Likes Likes:  39
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Am I at fault if I get hit at this type of intersection?

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

I would think the only legal vagueness would arise if you biked out of the crosswalk. I think, on the legal technicality, you should stay in the crosswalk up onto the sidewalk, then enter the street from the where the yellow triangle (arrow head) is on ChristoB50's drawing. But the law is 100% unclear on when it's legal to do that. Plus, that makes you much harder for turning cars to see. So practically, don't do that. I think if you stay in the crosswalk until you're almost to the street, then the only place where you'd be in the legal gray zone would be the last few feet of the move. (Hope that makes sense)

Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    Pthere's currently a court case going on in Alexandria where a driver's insurance company is saying since they had a green light to turn, the walk signal shouldn't have been on, therefor it's not the driver's fault they hit and injured a pedestrian. The lawyer defending the injured pedestrian is a member of Alexandria's City Council, hence me hearing about it. Needless to say it's pretty absurd.
    WHA?

2. Likes Emm liked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    But wait. Say the bike rider crosses "in the lane" rather than the crosswalk, essentially where a car would be driving were this a regular X intersection instead of a T. Is the bike rider now the equivalent of a car, and thus has the ROW over cross traffic that has a red light?

I actually think this is may be a safer strategy, because out in the middle you are both more visible to everyone and have more space and time to maneuver should a driver do something stupid. Then you continue straight in the lane as you were intending to do anyway.
    Safer, probably. But assuming there's no green for someone to cross the intersection in "lanes" going on the FMR, not more legal.