Likes Likes:  12
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4/30 Cyclst Down at Clarendon Circle

Now mostly Manhattan (NYC) with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 4/30 Cyclst Down at Clarendon Circle

I came by this spot in front of the Silver Diner at noon today. There were already an EMT unit, a police car, a police motorcycle, and two young ladies helping out. The cyclist was on a hybrid and there were two or three grocery bags lying next to to the bike. I couldn't tell if it was a man or woman, and I didn't see a car there either. The EMTs were evaluating the person's neck and looked like they were getting ready to transport. Nothing on Arlington Now or the ACPD site.

Post Thanks / Like

For what it's worth, Arlnow's editor tweeted that Arlington FD says they were NOT hit by a motor vehicle and that they're in stable condition with non-life-threatening injuries.

https://twitter.com/howisthatlegal/s...79022497177601

Post Thanks / Like

My guess is it was one of the giant potholes in that intersection that took him/her down.

I can not wait for construction to be finished and for them to repave that area. It truly is awful.

4. Likes Steve O, dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wonder if he hit the raised brick pavers in the median on Wilson heading East, one time crossing against a bunch of people I clipped one edge with my (thankfully unoccupied) trailer which promptly overturned causing much anguished cries from onlookers while I sheepishly picked it upright and pushed my bike to the sidewalk.

Edit: Nope, the photo appears to show the incident at the corner of Irving and Wash Blvd
    Last edited by Dewey; 05-01-2019 at 12:32 PM.

Now mostly Manhattan (NYC) with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
    Wonder if he hit the raised brick pavers in the median on Wilson heading East, one time crossing against a bunch of people I clipped one edge with my (thankfully unoccupied) trailer which promptly overturned causing much anguished cries from onlookers while I sheepishly picked it upright and pushed my bike to the sidewalk.

Edit: Nope, the photo appears to show the incident at the corner of Irving and Wash Blvd
    I was guessing the cyclist was carrying the grocery bags, lost control and did an endo over the handlebars.

Post Thanks / Like

Plausible, recently in Clarendon I saw an electric scooter riding on Wilson with a Trader Joe's shopping bag hanging off each handlebar.

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Plausible, recently in Clarendon I saw an electric scooter riding on Wilson with a Trader Joe's shopping bag hanging off each handlebar.

Impossible. I have it on good authority that e-scooters are only ridden by joy riding tourists.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    e-scooters are only ridden by joy riding tourists.
    Not only but also...

I was reminded this week there are visitors who have never seen an electric scooter or bicycle infrastructure. A father and daughter riding 2-up on an e-scooter up and down the sidewalk outside the Residence Inn Ballston nearly rode down my 3-year old after she climbed out of her bike trailer and turned around to walk across the sidewalk into a restaurant. Unsure how outreach about the no-sidewalk, no-passengers, rules works for people who can’t recognize when a protected bike lane is right in front of them or that it is the authorized place to ride.
    Last edited by Dewey; 05-02-2019 at 07:53 PM.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Unsure how outreach about the no-sidewalk, no-passengers, rules works for people who can’t recognize when a protected bike lane is right in front of them or that it is the authorized place to ride.
    Hotels. Seriously, it would be great if we could get some snazzy Bike/WalkArlington brochures about transportation options and how to use them, and get them on those car-free diet kiosks. Makes sense to wait until Arlington makes the pilot final, which should be by next January, though they could start planning now.

PS. sidewalk scooter riding will be legal July 1

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Meanwhile we can all help. Other day I was riding SB on the Eads PBL, saw someone coming the other way - turned out to be someone on a scooter. Other than going the wrong way, he was actually riding pretty sanely, and IIRC may even have been wearing a helmet. I calmly explained that the bike lanes have directions, that there was a NB one on the other side of the street. He seemed apologetic, and said he took this one because of the side of the street it was on. I said (in what I hope was not a snarky voice) "that's why there are crosswalks". It was a much more positive interaction than I have had with people on bikes who ride NB in the SB Eads PBL.

12. Likes Dewey, buschwacker liked this post