Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clarendon Circle

Post Thanks / Like

Default Clarendon Circle

Tell me again how to get through this mess? No less than 4 forum members have "shown me the way they" go through the intersection and I'm still at a loss. The easy part used to be going from Courthouse to Virginia Square, but last night, with construction closing Wilson down to one lane and rough debris in the road, I have no idea. Last night, it looked like another cyclist decided to take the Metro at Clarendon rather than go through the intersection.*

*Joking, but not really.

Steve O is online now I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rockford10 View Post
    Tell me again how to get through this mess? No less than 4 forum members have "shown me the way they" go through the intersection and I'm still at a loss. The easy part used to be going from Courthouse to Virginia Square, but last night, with construction closing Wilson down to one lane and rough debris in the road, I have no idea. Last night, it looked like another cyclist decided to take the Metro at Clarendon rather than go through the intersection.*
    You could choose to bypass entirely and go to the Custis sooner.
    Several options. One might be: Right on Edgewood; left on Franklin to end; jog onto Key Blvd. Left on Jackson. Right on 13th; cross Kirkwood, up hill past YMCA. Then either straight to Quincy or jog over to 14th at Nelson to go to Quincy.
    Right on Quincy; left on 15th. Left on N. Vermont or N. Vernon to the trail. This avoids the two sisters.

There are variations on this, but essentially you take parallel side streets and reconnect with the Custis just before Glebe.

3. Likes JorgeGortex liked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, the construction sucks. I would definitely avoid, which is easy. Steve describes the route to the north (* though it's more straightforward to take either Veitch to Key (Barton, Edgewood, and Fillmore also go through, but less directly, or if you want to go to Highland or west, I'd take 13th instead of Key))

To the south, 10th St is ok for the hardy, 9th St to 10th St is a little better, 9th to 7th is a lot better, if you're going that far south.

Post Thanks / Like

Tell me again how to get through this mess? No less than 4 forum members have "shown me the way they" go through the intersection and I'm still at a loss. The easy part used to be going from Courthouse to Virginia Square, but last night, with construction closing Wilson down to one lane and rough debris in the road, I have no idea.
    I went through yesterday evening. Use your advantages. Cars are crawling slower than a bike. Use the bike lane to pass most of the congestion. Before it ends because of construction barriers, change over to the first lane of cars and participate in the merge like the other vehicles.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help! When I went through Monday, I did scoot to the front of the cars and proceed through the intersection quickly and turn into the Northside parking lot while dodging rubble. Mid-intersection, a car two behind me honked and zoomed around, clearly on their way to the hospital with a life-threatening emergency, which is the part I'd never had before there. I guess I'll just grit it out as needed. I still don't understand why Arlington has a major bike thoroughfare with an enormous gap in the middle. What do the planners think I'm supposed to do? Weaving through the back streets, while a good backup plan, doesn't seem like the right response.

In all seriousness, am I supposed to cross the street at Highland and go the wrong way to cross Washington Blvd at Clarendon (sort of the reverse way to go in Northbound)? I saw another cyclist do that.

7. Likes rcannon100 liked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help! When I went through Monday, I did scoot to the front of the cars and proceed through the intersection quickly and turn into the Northside parking lot while dodging rubble. Mid-intersection, a car two behind me honked and zoomed around, clearly on their way to the hospital with a life-threatening emergency, which is the part I'd never had before there. I guess I'll just grit it out as needed. I still don't understand why Arlington has a major bike thoroughfare with an enormous gap in the middle. What do the planners think I'm supposed to do? Weaving through the back streets, while a good backup plan, doesn't seem like the right response.

In all seriousness, am I supposed to cross the street at Highland and go the wrong way to cross Washington Blvd at Clarendon (sort of the reverse way to go in Northbound)? I saw another cyclist do that.
    There's a (pretty ok, but not great) plan once the construction is done. It doesn't fix the issue WB at the corner of Fairfax and Kirkwood and 10th, but it'll be ok for Clarendon Circle.

There's just no plan to keep it safe during construction.

Post Thanks / Like

I think avoidance of the area is the smartest and safest method. I think I'd take Key Blvd, to Jackson and then pop out near Kirkwood. The beautiful thing about being on a bike is exploring places anyway...

10. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't take unnecessary risks, take the sidewalk if possible.

12. Dislikes josh disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I lament how helpless and afraid we've become.

14. Likes DismalScientist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan von Buckingham View Post
    I lament how helpless and afraid we've become.
    That’s the predictable effect of even occasionally being menaced by abusive drivers wielding tons of metal.