Likes Likes:  247
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Discussion on Team Points Cap and Non-regional Teams

Post Thanks / Like

Steve O and I were discussing scoring a little bit last night at HH. What if points were a function of miles, days ridden, and riding time? The idea that actual riding time (presumably in the cold) matters. Strava does differentiate between total elapsed time and actual riding time, so (theoretically) do-able. It would the inverse of stage racing like the Tour de France, where lowest riding time determines the winner. In this case, more riding time would be worth more.

Post Thanks / Like

score = (ride_days * 10) + (moving_hours * ???) + miles

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chuxtr View Post
    Steve O and I were discussing scoring a little bit last night at HH. What if points were a function of miles, days ridden, and riding time? The idea that actual riding time (presumably in the cold) matters. Strava does differentiate between total elapsed time and actual riding time, so (theoretically) do-able. It would the inverse of stage racing like the Tour de France, where lowest riding time determines the winner. In this case, more riding time would be worth more.
    I expect things would be slightly different (for example, I would become more "valuable" because I'm slower) but probably not appreciably so. I can drop in a few numbers from this year's results to put proof to that supposition. Bigger question: what problem are we trying to solve with that? That would inform the function/relationship to set up.

Post Thanks / Like

Why make this so unnecessarily complicated?

Team points competition: total ride days (minimum rides have to be X miles)

Individual Competition: total ride miles

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Subby View Post
    Why make this so unnecessarily complicated?
    Ugh -- you obviously don't get it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by musclys View Post
    Ugh -- you obviously don't get it.
    fight me

Post Thanks / Like

fight me
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	d8e02f46b8cd363b3bfd43a0b3b60bc7.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	16.7 KB 
ID:	19875

8. Likes LhasaCM, kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bro

fight me
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	do you even zwift.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	19876

10. Likes Emm, Judd, kwarkentien, Subby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And Feds who get furloughed have an advantage over those who don't.
    Etc.

Steve O's point a few posts back made me realize there were a number of odd variables this year. My typical commute is 30 or so miles a day. When I was furloughed I lost that base and had to balance biking against a long list of projects at home. The 100 mile cap pushed me to get out and ride during January. Without it I would have done a lot more sleezing.

Also, the snow and furloughed NPS trail crew rendered my usual commute (down the CCT) impassable so on days when I was called back my commutes were much shorter and again the cap became a goal.

All in all, whatever system is used is going to have it's own set of unintended consequences. I enjoyed this year (and not just because I got to captain team 7) considerably more than previous years because the goals for the teams were achievable. Really (aside from the pointless prizes) FS is two competitions. A team competition, which provides me with a lot of motivation to get out there and ride, and and individual competition, which really does noting for me personally.

The individual competition remained essentially unchanged and those who wanted to spend a lot of winter miles in the saddle were recognized for it.

Regional teams might be nice but my first years in FS I was stuck on a random MD team that was almost as geographically spread out as my team this year which made group rides or get together nearly impossible. So not much changed for me this year.

12. Likes ChristoB50 liked this post