Likes Likes:  154
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 48 of 48

Thread: Cyclist struck and killed at 1200 Florida NE (DC)

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    558
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    This society sure does spend a lot of money protecting drivers who drive off the road from themselves, doesn't it?
    We do. And have since a road safety awakening started in the 1950's. Aren't you glad?

    But irresponsible drivers who don't give a damn are their own slice of the safety issue. There are two threads rolling regarding Columbia Pike in Arlington that cut straight to this issue. How do you *recode the cultural software* so that this reckless behavior is no longer acceptable or *cool*?

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,248
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Starduster View Post
    We do. And have since a road safety awakening started in the 1950's. Aren't you glad?
    I'd be glad if a similar amount of money were spent protecting people not in cars from drivers who drive off the road. As it stands, no, I'm not glad about the unequal allocation of limited resources.

  3. Likes bentbike33 liked this post
  4. #43
    lordofthemark's Avatar
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The forgotten corner of Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    3,270
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Starduster View Post
    We do. And have since a road safety awakening started in the 1950's. Aren't you glad?

    But irresponsible drivers who don't give a damn are their own slice of the safety issue. There are two threads rolling regarding Columbia Pike in Arlington that cut straight to this issue. How do you *recode the cultural software* so that this reckless behavior is no longer acceptable or *cool*?
    I would be more okay with protecting irresponsible drivers from themselves if I didn't regularly hear "We don't need complete streets on road X, because most of the peds hit there were jaywalking" or "we shouldn't add accommodations for cyclists because they endanger themselves by doing Y"

  5. #44
    Judd's Avatar
    Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    3,583
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    DDOT is unveiling plans for an interim safety improvement to Florida Ave at a meeting tomorrow night. Construction to begin late summer.

    Meeting details:
    When: Thursday, June 20, 2019
    Time: 7:00 PM to 8:30 PM
    Where: New Samaritan Baptist Church, Fellowship Hall; 1100 Florida Avenue NE

    Iíll be there.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #45
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Washington DC
    Posts
    690
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    DDOT is unveiling plans for an interim safety improvement to Florida Ave at a meeting tomorrow night. Construction to begin late summer.

    Meeting details:
    When: Thursday, June 20, 2019
    Time: 7:00 PM to 8:30 PM
    Where: New Samaritan Baptist Church, Fellowship Hall; 1100 Florida Avenue NE

    I’ll be there.
    I'll be there as well. And, after the meeting, some people are planning on convening at Red Bear Brewing (next to the REI at 2nd and M NE by the NoMa metro). See https://www.facebook.com/events/2328229517440503/

  7. Likes Steve O liked this post
  8. #46
    Judd's Avatar
    Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    3,583
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    DDOT proposed a protected cycletrack and protected bike lanes on Florida last night as an interim safety project.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #47
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Washington DC
    Posts
    690
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    DDOT proposed a protected cycletrack and protected bike lanes on Florida last night as an interim safety project.
    All of the meeting materials should be posted online later today, but in the interim, here's the handout summarizing the plans in case anyone's interested.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-06-20 Florida Ave NE Open House_Page_1.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	20186

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-06-20 Florida Ave NE Open House_Page_2.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	20185

  10. Likes Judd, bobco85 liked this post
  11. #48
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Washington DC
    Posts
    690
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LhasaCM View Post
    All of the meeting materials should be posted online later today, but in the interim, here's the handout summarizing the plans in case anyone's interested.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-06-20 Florida Ave NE Open House_Page_1.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	20186

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-06-20 Florida Ave NE Open House_Page_2.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	20185
    Project materials are now online at https://ddot.dc.gov/page/florida-ave...tation-project

  12. Likes Starduster, Judd, bobco85 liked this post

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •