Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: When someone yells at you from their car....

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default When someone yells at you from their car....

Name:  263601_10150231050943292_128247983291_7407429_6465192_n.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  80.4 KB

Post Thanks / Like

You're supposed to give them a kitten?

While I am sure that would be unexpected, I don't think I want to ride with kittens. What happens if they get loose? Cat herding is difficult as it is, but on a bike? Yikes!

Post Thanks / Like

You could always make kitten coupons to hand out - a photo of a kitten needing adoption from the local SPCA, along with the address and phone number. That would kill quite a few birds with just one stone. Although hopefully the kitten wouldn't kill any birds.

PotomacCyclist is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been yelled at by an old boss as he was driving by. I'm pretty sure it was him because in all the time that I've been walking and cycling around area sidewalks and roads, he's the only guy that has done that (with one exception). He used to do that when he saw me walking to the office on the sidewalk. I guess it provides some sort of weird thrill for him. I wasn't cycling back then.

A few years after I left (primarily because of that boss), I got a "drive-by yelling" while I was on my bike, stopped on a sidewalk before an intersection. Based on the strangeness of the comment and the fact that I wasn't even in the road, and the similarities to other situations, I'm 98% sure it was the old boss. I guess it was the 10 cups of coffee that got to him. Or maybe the possible steroids. (Not kidding about that. The guy had some serious 'roid rages, in the office.)

Post Thanks / Like

I blow kisses. I've triggered screaming torrents of anger by blowing a kiss to a driver who was angry with me.

Kill em with kindness.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PrintError View Post
    I blow kisses. I've triggered screaming torrents of anger by blowing a kiss to a driver who was angry with me.

Kill em with kindness.
    I BLOW KISSES TOO!!!!! A kiss and a little smile go a loooong way. It's worked the best, thus far.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a huge variety of things that I do. Very few of which display any anger. Lately I've been singing a lot. I sing something happy. If I can, I talk to them... The "H.I.Y.H" sign on the back of the cargo bike often gets some interesting reactions. 99% of the people who honk at me now are laughing and giving me a thumbs up.

The ones who are truly angry will roll up and talk to me. "I won't give you the satisfaction of honking at you." is a common response. I make a happy, friendly comment in return. I had a woman roll up next to me and say that she wasn't horny, she was angry. I suggested that being horny is an okay thing and nothing to get angry about. I delivered it with a big smile. She still didn't think it or I was funny. I had someone roll up and wanted to make it very clear that she was NOT the one that was honking... that it was her 11 year old daughter.

I've got lots of great experiences with the H.I.Y.H sign... most of which can't really be shared on a family friendly web forum. Lets just say that lots of happy people toot and wave now, and the ones with bananas stuck in their tailpipes very rarely display their displeasure.

Win/win in my book.

Hugs and kisses,

Pete

Post Thanks / Like

A smile and a wave takes the wind out of their sails, if not immediately then over the next several minutes. I have, of course, also used other techniques, such as when someone says "GO RIDE ON THE BIKEPATH!!!", I say, "Go drive on the Beltway!".

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
    The ones who are truly angry will roll up and talk to me. "I won't give you the satisfaction of honking at you." is a common response. I make a happy, friendly comment in return. I had a woman roll up next to me and say that she wasn't horny, she was angry. I suggested that being horny is an okay thing and nothing to get angry about. I delivered it with a big smile. She still didn't think it or I was funny. I had someone roll up and wanted to make it very clear that she was NOT the one that was honking... that it was her 11 year old daughter.

Pete
    Wow, good thing you've steered clear of political stickers (e.g., who you're going to vote in the next election) - now those could generate some unwelcome reactions!

Glad to hear most people laugh and go along with the joke though I must admit I didn't know what "horny" meant when I was 11 years old!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WillStewart View Post
    A smile and a wave takes the wind out of their sails, if not immediately then over the next several minutes. I have, of course, also used other techniques, such as when someone says "GO RIDE ON THE BIKEPATH!!!", I say, "Go drive on the Beltway!".
    I was riding down Lewinsville when someone yelled "RIDE THE TRAIL, A&&H0L3!". I replied, "That's where I'm heading!"

11. 11-18-2011, 06:35 AM

Reason
    Post suggests or advocates criminal activity