Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cannot connect to server

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cannot connect to server

Was checking the leaderboard this morning at 8:30, and I couldn’t access the site because Safari couldn’t connect to the server. Is that an error on my end, or are others experiencing the same?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Same issue. I am sure the internet gods will solve the problem.

Post Thanks / Like

We're aware and looking into it, thanks

Post Thanks / Like

It's up now. Some scary error messages from the server, though, We'll keep an eye on things.

Post Thanks / Like

The Russians/Chinese are hacking FS to change the outcome!

Post Thanks / Like

All the weather related stats (I think using Weather Underground) haven't updated in a week or more. I believe at the beginning of the event, someone mentioned Underground changed something that might
    break the FS data pull at some point.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, Weather Underground killed their API, and we never identified a replacement. I would not count on weather data for the balance of this year's competition.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    Yeah, Weather Underground killed their API, and we never identified a replacement. I would not count on weather data for the balance of this year's competition.
    Wow, IBM killed that product really thoroughly. And nice job, WU, selling it to a tech monster so old school that they appear to offer ZERO low cost options. After years of evaluating stuff from Google and Amazon Web Services that are priced in units that cost less than a nickel, it's shocking to see an open API replaced with something that requires individual sales team intervention, meaning probably nothing is available for less than a few thousand dollars. This sucks.

https://apicommunity.wunderground.co...nderground-api

BAFS issue opened: https://github.com/freezingsaddles/f...web/issues/116
    Last edited by peterw_diy; 03-01-2019 at 01:11 AM. Reason: Add link to GitHub issue

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peterw_diy View Post
    Wow, IBM killed that product really thoroughly. And nice job, WU, selling it to a tech monster so old school that they appear to offer ZERO low cost options. After years of evaluating stuff from Google and Amazon Web Services that are priced in units that cost less than a nickel, it's shocking to see an open API replaced with something that requires individual sales team intervention, meaning probably nothing is available for less than a few thousand dollars. This sucks.
    The WU API has been around since 2010 to help you develop apps and websites as well as manage your Personal Weather Station data. During that time, we’ve watched you build amazing products and visualize weather data with creativity and purpose.
    The Weather Company, which acquired WU back in 2012, offers a powerful suite of enterprise-grade APIs that might be better suited to meet your scale and performance needs while offering a broader range of weather data.
    Yeah you'd think there'd be something below "enterprise-grade". Who's going to do the premium BikeArlington® Freezing™ Saddles© p/b Uber in 2020?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    Here are some free weather API I found:

https://openweathermap.org/api <- Update rate "< 2 Hours", may not be suitable.
    https://www.apixu.com/pricing.aspx
    https://www.weatherbit.io/pricing <- Update rate 2 Hours, may not be suitable.

11. Likes jrenaut, josh, Bob James liked this post