Likes Likes:  39
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I at fault if I get hit at this type of intersection?

lordofthemark is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zsionakides View Post
    The Glebe Rd bridge does have one of the lanes barreled off for peds/bikes to use. Is there a reason you can't use that.
    I use the route Emm mentions when going from work to a certain place of worship at the corner of Valley and Kenwood on Friday nights. It avoids the Glebe Road bridge, and the climb on Valley (in general travel lanes the whole way, and I am slow up that hill) Other than the spot Emm mentions, its a pretty comfortable route - a mix of pretty rideable general travel lanes, and reasonably good conventional bike lanes (IE door zone, but low parking turnover, and mostly uphill)

Also of course there are likely riders who live in the area right along Four Mile Run Road, since it is an area of affordable housing where some residents rely on bikes for cheap transportation.
    Last edited by lordofthemark; 03-11-2019 at 01:04 PM.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I get the feeling that the law is vague enough that you're basically at the mercy of the responding police officer and how they perceive the situation and write the report. If the report leaves any wiggle room on fault, which in this case seems not unlikely, the driver's insurance company will almost certainly seize on that and try to deny your claim. When I got hit in December, the FFX police found the driver 100% at fault, but still managed to not actually cite the driver because I was following another car (yes, it's absurd). 2.5 months later, and the driver's insurance still hasn't paid me for property damage and is still "investigating." It's possible that they aren't planning to question the fault decision, but they're taking their sweet-ass time and I suspect some of that is trying to find some contributory negligence issue to hide behind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    It is an option for going home at night. Just not a great option either since it requires me to wait at a very long and unpredictable light, and then also go through the "I hope right turners don't hit me" dance, or over-shoot the bridge by going over, turning around on a sidewalk, and getting into the lane.
    I hate those 2 lights on Glebe. However, if you are already on the 4MR trail, you can go through the underpass on Glebe and make a U-turn at the sidewalk on S Four Mile Run Dr to get to the bridge. It totally avoids the light.

4. Likes ChristoB50, Sunyata, n18 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They have a red light. They have no right of way until the light is green. They don't get to hit you just because you're on a bicycle. But if you're on a bicycle then a driver will claim you were going 20 mph and didn't give the driver a chance to not yield (I know. It sounds stupid. It is stupid). If you walk a bike though, you can only be going the speed of a pedestrian and they can't claim that you "came out of nowhere." Even if you ride 2 mph slower than a pedestrian, if you're mounted the driver and all his eyewitness cohorts will claim you were an out of control maniac and that it's your fault.

It was already said: the T-intersection means drivers have the habit of rolling the right on red because they're never in conflict with cars. it behooves you to be at low-speed if you ride across here so that you can stop and avoid the collision that won't be your fault, but they won't blame on the driver either.

6. Likes streetsmarts liked this post
    Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    The problem here is the T-intersection means the right-turn-on-red crowd (don't even get me started on how right-turn-on-red was the first step in the downfall of Western Civilization we are currently living through) has no fear of vehicles coming from their left so they don't even bother to look, much less stop, before proceeding.
    In terms of which, has anyone here ever seen a police officer give a ticket to someone who rolled a right on red? All of us see cars barely slow down before turning right, yet I cannot ever recall seeing anyone stopped for this behavior.
    So, in addition to bentbike's point about no fear of vehicles, there is also no concern about any enforcement.

8. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    But if you want to report via call click connect or your other channels, please do!!! The more reports the better.
    Done!

I submitted another request to see about getting a large swastika carved into the top of a tree stump removed, so I figured I'd do 2 in one day.

10. Likes Emm, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is an example of why contributory negligence reform is necessary. Because despite the fact that the collision would obviously be the fault of the driver, it's hard to be confident that a jury of twelve drivers wouldn't find you 1% liable, just for existing on a bicycle where someone wasn't expecting one.

12. Likes Emm, lordofthemark, Steve O, dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    In terms of which, has anyone here ever seen a police officer give a ticket to someone who rolled a right on red?
    No. I'm sure it happens just enough that the local PD can claim they're not ignoring it, but it's certainly not something people expect. I also haven't seen anyone enforce "no turn on red when pedestrians are present" and have been told that they're considered unenforceable by police. The only solution is an end to right turn on red but that won't happen until self driving cars make it unnecessary.

Post Thanks / Like

...has anyone here ever seen a police officer give a ticket to someone who rolled a right on red?
    Can't recall seeing a cop stop a rolling-right-red car driver...
    Interestingly, I did see a cop pull over a contingent of about 10 roadie/racers biking Hains Point last summer, immediately after the group flew through their right-turn-at-stop-sign, at speed.
    (Don't know if they were ticketed, or just warned that day, but he actually managed to stop and pull over the entire group.)

Post Thanks / Like

In terms of which, has anyone here ever seen a police officer give a ticket to someone who rolled a right on red? All of us see cars barely slow down before turning right, yet I cannot ever recall seeing anyone stopped for this behavior.
    Last fall, one of the most egregious right-on-red violations I've ever seen: a northbound driver on Quaker Lane rolled a right on red onto Preston Road, cutting off a family -- including a baby in a stroller! -- who had the "walk" signal to cross Quaker Lane. I was left gaping at this dangerous and rude behavior. And then I heard an extremely satisfying "whoop whoop." A patrol car was parked at the intersection, and the officer had apparently seen the whole thing. I didn't stick around to see whether the cop gave the driver a ticket or just a warning, but karmic justice acted swiftly in this particular instance.