Likes Likes:  58
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gravel Race Up Spruce Knob (2019)

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Gravel Race Up Spruce Knob (2019)

Now that everyone has gotten back from Croatan and are super stoked about gravel racing and the rest of you are feeling some pretty intense FOMO...

I am going to turn your attention to another amazingly well run gravel race: The Gravel Race Up Spruce Knob (or GRUSK, since that is a lot of syllables). If you guys remember correctly, I convinced Reji to do this race last year and she absolutely CRUSHED it, taking a nice third place on the Classic Course.

I highly recommend the race, since it is in a beautiful location with some of West Virginia's most scenic gravel roads. This year, in addition to the 50 and 70 mile courses, they added a two-day (or one day if you are Subby) 158 mile bikepacking race that you can either choose to do supported (meaning you will stay in a hotel in Davis) or unsupported (meaning you will camp and carry all of your camping gear with you). I have already signed up and will be doing the unsupported version and think everyone who has the means should do the same. It will be super fun. There will be delicious beer and burritos at Hellbender's in Davis before we camp. If you need a ride, I can carry three extra people but only one extra bike (assuming that my new motorized bike carrier will be ready by then...).

If you do not have the means to do the two-day race, you should definitely still come out to do the regular race. The beer afterwards alone is worth the drive.

https://www.bikereg.com/grusk

Post Thanks / Like

I'm signed up for the 70 mile race on Saturday. What could go wrong?

3. Likes Sunyata, kwarkentien, secstate liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Only two people registered for the GRUSK Grande Loco category so you are basically guaranteed to podium.

5. Likes sjclaeys, josh, Judd, kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Subby View Post
    Only two people registered for the GRUSK Grande Loco category so you are basically guaranteed to podium.
    And don't you get to do Saturday's race for free? So much winning!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Subby View Post
    If this were any other year... But alas, my "fun" year does not allow such... endeavours.

8. Likes kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This looks interesting but I need to get my (fat) ass in gear (kit) if I have any chance of surviving any of it. Hmmmmmmm...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

So everyone seemed to enjoy the bikepacking trip out on the canal this weekend.

Here is your shot to enjoy another beautiful weekend with friends and your bike on some lovely WV gravel!

Come ride bikes with me and camp in Davis, WV! There will be burritos and beer.

11. Likes secstate liked this post
    Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sunyata View Post
    So everyone seemed to enjoy the bikepacking trip out on the canal this weekend.
    Nice of you to ride out and greet us on the way back!

13. Likes Sunyata liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a great ride!! I'm in for the overnight.
    Last edited by secstate; 06-08-2019 at 10:58 AM.

15. Likes Sunyata liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For reasons not entirely clear to me, I signed up for the Classic Route so Iím in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

17. Likes Steve O liked this post