Likes Likes:  17
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Construction night work will temporarily close Custis Trail near Lynn Street

Post Thanks / Like

Default Construction night work will temporarily close Custis Trail near Lynn Street

From the Arlington DES:

On Thursday evening, March 7, the contractor for the Lynn Street Esplanade and Custis Trail Improvements project will work through the night at the northeast corner of the Lynn Street/westbound Lee Highway intersection, next to the I-66 off-ramp.

The work will occur between 10 pm and 5 am.

The Custis Trail in this area will be closed for a short period during this work in order to make connections to a new waterline.

When the trail is closed, crews will flag and assist Custis Trail users to direct them safely around the work area.

Visit the project page

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure the current temporary realignment of the IOD is optimal. It seems to give LPI runners a chance to build momentum before mowing down cyclists and pedestrians "not in the crosswalk".

3. Likes huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    I'm not sure the current temporary realignment of the IOD is optimal. It seems to give LPI runners a chance to build momentum before mowing down cyclists and pedestrians "not in the crosswalk".
    Yes, it's worse. It also gives the police extra opportunity to cite a run-over pedestrian or cyclist for not being in the crosswalk--since they can't get to the crosswalk.

Outbound, I've started taking the lane on Lee for the first block, then cutting over at Ft. Meyer (or, if that's clustered, at the hotel driveway). Inbound, I've gone with being as fast as I can rather than a sitting duck.
    Last edited by huskerdont; 05-06-2019 at 11:01 AM.

5. Likes bentbike33, Steve O, sjclaeys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    Outbound, I've started taking the lane on Lee for the first block, then cutting over at Ft. Meyer (or, if that's clustered, at the hotel driveway).
    This is a good plan, especially for dealing with the world-class box-blockers every afternoon.

7. Likes huskerdont, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It will be especially awesome a week from Friday on Bike to Work Day!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sjclaeys View Post
    It will be especially awesome a week from Friday on Bike to Work Day!
    We will have the benefit of annoyance in numbers.

If we had that kind of participation every day, they'd have to start paying attention to us. ("They" being drivers and policy makers.)

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps the folks who run BTWD could request law enforcement presence at IOD on that day. I've certainly appreciated the difference it makes when APD occasionally stations officers there. Just a thought.
    Last edited by Drewdane; 05-09-2019 at 11:48 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

What does "IOD" stand for?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post
    Silly boy! We need to get you off the dirt trails you so capably ride.

It is the Intersection of Doom, at Lynn and Lee in Rosslyn, where drivers turn right across a major trail crossing.

13. Likes huskerdont, drevil liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post
    Intersection Of Doom

It's where the Custis/Mt. Vernon Trail crosses Lynn St. alongside Lee Hwy in Rosslyn. The complication is 2 lanes of right-turn-on-red traffic from westbound Lee Hwy toward Key Bridge. Go through during afternoon rush hour, and the origin of "Doom" becomes readily apparent.

15. Likes huskerdont, drevil liked this post