Likes Likes:  22
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have a mechanic that they love?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeGortex View Post
    Thanks PMF and everyone else for the great advice. I ended up going over to Bike Kinetic tonight and talked to Pete... super nice guy and knows his stuff. It works well because it's about a mile and half from my house, 2.5 max. So an easy walk to go pick it up when the time comes...

And that pick up will be my new-to-me Open U.P. Classic frame that I scored from the Pros Closet. Parts are mostly Shimano Ultegra Di2. Enve G23 wheels, and a mix of other stuff. And get this... I came out of the shop, got in my car, pulled out my phone to check and see what was buzzing and found an email from Enve telling me I had won an entry through them for the Dirty Kanza in june. WHAT?! I am not worthy... or ready. Yikes.
    If you can find a good shop/mechanic near where you live, that's ideal. I do a lot of work on my bikes myself, but there's always times when I just say screw it and go to Spokes. Over the years, I've built a relationship with the guys who work at that shop. Hopefully you can do the same.

Post Thanks / Like

And that pick up will be my new-to-me Open U.P. Classic frame that I scored from the Pros Closet. Parts are mostly Shimano Ultegra Di2. Enve G23 wheels, and a mix of other stuff.
    Seems like something that's going to need to be posted in the "pics of your bike" thread eventually.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sunyata View Post
    DUDE!!! That is quite exciting! Let me know if you need/want any Kanza prep advice. Although, the course is almost completely different this year, which I am bummed about missing, but I will be back next year!
    Sunyata,

That is very kind of you to offer. I'd love to chat about your experiences sometime! That said, I think I am going to need to defer for this year. I have not been training like I think you need to be, and am not sure I'd be able to do so and cover the logistics for the trip in the time available. I can't see flying out there for anything less than the DK100 or DK200. I'll have to check and see how the course changed... I wasn't aware they had.

JG

4. Likes Sunyata liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    Seems like something that's going to need to be posted in the "pics of your bike" thread eventually.
    Absolutely. I'm excited and happy to share in the joy. Now if I can get rid of the creeping crud my 6yo brought home I could get back to riding the other great bikes I have.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    If you can find a good shop/mechanic near where you live, that's ideal. I do a lot of work on my bikes myself, but there's always times when I just say screw it and go to Spokes. Over the years, I've built a relationship with the guys who work at that shop. Hopefully you can do the same.
    Agreed. I am pretty handy, but know when I am in over my head... and running internal brake and Di2 lines was my marker this time around. In the future maybe I'll tackle such things.

Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

BTW, Mr. Goretex, did you see my post on your other thread?
    I think I am going to pull the trigger if you don't mind holding onto it until I figure out where I will keep it.

Post Thanks / Like

Sunyata,

That is very kind of you to offer. I'd love to chat about your experiences sometime! That said, I think I am going to need to defer for this year. I have not been training like I think you need to be, and am not sure I'd be able to do so and cover the logistics for the trip in the time available. I can't see flying out there for anything less than the DK100 or DK200. I'll have to check and see how the course changed... I wasn't aware they had.

JG
    Yeah, I know the feeling. For Kanza, you really need to start training in early February unless you consistently do 100+ mile rides.

If you do end up deferring, I will hopefully see you out there in 2020!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sunyata View Post
    Yeah, I know the feeling. For Kanza, you really need to start training in early February unless you consistently do 100+ mile rides.

If you do end up deferring, I will hopefully see you out there in 2020!
    Well, I tried to defer, but because it was a promotion from DK through Enve they couldn't do it. :-/ Easy come, easy go. But Enve is going to send me consolation swag.

Yeah, I am not doing regular 100s. Not yet anyway.

JG

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I tried to defer, but because it was a promotion from DK through Enve they couldn't do it. :-/ Easy come, easy go. But Enve is going to send me consolation swag.

Yeah, I am not doing regular 100s. Not yet anyway.

JG
    Bummer about not being able to defer. But YAY for consolation swag!

Post Thanks / Like

If you are father south, Danny, owner of Bull Run Bicycle in Manassass is a great guy and does very fairly priced, quality work.