and asking if they scared her. When they first started they seemed intent on blocking traffic on Constitution, 14th, etc as they marched through the streets. For the most part they seem to have calmed down imo.

In the end, all protest groups in DC end up sucking regardless of their intentions/politics, etc. We'll see how long NPS lets them stay although they let the anti-nuclear guy (passed away a few years ago I think) stay forever it seemed in Lafeyette Park.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PotomacCyclist View Post
    I made the suggestion that the protesters march on Ballston Common Mall instead, for being such a lousy use of a great location. But that idea didn't go over very well.
    Ha! You ignore the great & glorious history of that mall, originally called Parkington and a major milestone in the development of the car-oriented shopping mall when it opened in 1951. "Parkington was the first U.S. shopping center built around a multi-story parking garage." "was believed to have the largest parking garage in the United States when it opened."

Perhaps the cycling community should march on it (roll on it??) and perform an exorcism.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Overtone View Post
    Perhaps the cycling community should march on it (roll on it??) and perform an exorcism.
    Only if you can get Dart Drug, Orange Julius, Waldenbooks, JC Penney's, and Hecht's to come back. (Well, I guess you can get Macy's to simply change their sifgn....)

baiskeli is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jabberwocky View Post
    For some reason, your post makes me sympathetic with the protesters.
    Me too.

Post Thanks / Like

I plan to occupy my cargo bike. We'll see how that blends with other people who are occupying things.