Likes Likes:  143
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cyclist struck and killed at 1200 Florida NE (DC)

Post Thanks / Like

I never met Dave, but rootchopper's account of how Dave fought for U-turn barriers on Pennsylvania Avenue moved me to tears. I bike on the Pennsylvania Avenue cycletrack regularly, and I will always be grateful to Dave and the others who worked to make that street safer.

On the way back from the ghost bike installation today, I witnessed the following scene, which seemed like a fitting tribute to Dave:

Scene: a family walking across Pennsylvania Avenue at 13th Street, clearly visiting from out of town. Man, gesturing: "That's nice. Bike lanes. I like that."

Roll in peace, Dave.

Post Thanks / Like

3. Likes streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

5. Likes Nadine, Steve O, streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't get to know Dave, but I did follow him on twitter. Through his efforts and from many of you I've learned a lot about bicycling advocacy, how difficult it can be to get enforcement, and generally how to make cycling in a city safer. Aside from a couple of complaints here or there I can't say that I have spoken up on these things to any of the local jurisdictions, but I'm sure as hell going to make more of an effort. I figure the least I can do is actually stop for 5 seconds to take a picture of the driver parked in a bike lane and send to the jurisdiction who should care instead of just going around etc..

Did he also have a presence on this forum?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by creadinger View Post
    Did he also have a presence on this forum?
    DSalovesh. He hadn't been active here in a while.

8. Likes streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yesterday we mourned. Today? Time to raise holy hell.

Judd is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

A few pictures from yesterday’s ghost bike installation for Dave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Human Protected Bike Lanes in Memory of Dave Salovesh?

I am deeply saddened to hear of the tragic death of Dave Salovesh and extend my heartfelt condolences to all who knew him. Recently I was in San Francisco where another cyclist was killed due to lack of protected bike lanes. After mourning her, the bike community organized a Human Protected Bike Lanes protest. They set a date and time and lined up along the route where she was killed, wearing T shirts and holding signs demanding protected bike lanes. They do this each time somebody is killed, in addition to the ghost bike. It was a moving demonstration and generated plenty of publicity. Enforcement isn't enough. Those of us who travel without armor need protection from those who move about in massive, heavy deadly machines. You can see a video news report here: https://abc7news.com/cyclists-demand...oward/5197753/

I didn't know Dave but would be pleased to join a Human Protected Bike Lane action and would bring a dozen cyclists I know from Arlington. How about next Sunday, April 28?

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been observing radio silence for a few days (spent Passover with Orthodox people, and my phone was off). I did hear about this terrible thing on Friday, as we were headed there.

I did not know Dave (I may have met him at an event?) But this hit home. Because its been such a loss for several people I do know personally. That he was a bike advocate, and over 50, has also given me the willies (we probably shouldn't identify more with people who are "like us" but human reality is many of us do) I am sad, and want to extend condolences to everyone who knew Dave.

I know people in DC are renewing their advocacy work, as (I am told) he would have wanted. I would like to inform my own advocacy work in Alexandria with the same spirit, but I am still working out how.

Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Watch this amazing video from last night's County Board hearing on the Bike Element of the Transportation Master Plan.