Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0

Thread: Rock 'n Roll DC looking for lead cyclists

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rock 'n Roll DC looking for lead cyclists

A reminder that the Rock 'n Roll DC is tomorrow so watch out for road closures! Also they are looking for some lead cyclists if anyone would like to help out. If you can't beat the road closures, you can take advantage of them!

===

The United Airlines Rock 'n' Roll Washington DC Marathon is on March 9th, and we would love for your cyclists to join us as Lead Cyclists!

We had a few of our cyclists drop out, so were hoping you could share this with your club to see if any of your members are interested in joining us last minute. Lead Cyclists ride alongside the top racers (male, female, wheelchair) and have the luxury of a completely empty course in the middle of DC! What better way to spend a 50 degree, sunny Saturday?

We are looking for cyclists from 6:15am-10am for our full marathon or 7:30am-10:30am for our half marathon. All volunteers will receive a t-shirt, drawstring bag, and the heartfelt thanks of thousands of runners! We can also offer a donation grant from the Ironman Foundation to nonprofit groups that join us (school groups, cycling teams, charities, etc.)

For more information about this year's event, visit:
    https://www.runrocknroll.com/en/events/dc/register

And to sign up as a Lead Cyclist, visit:
    http://competitorgroupinc.volunteerl..._over&id=33680
    (Scroll most of the way down, second from the bottom.)

Thanks so much!

2. Likes josh, Boomer2U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Had no idea this was a possible opportunity, thanks David! Registered, let's just see if I get the confirmation and whatever details in time.

Post Thanks / Like

hehehe -- if ONLY it were a 50-degree Saturday, tomorrow -- the runners will be lucky to see 40 by noon.

Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope they have a good run. I've done the lead cyclist with Rock n' Roll three times, riding the first year with the third place male, the second with Arlington's Michael Wardian, and the third year with the lead female runner one year. It's been cold or wet - after all, it is March.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, that was pretty fun. Rolled out there and followed the lead car, in front of the lead runners, and had pretty minimal responsibilities. Came in at about 2:08, so a pretty respectable time had I been on foot. Weather was perfect. I'm going to try and do it again next year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Ok, that was pretty fun. Rolled out there and followed the lead car, in front of the lead runners, and had pretty minimal responsibilities. Came in at about 2:08, so a pretty respectable time had I been on foot. Weather was perfect. I'm going to try and do it again next year.
    Just curious- what responsibilities would you have had in case something happened? I know they didn't put you out there to cruise...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Starduster View Post
    Just curious- what responsibilities would you have had in case something happened? I know they didn't put you out there to cruise...
    So at the briefing this morning, it sounded like orange safety cones would be thrown out of the lead car, and we'd put them on top of (or in?) large potholes. This never ended up happening. Riding along Fort Davis Dr in Fort Dupont Park was basically riding one giant pothole though. Really the only section where we did anything (at least the two other cyclists I was with in front) was along East Capitol EOTR, where there were multiple lanes of runners going in different directions (a 5k and the full marathon I believe). Here we moved in front of the lead car to try and part the waters of oncoming runners so we could proceed.

9. Likes SarahBee liked this post