Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone else having trouble with Strava?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    The auto pause being on or off will not affect your Strava ride data. All Strava rides include both "elapsed time" and "moving time." Strava only counts moving time when you are actually moving, regardless of whether it is pausing or not. Your average speed is calculated against your moving time, not your elapsed.

I actually find auto-pause to be irrelevant for city riding and commuting (it's more relevant for training and racing and centuries). I'm interested in how long it actually takes me to get somewhere, same as when one drives. Knowing that I was moving for 21 minutes of my 24 minute commute isn't particularly useful information. It takes me 24 minutes to get to work. Full stop.
    I can just imagine a car commuter with auto-pause:
    "How long does it take you to drive to work?"
    "17 minutes. Unless I count sitting at the traffic lights, then it's 35."

I can always check the ride afterward if I have an interest in my moving time and average speed.

(I do not know if auto-pause saves battery power on a phone, which might be a reason to use it)
    Interesting! I'll have to check that functionality. When I started using Strava a few years ago it would always auto-pause at red lights. As you indicated that gives questionable results when looking at commuting times. However, the auto-pause feature is great for when you're running errands via bike and stop in a store to pick something up. Auto-pause used to turn on if I was walking as opposed to cycling.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty2k1 View Post
    Interesting! I'll have to check that functionality. When I started using Strava a few years ago it would always auto-pause at red lights. As you indicated that gives questionable results when looking at commuting times. However, the auto-pause feature is great for when you're running errands via bike and stop in a store to pick something up. Auto-pause used to turn on if I was walking as opposed to cycling.
    I did not have separate total and moving times

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty2k1 View Post
    I did not have separate total and moving times
    Did you happen to look on a computer as well? For me, when looking at the ride on a computer, Strava shows separate total and moving times, whereas on a phone, it only shows moving time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    I actually find auto-pause to be irrelevant for city riding and commuting (it's more relevant for training and racing and centuries). I'm interested in how long it actually takes me to get somewhere, same as when one drives. Knowing that I was moving for 21 minutes of my 24 minute commute isn't particularly useful information. It takes me 24 minutes to get to work. Full stop.
    I can just imagine a car commuter with auto-pause:
    "How long does it take you to drive to work?"
    "17 minutes. Unless I count sitting at the traffic lights, then it's 35."
    Unless you're me and use that "feature" to continue justifying my bike commute to my wife. "It takes me an hour and 10 minutes door to door to commute by bike. It takes me an hour door to door by metro, so therefore it's only taking me 10 additional minutes!" *excluding stopped time which pushes it to ~1:20 at which point my commute becomes "an hour and a half?!"

5. Likes Steve O, huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    Unless you're me and use that "feature" to continue justifying my bike commute to my wife. "It takes me an hour and 10 minutes door to door to commute by bike. It takes me an hour door to door by metro, so therefore it's only taking me 10 additional minutes!" *excluding stopped time which pushes it to ~1:20 at which point my commute becomes "an hour and a half?!"
    You failed to account for the time you would have to spend in the gym (plus driving to and from) to keep your butt from getting fat, which would otherwise happen if you gave up bike commuting for metro or car commuting.

7. Likes Steve O liked this post