Likes Likes:  71
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Police Car Strikes Cyclists in Alexandria

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DismalScientist View Post
    If you look at the first video, there was, in fact, a green arrow for southbound traffic to turn right. With the protected right turn, the cyclist did have a "do not walk" signal, which is also clear in the first video.
    I sadly think this is one of those "both people did something they shouldn't" situations. The cyclist entered the intersection when there was a "do not walk" signal. The officer did NOT pay attention, and blew through a red light without double checking to his right (or possibly checking at all) because he simply assumed no one would be there.. in a crosswalk, or on a sidewalk

IF we pretend everyone is equal, the fact they only ticketed the cyclist, when it very clearly appears to be a shared responsibility issue is just ridiculous.

But keeping in mind that pedestrians and cyclists are more vulnerable, it really is the duty of drivers to PAY CLOSER ATTENTION, and look carefully before they do risky maneuvers like turning right on red. The officer did not pay close attention, and therefor caused a crash.

Post Thanks / Like

It's pretty clear the officer had asserted his right of way by completely blocking the striped crosswalk while stopped before beginning the right-turn-on-red.

3. Likes Steve O, jrenaut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The first video shows that the police car was stopped after crossing the white line, in other words, it didn't stop before doing a right-turn-on-red. It may have stopped before crossing the white line, then stopped again over the crosswalk, but I doubt it. FCPD conveniently didn't include the stopping footage.

Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

It is hard to tell, but it may be that the person riding the bike entered the intersection on the walk signal - or perhaps the blinking hand? It appears the red hand goes steady about the time of the collision.

Someone turning right on red never has the "right of way." They are secondary to all other users and may only turn after ascertaining there are no conflicts.

6. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    I sadly think this is one of those "both people did something they shouldn't" situations. The cyclist entered the intersection when there was a "do not walk" signal. The officer did NOT pay attention, and blew through a red light without double checking to his right (or possibly checking at all) because he simply assumed no one would be there.. in a crosswalk, or on a sidewalk

IF we pretend everyone is equal, the fact they only ticketed the cyclist, when it very clearly appears to be a shared responsibility issue is just ridiculous.

But keeping in mind that pedestrians and cyclists are more vulnerable, it really is the duty of drivers to PAY CLOSER ATTENTION, and look carefully before they do risky maneuvers like turning right on red. The officer did not pay close attention, and therefor caused a crash.
    It's the American Way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brett L. View Post
    Can we start treating having a drivers license like a privilege rather than a right, and implement a zero tolerance policy? You were at fault in an incident, say goodbye to your license. You are never allowed to step behind the wheel of a car again. Everyone is in favor of getting the "bad" drivers off the road, but no one wants to admit that they might be one of them. We'll soon see a drastic reduction in vehicles on the road, increasing trip efficiency and safety for everyone!
    Before we do this, we have to increase public transportation so that people who lose licenses have other options. In dense areas you can survive without a license. In suburbs and beyond, you can't.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    Before we do this, we have to increase public transportation so that people who lose licenses have other options. In dense areas you can survive without a license. In suburbs and beyond, you can't.
    Chicken / egg. Strip people of ability to drive, you'll see the demand for alternative transportation options shoot up.

... I know that this isn't going to happen, and I'm really just venting about a fantasy of mine where people start taking responsibility or suffer real consequences.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

10. Likes dasgeh, jrenaut, scoot, wheels&wings liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brett L. View Post
    Chicken / egg. Strip people of ability to drive, you'll see the demand for alternative transportation options shoot up.
    I hear you. But I fear that the people with real political power won't be hit hard by this, while those who have very little could have their lives destroyed.

12. Likes LhasaCM, buschwacker, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    ... could have their lives destroyed.
    Any more so than the families of Dave Salovesh and Abdul Seck?

Post Thanks / Like

That said, you are right that poor offenders would be far more inconvenienced than wealthy ones. Which is a problem. But the same asymmetry of punishments' impact already holds true for any criminal offense/punishment, not just those involving driving. To fix this, a far broader solution is necessary.