Likes Likes:  114
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: W&OD Detours Coming Soon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    I thought perhaps I was misjudging, but a vehicular cyclist I follow said yesterday that the posted detour was dangerous. No way any family group or non-vehicular cyclist should be dumped out on Washington/Lee like that, and especially eastbound where the crossing has to be done without a light.

Anyway, I will write this afternoon.
    I'm pretty sure the official detour is supposed to be the sidewalk on the NW side of Lee Hwy between Jefferson and the signalized intersection and crosswalk at Fairfax, which is probably good for the occasional/family riders, but disfavored by faster cyclists.

2. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    I'm pretty sure the official detour is supposed to be the sidewalk on the NW side of Lee Hwy between Jefferson and the signalized intersection and crosswalk at Fairfax, which is probably good for the occasional/family riders, but disfavored by faster cyclists.
    If the sidewalk is the official detour for cyclists, they're doing it wrong.

4. Likes josh, Emm, bentbike33, scoot liked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    This point was recently brought to my attention:
    We regulars are pretty good at finding alternate options. Weekend family riders, though, now have to contend with the drivers and sightlines and turns off of Little Falls Road, mixing with traffic.
    Wouldn't it be nice if Falls Church (or NVRPA, or VDOT, or someone) created some sort of protected facility along the detour for those types of riders. The W&OD is, after all, used by lots of recreational and family riders, too.
    Yeah, they need to sign the best detour. I think we have a better shot working with Arlington, as Steve's detour solves the issue with East Falls Church.

And sorry for the accidental dislike :-(

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sjclaeys View Post
    But that avoids the "fun" of the ACPD cyclist sting at 19th & Van Buren. The ACPD officer will be so lonely.
    Jefferson > Washington > Westmoreland/19th, and then you roll thru the stop sign as you turn right on Van Buren, and you can high-five the cop as you go by. Duh...

7. Likes josh, Steve O, bentbike33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've changed my mind on the "official" detour - I was sitting at the light yesterday around 5:10pm (in my car) heading towards DC and it seemed that most cyclists heading west would hit lee and then turn left onto the east sidewalk and then try to cross at Westmoreland. As I drove (crept) past Westmoreland I was a little nervous for everyone, there was a lot of confusion and the construction workers there were making things worse. It's pretty awful.

9. Likes huskerdont, dasgeh, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tania View Post
    I've changed my mind on the "official" detour - I was sitting at the light yesterday around 5:10pm (in my car) heading towards DC and it seemed that most cyclists heading west would hit lee and then turn left onto the east sidewalk and then try to cross at Westmoreland. As I drove (crept) past Westmoreland I was a little nervous for everyone, there was a lot of confusion and the construction workers there were making things worse. It's pretty awful.
    The flaw in the official detour you observed is that it includes an obvious doubling back, which rational people will seek to avoid. The temporary trail in front of the condos and motel dumps you onto Lee Hwy well away from the Fairfax Dr. crosswalk. Rather than ride north on one sidewalk to get to the crosswalk at Fairfax, cross Lee Hwy, and ride south on the other sidewalk past where they just were, riders head for the Westmoreland light. The Columbia route hides the doubling back from the user by separating the back-and-forth segments by a large distance, as well as taking advantage of the curve in the road to disorient the user from realizing they have effectively doubled back to reach the W&OD at Little Falls St./Van Buren-Banneker Park.

11. Likes dasgeh, Nadine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ffs do not ride your bicycle west on the sidewalk that goes along Fairfax Drive. It’s waaaay too narrow for bikes and there are a bunch of other peds that don’t want to get forced off into the street because you CANT go into the street because it’s one way the wrong way. Jefferson is like 5 seconds away.

13. Likes ViennaGuy liked this post
    Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

So this whole thing is a cluster, more or less of a problem depending on your abilities and experience and familiarity. If the weekend is really nice, it will be interesting to see how the thousands of recreational riders fare.

My huge pet peeve about detours is that the people who make them never, ever come and observe them in action. Many times they merely draw them on a map without actually testing them. Nor do they try them after they have been put in place to make sure the signage is clear.

In this case, I'm not sure who would be responsible for all that. VDOT? Falls Church? Arlington? The line between the two jurisdictions cuts through the middle of the detour.

15. Likes dasgeh, Nadine liked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    So this whole thing is a cluster, more or less of a problem depending on your abilities and experience and familiarity. If the weekend is really nice, it will be interesting to see how the thousands of recreational riders fare.

My huge pet peeve about detours is that the people who make them never, ever come and observe them in action. Many times they merely draw them on a map without actually testing them. Nor do they try them after they have been put in place to make sure the signage is clear.

In this case, I'm not sure who would be responsible for all that. VDOT? Falls Church? Arlington? The line between the two jurisdictions cuts through the middle of the detour.
    This is squarely a VDOT project. But since it impacts Arlington, I've been including Arlington on my emails -- but I should also include Falls Church. Does FC have a bike/ped planner? Anyone have contact info?

17. Likes Nadine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    This is squarely a VDOT project. But since it impacts Arlington, I've been including Arlington on my emails -- but I should also include Falls Church. Does FC have a bike/ped planner? Anyone have contact info?
    You could try Paul Stoddard, the Chief Planner. Jeffery Sikes is another city planner, and is listed as the contact for Bike to Work day, for what that’s worth. Either is reached via email by using first initial together with last name at fallschurchva.gov.

19. Likes dasgeh, Nadine liked this post