Likes Likes:  50
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WABA Sweet Ride and Shindig - June 15th

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by komorebi View Post
    Thanks for the feedback, dasgeh. I'll pass it along to WABA. Some responses/questions below.

0. The Mt Vernon Ave Bridge is under construction. Have you confirmed how the rides will cross & that it's family friendly? (5 mile)

The next bridge to the west, on Glebe Ave, is under construction. But the Mt Vernon Ave bridge was construction-free when I rode through last week. Is there a new project on the Mt Vernon Ave bridge that I'm not aware of? The bridge is admittedly very narrow, and I've recommended that WABA give some thought into how they stagger the timing of the different rides to avoid conflicts.
    The construction on the Mount Vernon Avenue Bridge impacts the west side sidewalk. The sidewalk on the east side is open and is not currently planned to be closed.

2. Likes Judd, dasgeh liked this post
    Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    WABA has a brand new signature ride and it's in Virginia! Join me on June 15th for the Sweet Ride and Shindig!

This event has something for everyone with four routes ranging from 5 miles to 50 miles. The 5 mile route will be safe for your kiddos to ride and children 12 and under can ride for free.

The ride will begin and end at the Grounds in Pentagon City which is across from the Whole Foods. The after ride party is called the Shindig and will be a free block party open to anyone. There will be live music, games, food trucks and beer.

To sign up to ride, visit waba.org/sweet

Because I think you're all rad, if you use promo code Judd2019! when you register, you'll get $10 off your registration. If you want to use some of that sweet savings to buy me a beer, that would be cool.

Who's in?
    Sorry, my flight that day doesn't land until 13:45 at Dulles.

Judd is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by consularrider View Post
    Sorry, my flight that day doesn't land until 13:45 at Dulles.
    Booooooooo!

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the feedback, dasgeh. I'll pass it along to WABA. Some responses/questions below.

The next bridge to the west, on Glebe Ave, is under construction. But the Mt Vernon Ave bridge was construction-free when I rode through last week. Is there a new project on the Mt Vernon Ave bridge that I'm not aware of? The bridge is admittedly very narrow, and I've recommended that WABA give some thought into how they stagger the timing of the different rides to avoid conflicts.
    See Casey's note -- there is definitely something going on with Mt Vernon Ave. It sounds like the east side is open, but I strongly recommend talking to DES to make sure they don't make changes that impact the ride.

On a typical Saturday afternoon, how is the traffic if you're trying to turn left from Nelly Custis onto Lorcom? I've gotten stuck there in the past waiting to make that turn, because of the amount of Lorcom traffic in both directions. The hill leading up to Military/Lorcom sucks, but at least there's a left turn lane to wait in and you'll get the light eventually. That seemed to me to be the lesser of two evils.
    At Military and Lorcom, the left turn lane doesn't get a protected light. I live less than half a mile away, and I would take Nelly Custis. There's also a crosswalk, and I've moved over to it to get a break in traffic when necessary.

I also strongly prefer not to use the MVT for group rides, but I recommended an exception in this case because (1) this is an open section of the MVT, without any blind curves; (2) using this section of the MVT avoids some of the dangerous highway-ramp crossings on the Route 27 trail, including the one that requires people to make a sharp right on a narrow platform or risk tumbling down a steep hill; and (3) thisÂ’ll show people how to ride the MVT-LBJ-Pentagon connector, which is a useful route to know about.
    I've done led group rides on this stretch of the MVT, and recommend against it. Your route also has highway crossings - unfortunately, they are a fact of life in that party of the County. I find the 27 trail a much more useful connector than the LBJ connector, because 27 is so much shorter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    See Casey's note -- there is definitely something going on with Mt Vernon Ave. It sounds like the east side is open, but I strongly recommend talking to DES to make sure they don't make changes that impact the ride.
    I ride this section every day. It's completely open on the east side, and it will stay open since the deterioration does not affect that side. They've installed numerous, semi-permanent signs directing people to the east side.

They've confirmed that the east side will remain open via press releases, notes to citizens associations, and notes to other affected parties numerous times since the issue was discovered a few months ago. They will NOT be closing the east sidewalk unless something unexpected and catastrophic happens, since it's a VERY important crossing for bikes and pedestrians in the area.

Since I live close by I've paid very close attention to this issue since this bridge, and the one just north where both sidewalks are closed, are on my commute.

https://newsroom.arlingtonva.us/rele...dewalk-closed/

https://www.arlnow.com/2019/01/15/sa...to-alexandria/

7. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a fun route, and there there will be quite a bit of new territory for me, like Lake Barcroft. I also signed up for the volunteer night on 6/11 so hope to see a few of you there, too!

9. Likes Judd, LhasaCM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by secstate View Post
    Looks like a fun route, and there there will be quite a bit of new territory for me, like Lake Barcroft. I also signed up for the volunteer night on 6/11 so hope to see a few of you there, too!
    Hoooray! Thank you for signing up. Josephine did a fantastic job showcasing great places to ride in Virginia and I hope it exposes you to places you will want to ride again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Likes LhasaCM, secstate liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    WABA has a brand new signature ride and it's in Virginia! Join me on June 15th for the Sweet Ride and Shindig!

This event has something for everyone with four routes ranging from 5 miles to 50 miles. The 5 mile route will be safe for your kiddos to ride and children 12 and under can ride for free.

The ride will begin and end at the Grounds in Pentagon City which is across from the Whole Foods. The after ride party is called the Shindig and will be a free block party open to anyone. There will be live music, games, food trucks and beer.

To sign up to ride, visit waba.org/sweet

Because I think you're all rad, if you use promo code JUDD2019! when you register, you'll get $10 off your registration. If you want to use some of that sweet savings to buy me a beer, that would be cool.

Who's in?
    You’re almost out of time to register for the WABA Sweet Ride and Shindig which is happening this Saturday. We’ve got four great routes all of which end at a block party. I’ve just received confirmation that the beer will be provided by Port City.

It sounds like most of the forum folks that I know are going to be doing the 50 mile route. I suggest following the most excellent ride marshal Emm if you’re doing the long route. I will most likely be doing the 5 or the 15 mile route so I can talk with as many lovely WABA members as possible.

The JUDD2019! discount code is still available to save 25% off your registration.

I hope to see you on Saturday!

Judd

13. Likes CBGanimal, Emm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I signed up for the 15 mile route to keep Judd company. The least I could do for my $10 discount.

15. Likes CBGanimal, LhasaCM, ChristoB50, Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey everyone! I had a Sweet Ride and Shindig Committee Call yesterday and there's lots of good news:

1. We are approaching 300 registrants!
    2. Thirty of you lovely people have used the promo code JUDD2019! when you registered!
    3. I have confirmation that Port City will be the beer vendor! (I'm drinking all of the Optimal Wit!)
    4. The Sweet Ride bandanas have arrived! - https://twitter.com/WABADC/status/1138907391531945984
    5. There's still time to register!

I'll be on the 15 mile route. In addition to Ken, a couple of other folks are planning to do the 15 miler with me. I'll be at the event first thing though to say hello to all of you fantastic WABA members. If we haven't met yet, be sure to say hello.

See you all on Saturday.

17. Likes LhasaCM, ChristoB50, Starduster liked this post