Likes Likes:  60
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Bike Unfriendly Curb Cut on Walter Reed Project

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Taken two days ago. The poles for the crosswalk buttons are going up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They added beg buttons to the W&OD crossing. They better not be planning to actually turn them on, as that would be a big downgrade in service for trail users.

2. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zsionakides View Post
    They added beg buttons to the W&OD crossing. They better not be planning to actually turn them on, as that would be a big downgrade in service for trail users.
    These buttons can often make crossing roads easier for people with vision impairments. The project website doesn't seem to have specifics on any changes to signals.

4. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

These buttons can often make crossing roads easier for people with vision impairments. The project website doesn't seem to have specifics on any changes to signals.
    The auditory info I hear at some crosswalks must be very helpful. But the buttons?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scoot View Post
    The auditory info I hear at some crosswalks must be very helpful. But the buttons?
    The buttons contain an arrow indicating the direction to cross, which is valuable when buttons are located on the same pole and relying on sound alone would make it difficult to tell which crossing has the right of way. The arrow is high contrast (usually white arrow on black housing) which is easier to see for individuals who are not completely blind. Pushing the button typically gives a warning of the current status of the signal. Most of the ones in Arlington now say "Wait". If you hold the button down for about a second it often will tell you what street your at. In this case it should be "Wait to cross Walter Reed Drive at South Four Mile Run. Wait!" Most of the recently installed ones that I've seen say wait continuously until the pedestrian signal changes and then they either beep or give an audible "Walk sign is on across Walter Reed Drive."
    Last edited by Judd; 05-24-2019 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Typo

7. Likes Kolohe, scoot, LhasaCM, secstate, KLizotte liked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

The buttons contain an arrow indicating the direction to cross, which is valuable when buttons are located on the same pole and relying on sound alone would make it difficult to tell which crossing has the right of way. The arrow is high contrast (usually white arrow on black housing) which is easier to see for individuals who are not completely blind. Pushing the button typically gives a warning of the current status of the signal. Most of the ones in Arlington now say "Wait". If you hold the button down for about a second it often will tell you what street your at. In this case it should be "Wait to cross Walter Reed Drive at South Four Mile Run. Wait!" Most of the recently installed ones that I've seen say wait continuously until the pedestrian signal changes and then they either beep or give an audible "Walk sign is on across Walter Reed Drive."
    The County has the ability to make the ped signal come one whenever the traffic signal comes on, but still have the button there to activate the audio. So for most users, the button does nothing. For the vision impaired, the button tells the box to make a sound when that direction has green. Arlington has this in a few places, and this should be the set up on the W&OD.

9. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    The County has the ability to make the ped signal come one whenever the traffic signal comes on, but still have the button there to activate the audio. So for most users, the button does nothing. For the vision impaired, the button tells the box to make a sound when that direction has green. Arlington has this in a few places, and this should be the set up on the W&OD.
    This may be a best case scenario.

The beg buttons at Barcroft and on the 4MR trail at Walter Reed are inconsistent depending on whether the light cycle got triggered by cross traffic. I'm ok with the audio portion for visually impaired individuals, but the button triggers themselves need to go and the light be always on when the parallel street has a green light. Even better would be leading pedestrian indicators, particularly with the aggressive left turns from 4MR onto Walter Reed.

Post Thanks / Like

I took photos of the "raised" crosswalk and it's basically not raised at all.
    I checked in with the Project Manager about the raised crosswalk:

"Construction looks finished, but it isnít. There is more work and several corrections to come. The raised crosswalk is one of them. There was a grading error."

Stay tuned.

12. Likes Judd, KLizotte liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris_s View Post
    I checked in with the Project Manager about the raised crosswalk:

"Construction looks finished, but it isnít. There is more work and several corrections to come. The raised crosswalk is one of them. There was a grading error."

Stay tuned.
    Thanks for emailing. Itís been on my to do list. It appears that this contractor has had to rework multiple things on the project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. 06-28-2019, 08:11 PM

Reason
    wrong thread

Post Thanks / Like

I took photos of the "raised" crosswalk and it's basically not raised at all.
    E-mail today from the Project Manager:

Later this week, weather permitting, the contractor will begin corrective construction work associated with the S. Walter Reed Drive Improvement Project. This will include addressing the raised crosswalk at the slip lane on S. Arlington Mill Drive and replacing portions of curb and gutter on the north bound side of S. Walter Reed Drive, among other items.

16. Likes dasgeh, Arlingtonrider, KLizotte liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So unfortunately it looks like they DID make this a beg button at the S Walter Reed Dr intersection. I was stopped and waiting for the crosswalk this morning and the 4MR traffic got the green but no crosswalk light, even with no left turn traffic and light. I almost missed it while chatting with another cyclist. So make sure you push that button when you get there . . .