Likes Likes:  13
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Non DOD Fed ID enough to ride across Fort Belvoir?

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Non DOD Fed ID enough to ride across Fort Belvoir?

I will likely have a few hours for a ride Sunday AM, I am thinking of riding down the MVT and beyond to Washington's Gristmill, then back through Kingstowne. This would mean going through Fort Belvoir (not on the awful arterials). I will ride with ID from a civilian Fed Agency. Does anyone know what the Fort's policy on ID for through cyclists is? Will I be turned back at the gates?

Post Thanks / Like

The only public entrance, i.e., where you can get in without a CAC or retired military ID, is the Tulley Gate. Once in, you can exit through any gate.

https://www.belvoir.army.mil/directions.asp

Tulley Gate is the main entrance to the post for visitors. All visitors without a Department of Defense ID card must use Tulley Gate which is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

3. Likes lordofthemark, Starduster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

https://www.belvoir.army.mil/allaccess.asp

Note also that most of the other gates are closed on weekends, which means you won't be able to exit through them either. (On the plus side, Beulah Road going past the golf course is quite a blast when there is no thru traffic.)

5. Likes lordofthemark liked this post
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chuxtr View Post
    The only public entrance, i.e., where you can get in without a CAC or retired military ID, is the Tulley Gate. Once in, you can exit through any gate.

https://www.belvoir.army.mil/directions.asp

Tulley Gate is the main entrance to the post for visitors. All visitors without a Department of Defense ID card must use Tulley Gate which is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
    So I should do the reverse? Come south through Kingstowne, via FFX County Parkway (or branching off to Backlick?) then the sidepath on Rte 1 to the Tully Gate, and back north via the MVT?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scoot View Post
    https://www.belvoir.army.mil/allaccess.asp

Note also that most of the other gates are closed on weekends, which means you won't be able to exit through them either. (On the plus side, Beulah Road going past the golf course is quite a blast when there is no thru traffic.)
    So basically Mt Vernon is a cul de sac on weekends, unless I am willing to ride through the Fort on Richmond Highway?

Post Thanks / Like

Sort of. The new road Jeff Todd Way is also open to the public. It has a sidepath and zero intersections between Pole and Telegraph. I have never ridden on it though, so I can't vouch for its condition.

9. Likes lordofthemark liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scoot View Post
    Sort of. The new road Jeff Todd Way is also open to the public. It has a sidepath and zero intersections between Pole and Telegraph. I have never ridden on it though, so I can't vouch for its condition.
    I can't speak to the sidepath, but have ridden on the road on Jeff Todd without any issues. Two very wide lanes so plenty of space for cars to get around you. Mount Vernon Hwy becomes Jeff Todd when you cross Route 1. If you take Jeff Todd to where it ends, you can turn left on Telegraph, ride up the hill to where the shopping center with Wegman's is, and then turn right on Beaulah if you're trying to get to Kingstowne.

11. Likes lordofthemark, bobco85 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Route 1 through Fort Belvoir isnít the end of the world. The finished that section and added some good bike lanes. You could ride up the parkway to Telegraph to Kingstowne from there. That used to be my commute route home when I worked on the base. As others have noted, Tulley is likely to be the only gate open on the weekend.

Jeff Todd is a good option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chuxtr View Post
    I can't speak to the sidepath, but have ridden on the road on Jeff Todd without any issues. Two very wide lanes so plenty of space for cars to get around you. Mount Vernon Hwy becomes Jeff Todd when you cross Route 1. If you take Jeff Todd to where it ends, you can turn left on Telegraph, ride up the hill to where the shopping center with Wegman's is, and then turn right on Beaulah if you're trying to get to Kingstowne.
    Turn right on Telegraph and use Hayfield to access Kingstowne.

Post Thanks / Like

You've got a couple of options for good routes in that area. I haven't ridden in that area since 2017, but here are a few options of increasing lengths starting from GW's Grist Mill off Mount Vernon Hwy that you could take parts from to build a route:
    1. Stay straight and cross US-1 onto Jeff Todd Way -> side path on west side of Jeff Todd Way -> right onto Telegraph Rd -> left onto Old Telegraph Rd -> left onto Hayfield Rd -> right onto Kingstowne Village Pkwy -> Kingstowne (4.8 miles - Route: https://goo.gl/maps/vkx2F7z4DYE2)
    2. Stay straight and cross US-1 onto Jeff Todd Way -> side path on west side of Jeff Todd Way -> left onto Telegraph Rd bike lanes -> right onto Beulah Rd bike lanes -> right onto Kingstowne Village Pkwy bike lanes -> Kingstowne (6.7 miles - Route: https://goo.gl/maps/pRJMuahjKgG2)
    3. Turn left onto US-1 -> bike lanes or paved side path on the north side of US-1 -> turn right onto Backlick Rd -> start Fairfax County Pkwy Trail -> turn right onto Telegraph Rd bike lanes/buffered bike lanes -> turn left onto Beulah Rd bike lanes -> turn right onto Kingstown Village Pkwy bike lanes -> Kingstowne (8.7 miles - Route: https://goo.gl/maps/kdfJTE9Pbi72)
    4. Turn left onto US-1 -> bike lanes or paved side path on the north side of US-1 -> turn right onto Telegraph Rd -> turn left onto Fairfax County Pkwy Trail -> Backlick Rd -> Loisdale Rd -> Metropolitan Center Dr -> Franconia-Springfield Pkwy Trail around the Metro station -> Walker Ln -> Beulah St -> neighborhood streets -> Kingstowne (11.7 miles - Route: https://goo.gl/maps/zwZxgitrtm72)

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the bike lanes on US-1 because there's no separation from the 45 mph speed limit traffic (i.e. probably traveling 55-60+ mph), but the side paths are pretty great.

15. Likes Starduster liked this post