Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0

Thread: Platform Hitch Rack Recommendations

Post Thanks / Like

Default Platform Hitch Rack Recommendations

I'm looking into getting a platform hitch rack. The Thule T2 Pro XT seems to get the best ratings, but I'm also interested in the Saris SuperClamp EX. Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I know several people who are very pleased with the Kuat racks. Next time I need one, that's likely what I'll go to. Currently have the Saris Freedom and have been pleased with it. However, it does not fold, where the Kaut does. Both come with a mechanism to stiffen the connection between the hitch and the rack, which creates a much more stable platform for your bike(s).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sjclaeys View Post
    I'm looking into getting a platform hitch rack. The Thule T2 Pro XT seems to get the best ratings, but I'm also interested in the Saris SuperClamp EX. Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks
    I have the prior version of the super clamp. The version I have doesn't have the tilt function, but it is otherwise identical.

Given the option, I'd buy it again. It's light enough I can take it on and off my car easily (about 15 lbs lighter than the Thule rack), it's VERY easy to load my bikes onto, and it works fine with racks, fenders, and bikes of vastly different sizes. The cable it comes with is also a nice feature. I wont really keep your bikes safe in an city parking garage, but it keeps the bikes secure when you run into a highway rest stop, or if you take other short periods away from your bikes.

If/when I look for a new rack I may also consider the 1up racks, but since my car is a small ford focus, I can only use the options with smaller hitch sizes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sjclaeys View Post
    I've been using the 1UpUSA since August 2009 on my Honda Fit. It's made primarily of aluminum so it withstands weather well, has never failed me, and is dead simple to use even if you have two vastly different size bikes (I'm a foot taller than my wife).

I also got one of the heavier duty ones about 4 years ago for my Subie Forester that is built with two bike holders and can fitted with two more to carry 4 max. That's another thing I love about this rack, how you can easily add extra carriers, or just have 1 attached (depending on the model).

Asheville, NC Trip 2016 by ricky d, on Flickr

When I started using it, I only knew 1 other person that had one, but now I see them everywhere and a lot of my friends have them. I always recommend them despite the cost.

Post Thanks / Like

Kuat Sherpa 2.0 works pretty well for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all of the recommendations so far and please keep them coming. To help winnow things down, I'm not interested in Kuat or Yakima for broader reasons.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Kuat NV 2.0 (the rack you saw in my NBD photo). I actually really like it, but I am selling it in the next few weeks (already have a buyer, or I would offer it up here) and buying a 1up due to the positioning of the backup camera on my new bike carrier. The 1up has a slimmer profile when folded and will cause less interference (and hopefully stop that godawful beeping) when backing up.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Thule T2 platform rack. It's been great! When I was researching I was deciding between Thule and Kuat.