Likes Likes:  100
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: W&OD Detours Coming Soon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer2U View Post
    I, too, prefer the West Columbia Street crossing of Lee Highway because it has a traffic light for a safer crossing.

The official detour on West Jefferson means that you have to cross 4 lines of high speed motorized traffic to exercise 2 of the 3 options (go straight or make the left). And the 3rd option (make the right) takes you up to the Columbia Street traffic light anyway. It’s a tad longer, but you get to avoid riding alongside Lee Highway (not my favorite bike route).

However I do like that the West Jefferson Street detour passes by the Bikenetic shop, which has a tool rack outside, and Acme Pie inside;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    To clarify from my OP, when westbound, the "straight ahead" detour option crosses Lee at Fairfax, which is also controlled by a traffic light.

2. Likes Boomer2U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've taken the EFC pedestrian bridge detour a few times now, and it's just fine. Crossing Lee Hwy/N. Washington st. from W. Jefferson st. is easy in the morning - Eastbound cross traffic is minimal and it's usually bumper-to-bumper Westbound, so getting across the street and continuing on your merry way is really not a problem. In the evening, it's a simple matter to turn left from N. Westmoreland onto Lee Hwy/N. Washington with the light and head on up to W. Jefferson.
    Last edited by Drewdane; 05-08-2019 at 08:51 AM.

4. Likes Nadine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Drewdane View Post
    I've taken the EFC pedestrian bridge tour a few times now, and it's just fine. Crossing Washington Blvd. from W. Jefferson st. is easy in the morning - Eastbound cross traffic is minimal and it's usually bumper-to-bumper Westbound, so getting across the street and continuing on your merry way is really not a problem. In the evening, it's a simple matter to turn left from N. Westmoreland onto Washington Blvd. with the light and head on up to W. Jefferson.
    Lee Highway/N Washington St according to Google Maps, not Washington Blvd

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Lee Highway/N Washington St according to Google Maps, not Washington Blvd
    I have absolutely no idea why you posted that.

Post Thanks / Like

I took the Little Falls-E. Columbia- N. Van Buren detour Friday heading eastbound. About a mile before hitting the detour I was passed by someone I know who was definitely riding faster than I was.

He caught up to me about a mile AFTER the detour, very confused about how he somehow got that far behind me. According to him, the posted detour was pretty slow, while I very comfortably rode through the detour I learned about here.

No idea how this translates to daily commuters going through this area, but I at least found my super-fast detouring to be pretty amusing. I found the Columbia detour to be easy, direct, and low stress.

Falls Church VA or Bristol UK 🇬🇧 or Brazil 🇧🇷
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan K View Post
    To clarify from my OP, when westbound, the "straight ahead" detour option crosses Lee at Fairfax, which is also controlled by a traffic light.
    Yes, true at FFX - Lee Hwy intersection, though it is much more congested and has multiple left turn signals sequences and right-on-reds than East/West Columbia Street, which I find to be much safer crossing over Lee Hwy.

Iíve had several close calls at the Lee Hwy-FFX intersection while obeying traffic signals and inside the cross-walk due to right-on-reds eastbound cars, and lefties going westbound turning into Lee Hwy southbound. The pedestrian bridge will eliminate all those risks for the through-commuters. Yeah VDOT!:-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Likes kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The other detour, actually of the Custis under I-66, looks like it is about ready to begin (a month late, it seems). I like how the detour signs (still bagged up) are about as tall as basketball backboards. I guess it’s so all the penny-farthing riders I see on the Custis every day can see them well.

11. Likes kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    I guess it’s so all the penny-farthing riders I see on the Custis every day can see them well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sunyata View Post
    Larry @ The Old Bike Shop will approve.

14. Likes kwarkentien liked this post