Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0

Thread: Support the WABA Trail Ranger Program

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Support the WABA Trail Ranger Program

WABA is looking for folks to provide comment to DC City Council to support expansion of the Trail Ranger program in DC's FY2020 budget. If you ride any of DC's trails in the summer you've likely seen some folks in green shirts out sweeping up glass and trimming back vegetation. There's a noticeable difference in the trails in the summer versus the winter. The additional funding would allow the Trail Ranger program to operate year round.

If you could take two minutes to provide comment, it would be greatly appreciated. Although I'm an Arlington resident, I wrote about how much I appreciate the program when I ride the Anacostia River Trail and that stopping for a grilled cheese at Blue Jacket in Navy Yard happens on 80% of my ART rides.

Provide comment at: https://p2a.co/dKNuK6Y

2. Likes LhasaCM, jrenaut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I tried to send the email but it said the “program was not available in my area’

Maybe my address in Falls Church triggered it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CBGanimal View Post
    I tried to send the email but it said the “program was not available in my area’

Maybe my address in Falls Church triggered it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That'd be my guess; the site is designed to take your address to figure out which councilmember to add to the distribution list beyond the chair and 4 at-large CMs.

Judd - did you use your office address or something else in DC to get it to work?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I got a reply from Brianne Nadeau (Ward 1), though I suspect that's because she already knows me from our talks on Safe Accommodations.

6. Likes CBGanimal, Judd, LhasaCM, streetsmarts liked this post
    Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LhasaCM View Post
    That'd be my guess; the site is designed to take your address to figure out which councilmember to add to the distribution list beyond the chair and 4 at-large CMs.

Judd - did you use your office address or something else in DC to get it to work?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
    Hrmmmm... Very weird. I used my home address in Arlington and it still let me submit. There was some chatter on Twitter about this. I'll shoot a note to Robert Gardner about it because I'm not sure if the intent is to limit lobbying directly to zip codes of constituents. I have always believed that transportation issues are regional and that I'm a stakeholder worthy of comment to places I work/bike/shop.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Hrmmmm... Very weird. I used my home address in Arlington and it still let me submit. There was some chatter on Twitter about this. I'll shoot a note to Robert Gardner about it because I'm not sure if the intent is to limit lobbying directly to zip codes of constituents. I have always believed that transportation issues are regional and that I'm a stakeholder worthy of comment to places I work/bike/shop.
    Could just be growing pains still with the move to Salesforce.

And I agree that pretty much anyone who would be reading this is a stakeholder who can and should provide feedback if they're so inclined. Granted - depending on how the letter is drafted, a few tweaks may be needed (and, as someone who once upon a time had to go through feedback, including form letters, I like to think a little bit of personalization helps things stand out anyway).

Post Thanks / Like

So because I know Cmbr Nadeau and she replied to the email, I can tell you what it's sending - it appears to be an email from you, signed with your mailing address, although the from email is a pseudo-forwarding address (like when you reply to a craigslist ad). So it makes sense that you need to be a resident - if you email a DC councilmember and you live in VA, they're not going to be that inclined to listen to you
    Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2019 7:45 AM
    To: Nadeau, Brianne K. (Council) <BNadeau@DCCOUNCIL.US>
    Subject: Let's expand the DC Trail Ranger program!

Dear Councilmember Nadeau,

The WABA Trail Ranger program is a really fantastic way to get people out there using our trails. An extra friendly face makes people feel safer and happier about using trails. I often take the long way home from dropping the kids at school to go along the MBT when they're doing their Friday coffee stops. And keeping the trails clean makes a huge difference in both utility and perceived safety.

I strongly support making sure we have adequate money in the budget to enable this great program to continue its great work.

With appreciation,
    Jonathan Renaut
    [my provided street address]
    Washington, DC 20010

10. Likes streetsmarts liked this post