Likes Likes:  114
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: W&OD Detours Coming Soon

Post Thanks / Like

If bicycle safety and comfort were actually a priority, they could run a detour through the fire station's service road. It could be coned off so cyclists didn't interfere with emergency responders getting out either.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fire Station Detour.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	103.0 KB 
ID:	19974

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    For through cyclists, I suspect they will learn it's better to go one more block south to Columbia, cross Washington at the light and take Columbia all the way to Van Buren, then left to the trail.
    As is often the case, SteveO and I disagree on our preferred trails. I find Columbia Street to be a bad choice for riding - very narrow with frequent two way traffic, poor sight lines due to hills, and speed bumps.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zsionakides View Post
    If bicycle safety and comfort were actually a priority, they could run a detour through the fire station's service road. It could be coned off so cyclists didn't interfere with emergency responders getting out either.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fire Station Detour.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	103.0 KB 
ID:	19974
    Sorry, as a former firefighter, I definitely donít agree with this idea. Youíd be going over two active fire department emergency apparatus ramps. Drills are often conducted on the back ramp and the sight lines coming in and out of the back ramp on Little Falls arenít great. Itís a nonstarter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. Likes Sunyata liked this post
    rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    "a minefield of dumb games and social cliques badly disguised as a forum for DC bike advocacy."
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kwarkentien View Post
    Sorry, as a former firefighter, I definitely don’t agree with this idea. You’d be going over two active fire department emergency apparatus ramps. Drills are often conducted on the back ramp and the sight lines coming in and out of the back ramp on Little Falls aren’t great. It’s a nonstarter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Karen speaks my mind (well, except for the stuff about Tapatalk). This is a pretty bad idea. Please dont short-cut through fire stations.

6. Likes Starduster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As much as I dislike this, I am forced to agree with Steve O.

From Banneker Park, south to Columbia gets you across Lee Highway at a traffic light and you don't have to ride on Lee Highway.

If you are heading west, a turn on Maple will take you past Bikenetic where you can get pie.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbb View Post
    From Banneker Park, south to Columbia gets you across Lee Highway at a traffic light and you don't have to ride on Lee Highway.
    Yeah, trying to cross Lee Highway on Jefferson (with no light) sucks, it always feels like I'm waiting around for a couple minutes for a 10 second break in traffic.

9. Likes Nadine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pondering the bike map...My detour of choice- Coming eastbound on the W&OD, right turn at Little Falls St. If I wanted to say hi to the Bikenetic crew, and take my chances with two blocks of N Washington St, taking the lane to N Westmoreland, then I would turn left at W Jefferson. If I needed the light, and didn't mind the extra distance, then turn left at W Columbia. Both N Westmoreland and E Columbia connect with N Van Buren St, which connects to the Banneker section of the W&OD.

A caution- the neighbors on N Van Buren St are hypersensitive about cyclists blowing stop signs. We need to behave.

Post Thanks / Like

The official detour still has you crossing at the normal light at 29 and then riding along the north side sidewalk to get to Jefferson. Why would anyone cross at Jefferson where's there no light?

12. Likes dasgeh, Nadine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tania View Post
    The official detour still has you crossing at the normal light at 29 and then riding along the north side sidewalk to get to Jefferson. Why would anyone cross at Jefferson where's there no light?
    Maybe to avoid conflict with pedestrians trying to drag reluctant dogs into the veterinarian's office across from Westmoreland?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    Maybe to avoid conflict with pedestrians trying to drag reluctant dogs into the veterinarian's office across from Westmoreland?
    Then it's easy enough to ride in the street there (also easy enough to just slow down since you're on a sidewalk). During rush hour, those lanes are always backed up (I admit I drive this way too often during rush hour) and cars can only creep along. If it's not rush hour, take the lane and people can pass since it's two lanes in each direction. It's not even a 1/4 mile. It would be great if there could be a temp protected bike lane put in but given how congested this strip of 29 is (mostly because people heading West and then turning left at Westmoreland and the timing of the lights through Broad St), it's not feasible.

I'm happy to ride on the sidewalk there for a few months if it means getting a bridge over 29. Or taking Columbia, I do that occasionally anyway.

People complain about the intersection but now people are complaining about the fix? Pick one. I can only imagine the handwringing when the bridge over Wiehle starts.