Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else having trouble with Strava?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone else having trouble with Strava?

Normally, I use my Garmin watch to record rides, as God intended. But the watch broke, and will take some time to get repaired. And while I can use my old Garmin Edge when I'm on my own bike, it attaches to the bike, so it's not practical for bikeshare.

So I've been using Strava on my phone. And both of the rides I've recorded so far have been wonky.

Exhibit A shows a ride that says it is .09 miles. However, it should have been half a mile. It shows me as having ended the ride on 11th Street between H and I, whereas in fact I continued up 11th to K and then went over to 7th.

Exhibit B is today's ride. It shows me flying over tall buildings, and managing an average speed of 32 mph. I suppose I could have managed 32 mph for a brief period if I'd actually fallen off one of those buildings, but then I wouldn't have been here to write about it.

Is there an overall issue with Strava? Or did I just have a particularly weird experience?

Exhibit A

Exhibit B

Last edited by cvcalhoun; 04-09-2019 at 02:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

GPS on the phone most likely. I use my phone as well (with a Garmin watch as a backup), and if it can't find the satellites, that kind of thing happens.

The one mistake I made for a while was starting before it said "GPS signal acquired." When the phone was new, I could do that (start it in the parking garage or my basement and it would pick up the signal once I left), but as the phone got older, it stopped picking up the signal right away and would create errors like yours--flying over buildings, really short rides, even one time it had never started--so now I have to exit the garage/basement, get out the phone, and start the ride. (Fun times in the winter when you are wearing gloves.)

Post Thanks / Like

What's the point of going 32 mph if you're only going to burn 6 calories?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cvcalhoun View Post
    Normally, I use my Garmin watch to record rides, as God intended. But the watch broke, and will take some time to get repaired. And while I can use my old Garmin Edge when I'm on my own bike, it attaches to the bike, so it's not practical for bikeshare.
    You could just carry the Garmin Edge in your pocket on bikeshare. As long as it's not buried too deep or somehow shielded from the GPS signal it should work even if you can't see your current speed.

5. Likes Hancockbs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    You could just carry the Garmin Edge in your pocket on bikeshare. As long as it's not buried too deep or somehow shielded from the GPS signal it should work even if you can't see your current speed.
    Yes, I can if I know in advance that I'll be using bikeshare. However, a big advantage of the Garmin watch is that it's always there on my wrist, even if I hadn't planned to bike. Same is true of my phone, which is always with me. The old Garmin Edge lives on my bicycle, and I don't tend to take it with me unless I already know I'll be using bikeshare.

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    GPS on the phone most likely. I use my phone as well (with a Garmin watch as a backup), and if it can't find the satellites, that kind of thing happens.

The one mistake I made for a while was starting before it said "GPS signal acquired." When the phone was new, I could do that (start it in the parking garage or my basement and it would pick up the signal once I left), but as the phone got older, it stopped picking up the signal right away and would create errors like yours--flying over buildings, really short rides, even one time it had never started--so now I have to exit the garage/basement, get out the phone, and start the ride. (Fun times in the winter when you are wearing gloves.)
    What's odd here is that in both cases, it clearly found my starting point. In Exhibit A, it got the first part of my ride, but then suddenly stopped recording the rest. In Exhibit B, you can see exactly where I started, but then it stopped recording between there and almost the end of my ride, and just assumed I flew in a straight line during the part where it stopped recording. So in neither case was the problem a late acquisition of GPS.

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure your settings allow the app to run in the background. If you don’t, it can “stop” working properly when the screen goes blank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kwarkentien View Post
    Make sure your settings allow the app to run in the background. If you don’t, it can “stop” working properly when the screen goes blank.
    Also, how was your battery? The second in particular looks like my RideWithGPS tracks when my phone's gone into battery-saver mode.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by infinitebuffalo View Post
    Also, how was your battery? The second in particular looks like my RideWithGPS tracks when my phone's gone into battery-saver mode.
    Battery was fine. I had actually just had it replaced.

Post Thanks / Like

I just wanted to comment and say that my Strava decided no longer to auto-pause a month or two ago. I can't figure out how the heck to get that functionality back. As someone who does a lot of stopping at intersections (primarily biking in the city) it is very frustrating.

I checked to make sure the auto-pause is setup to "bike mode" and not "run mode" and that my phone's GPS is set to high accuracy. I have no problem with it actually tracking my routes or speed, just no auto-pause :-/

Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty2k1 View Post
    I just wanted to comment and say that my Strava decided no longer to auto-pause a month or two ago. I can't figure out how the heck to get that functionality back. As someone who does a lot of stopping at intersections (primarily biking in the city) it is very frustrating.

I checked to make sure the auto-pause is setup to "bike mode" and not "run mode" and that my phone's GPS is set to high accuracy. I have no problem with it actually tracking my routes or speed, just no auto-pause :-/
    The auto pause being on or off will not affect your Strava ride data. All Strava rides include both "elapsed time" and "moving time." Strava only counts moving time when you are actually moving, regardless of whether it is pausing or not. Your average speed is calculated against your moving time, not your elapsed.

I actually find auto-pause to be irrelevant for city riding and commuting (it's more relevant for training and racing and centuries). I'm interested in how long it actually takes me to get somewhere, same as when one drives. Knowing that I was moving for 21 minutes of my 24 minute commute isn't particularly useful information. It takes me 24 minutes to get to work. Full stop.
    I can just imagine a car commuter with auto-pause:
    "How long does it take you to drive to work?"
    "17 minutes. Unless I count sitting at the traffic lights, then it's 35."

I can always check the ride afterward if I have an interest in my moving time and average speed.

(I do not know if auto-pause saves battery power on a phone, which might be a reason to use it)