Likes Likes:  20
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  0

Thread: Face off -- Cyclists not human enough for drivers: study

Post Thanks / Like

Default Face off -- Cyclists not human enough for drivers: study

DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Meh... It's OK since most cyclists don't view drivers as fully human either.

3. Likes Steve O, ShawnoftheDread liked this post
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Not only are we alien, subversive of norms, many of us dress funny, but we also are a super powerful minority who control govt officials behind the scenes.

Oh dear

Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

The problem with this study (which I did not read, so perhaps it's in there) is any sort of comparison. Do drivers also consider other drivers similarly not human? What about pedestrians? Or any stranger in general?
    We don't know if drivers dehumanize cyclists any more or less than any other group they may encounter. Perhaps it doesn't have anything to do with the fact they are cyclists instead of any other particular group.

And is it just drivers? Do pedestrians similarly dehumanize cyclists? If so, of course, they can't inflict as much damage, but an interesting question, nonetheless. And Dismal's point, as snarky as it is, is actually a fair point. Do all road users dehumanize those on another form of transport? Or just everyone else except themselves?

6. Likes creadinger, Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Studies have found that a significant portion of the people of both political persuasions view those on the other side as not human, so this is not unique.

8. Likes Judd, AFHokie, kwarkentien liked this post
    rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    "a minefield of dumb games and social cliques badly disguised as a forum for DC bike advocacy."
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sjclaeys View Post
    Studies have found that a significant portion of the people of both political persuasions view those on the other side as not human, so this is not unique.
    Personally I think people who ride Warbirds are composed the rotting husks of old Indian Maize, fermented with wild New Mexican cactus buttons, smothered in bourbon and then reincarnated using chants from pages 59-62 of old Dept of Commerce reports.

10. Likes sjclaeys, Sunyata, kwarkentien liked this post
    Dislikes Sunyata disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rcannon100 View Post
    Personally I think people who ride Warbirds are composed the rotting husks of old Indian Maize, fermented with wild New Mexican cactus buttons, smothered in bourbon and then reincarnated using chants from pages 59-62 of old Dept of Commerce report.
    You had me at "smothered in bourbon."

Post Thanks / Like

"But if drivers can put a human face to cyclists, researchers say this could reduce aggression directed at cyclists and road trauma involving riders."

Lose the helmet, and you will be safer on the road?

13. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ImaCynic View Post
    "But if drivers can put a human face to cyclists, researchers say this could reduce aggression directed at cyclists and road trauma involving riders."

Lose the helmet, and you will be safer on the road?
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...01457506001540

Post Thanks / Like

Fascinating findings:

"The relationship between rider position and overtaking proximity was the opposite to that generally believed, such that the further the rider was from the edge of the road, the closer vehicles passed."

Ha! This is the basis of my repulsion theory: Those on the road tend to repel each other, like what happens when the same pole of magnets are near each other. Want cars to be further away? Ride closer to them!

I feel validated... somewhat.

16. Likes creadinger liked this post