Likes Likes:  58
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gravel Race Up Spruce Knob (2019)

Now mostly Manhattan (NYC) with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Why is there no 60+ category for the Classic Route?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by consularrider View Post
    Why is there no 60+ category for the Classic Route?
    Why is there no 60+ category for women? (Welcome to my world!)

The Classic route is much shorter and tends to have much lower registration, so the organizer breaks it up into less groups. There is not even a single speed category for the shorter course.

3. Likes kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Also, for anyone contemplating the two-day ride, it seems there will be a shuttle to ferry camping gear from the ride start to the Day 1 ending point in Davis. I'm guessing they'll also shuttle gear back to the start after camping but that's not explicitly mentioned in the e-mail. So, if a worry about how to carry your gear is an obstacle to registering, looks like it won't be an issue. Bikepacking without the packing!

Post Thanks / Like

There are also a couple of hotels and several Air BNB's in Davis if camping is not exactly your style. Come ride bikes, drink beer, and eat burritos (and ice cream) with me!

6. Likes kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The 158-mile route was a wild ride with a huge range of conditions, from fast, paved downhills in the fog to an abandoned stretch of forest service road ridable only with a mountain bike (or, as we discovered, a highly modified Subaru). It was also a wonderful tour of that part of West Virginia.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6177.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	20228

Name:	IMG_6183.jpg 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	20229

Name:	IMG_6199.jpg 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	20230

8. Likes drevil, huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by secstate View Post
    The 158-mile route was a wild ride with a huge range of conditions, from fast, paved downhills in the fog to an abandoned stretch of forest service road ridable only with a mountain bike (or, as we discovered, a highly modified Subaru). It was also a wonderful tour of that part of West Virginia.
    What was your bike and tire setup? (For you, and anyone else that did the GRUSK and doesn't mind sharing. Pics don't hurt also )

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post
    What was your bike and tire setup? (For you, and anyone else that did the GRUSK and doesn't mind sharing. Pics don't hurt also )
    Didn't do the Grande/Loco, but the ~75 mile Epic race. My do-everything bike: Santa Cruz Stigmata cross bike, 38mm tubeless Schwalbe G-Ones (~40 psi front, ~44 psi rear), 50/34 x 11-32, MTB pedals (hi Subby), 2 water bottles. No flats, high enough gearing so that you're not spun out stupid quickly on the paved descents, low enough gearing on the other end that the gravel climbs out there are as minimal a problem as they'll ever be -- what more could you ask for? I didn't crash on the grassy doubletrack this year (or at all), so I'm happy about that.

Name:	IMG_20190706_154207.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	20231

11. Likes kwarkentien, Steve O, drevil, huskerdont, Subby liked this post
    Dislikes Subby disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:	IMG_8863[1].jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	20233

Bike: 2019 Salsa Warbird frame with SRAM Rival 50/34 x 11-36 with Force hydraulic brakes and Stans wheels (front is an Iron Cross, rear is a Grail since I destroyed the Iron Cross at DK)
    Tires: Maxxis Ramblers 40mm, tubeless with Finish Line sealant
    Pedals: Time ATAC 8's (again, Hi Subby!)
    Bags: Apidura frame bag, top tube bag, and front roll; Revelate Terrapin seat bag
    Hydrations: Two bottles and my trusty Source hipster

It was an awesome two day event. I learned a lot about fully loaded riding on a drop bar bike (especially when it comes to pushing it uphill thanks to FR 244 being completely washed out and my rear hub blowing up with 2.5 miles to go).

Final numbers:
    156.46 miles
    11,181 feet of elevation
    6,662 calories burned
    12 Subarus attempting Canaan Loop Rd
    1 Hellbender Burrito
    10 trophies on Strava
    1 busted Stans 3.30Ti hub

Once I actually have time to sit down and write up a race report, I will share it.

13. Dislikes Subby disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have only one bike, so I used it!

The Space Horse worked just fine with Schwalbe Marathon Mondial 35mm tires and a light hand to feather the cantilever brakes well in advance of hard turns.

Name:	IMG_6200.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	20236

15. Likes drevil, Subby, josh, Steve O, kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I did the grande loco and the epic and my main recommendation would be to not do that? Or do it but don't be fugging dumbass and use road pedals. And if you use road pedals, don't have them ratcheted down so high that you cannot unclip as you slide into a ravine (theoretically). Also don't use road pedals just because they happens to also be tiny power meters bc no one gives a shit about your power and the most you are going to do with that number is look down and see it and go "hmmm that's interesting" and then you will ride through bb-deep creeks and short them out anyway.

bike: giant revolt advanced 0
    gearing: 50/34 and 11/34t in the back (comes 48/32 stock up front but echoing what Josh wrote I wanted a little more for the flats - also the 34t is completely unnecessary and I will swap it for 11/32 as soon as it wears out).
    tires: 40mm Giant Crosscut gravel - tubeless (I ran Donnelly 36mm last year and I think I prefer those - 40 is a bit much for the paved and hardpacked gravel stuff)
    bike color: all black (this is the most important thing)

Here it is in it's office post-race and post-wash

Name:	IMG_4022.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	20240