Likes Likes:  114
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: W&OD Detours Coming Soon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ursus View Post
    Does anyone have any update as to when this detour will start? It is now about four months since the May supposed start, and besides for the bagged detour signs, nothing has happened. Not that I am complaining.

I want to thank whoever suggested using Columbia St. rather than the official detour, for the bridge project. Besides for some rough pavement on Columbia, the detour is great. A matter of fact, had I known about it all these years, I might have used it when a detour was not needed because the crossing of N. Washington St. (Lee Highway) is much simpler than where the bridge is bring built. I am surprised that Columbia St. traffic seems to get as much time at the light as N. Washington does.
    Columbia is awesome. Learned about it on a Spoke ride and, like you, I find it a better crossing than at Washington.

2. Likes ursus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone have any update as to when this detour will start? It is now about four months since the May supposed start, and besides for the bagged detour signs, nothing has happened. Not that I am complaining.

I want to thank whoever suggested using Columbia St. rather than the official detour for the bridge project. Besides for some rough pavement on Columbia, the detour is great. A matter of fact, had I known about it all these years, I might have used it when a detour was not needed because the crossing of N. Washington St. (Lee Highway) is much simpler than where the bridge is bring built. I am surprised that Columbia St. traffic seems to get as much time at the light as N. Washington does.
    Just received an e-mail from VDOT that this will begin on Monday, September 16, 2019 and continue through fall 2020.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

If only there were an alternative route on a continuous bike lane to the north of this stretch.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    If only there were an alternative route on a continuous bike lane to the north of this stretch.
    why would anyone need more than one bike facility?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    The official detour is all trail, it goes over the nearby bike/ped bridge.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Custis Trail Detour 2019.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	20378

But I'm not sure how that is supposed to work while they realign the trail by moving the intersection away from the retaining wall.

Name:	Intersection_redo.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	20379
    Last edited by bentbike33; 09-13-2019 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Being more illustrative.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    But I'm not sure how that is supposed to work while they realign the trail by moving the intersection away from the retaining wall.

Name:	Intersection_redo.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	20379
    I would imagine they will put in the new asphalt, then route the detour over the new asphalt while they take out the old asphalt.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrP View Post
    Just received an e-mail from VDOT that this will begin on Monday, September 16, 2019 and continue through fall 2020.
    I did it again. Nothing was done since May. Then a day after I ask what's going in, they decide to start the next week.

9. Likes consularrider liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I did it again. Nothing was done since May. Then a day after I ask what's going in, they decide to start the next week.
    Can we harness your powers to get things done?

11. Likes bentbike33, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They did a crappy, crappy job of signing the detour. I knew the way I SHOULD go but I followed the official signs and it took me out to Wilson.

13. Likes MRH5028 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tania View Post
    They did a crappy, crappy job of signing the detour. I knew the way I SHOULD go but I followed the official signs and it took me out to Wilson.
    I noticed that this morning as well. The detour sign is pointing towards 9th Rd N, which does not bring you anywhere near the Custis Trail on the other side of 66.