Likes Likes:  22
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have a mechanic that they love?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone have a mechanic that they love?

Friends,

I have a new frame and parts I want to have built up. I was wondering if anyone has had that sort of work done and have a mechanic they really trust? Preferably in NOVA. Will involve internally routing hydraulic brake lines and Di2 wires. Thanks for any suggestions.

JG

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    "a minefield of dumb games and social cliques badly disguised as a forum for DC bike advocacy."
    Post Thanks / Like

Bikenetic. Pete Beers. David Stearman.

Oh, in DC, David Confer. He is on The Hill.

3. Likes Judd, JorgeGortex liked this post
    Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rcannon100 View Post
    Bikenetic. Pete Beers. David Stearman.

Oh, in DC, David Confer. He is on The Hill.
    Hard to go wrong with Bikenetic. I had a bike assembled at Conte's in Old Town and the work was quality at a fair price.

5. Likes JorgeGortex liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the prior 2 posts--I've had great work done at both shops. The last time I was at Conte's to get tubeless tires installed they even washed my bike for me because "dirty bikes aren't allowed to leave my shop" according the mechanic (...it was after a weekend of gravel riding, I swear it's usually clean...ish).

7. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I also recommend the lovely folks at Bikenetic. Pete Beers has done wonderful work with Di2 stuff. Plus, when you drop your bike off, you can have pie!

9. Likes rcannon100, Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Probably not what you’re looking for, but Phoenix Bikes on Columbia Pike is outstanding. Edoardo and Paul have saved my xxx numerous times.

11. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wheels&wings View Post
    Probably not what you’re looking for, but Phoenix Bikes on Columbia Pike is outstanding. Edoardo and Paul have saved my xxx numerous times.
    Bikenetic4Life but I do also really like the idea of showing the Phoenix folks a little love.

13. Likes Sunyata liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Spokes in Vienna. Jessy, Ron or Paul are all really good mechanics. Paul's a little grumpy, but most good mechanics are. I've had them build up several bikes for me over the years (I always go the buy the frame and components route). They're not cheap -- I think a build is $250 -- but they do a really nice job. I can walk in and they'll fix minor stuff for free. Yesterday I took one of my steel bikes in. I've had it for several years and its always bugged me that the rear wheel is hard to get on and off. My other bikes with horizontal drop outs aren't that way. Ron filed the drop out down a little and expanded it, and now the wheel goes right on and off. He spent almost an hour with it and charged me $10. With the exception of bikes for my kids. I've never bought a bike from them, and they still treat me really nice.

So Jorge ... what did you get?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Spokes in Vienna. Jessy, Ron or Paul are all really good mechanics. Paul's a little grumpy, but most good mechanics are. I've had them build up several bikes for me over the years (I always go the buy the frame and components route). They're not cheap -- I think a build is $250 -- but they do a really nice job. I can walk in and they'll fix minor stuff for free. Yesterday I took one of my steel bikes in. I've had it for several years and its always bugged me that the rear wheel is hard to get on and off. My other bikes with horizontal drop outs aren't that way. Ron filed the drop out down a little and expanded it, and now the wheel goes right on and off. He spent almost an hour with it and charged me $10. With the exception of bikes for my kids. I've never bought a bike from them, and they still treat me really nice.

So Jorge ... what did you get?
    Thanks PMF and everyone else for the great advice. I ended up going over to Bike Kinetic tonight and talked to Pete... super nice guy and knows his stuff. It works well because it's about a mile and half from my house, 2.5 max. So an easy walk to go pick it up when the time comes...

And that pick up will be my new-to-me Open U.P. Classic frame that I scored from the Pros Closet. Parts are mostly Shimano Ultegra Di2. Enve G23 wheels, and a mix of other stuff. And get this... I came out of the shop, got in my car, pulled out my phone to check and see what was buzzing and found an email from Enve telling me I had won an entry through them for the Dirty Kanza in june. WHAT?! I am not worthy... or ready. Yikes.

16. Likes josh, Sunyata, Subby, Lt. Dan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeGortex View Post
    found an email from Enve telling me I had won an entry through them for the Dirty Kanza in june. WHAT?! I am not worthy... or ready. Yikes.
    DUDE!!! That is quite exciting! Let me know if you need/want any Kanza prep advice. Although, the course is almost completely different this year, which I am bummed about missing, but I will be back next year!