Likes Likes:  48
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Bike Unfriendly Curb Cut on Walter Reed Project

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vern View Post
    Granted, that light pole is in the way, but I don't understand why it's so important to be able to make a turn without stopping so that a bike can cross at the crosswalk, instead of turning on Walter Reed and crossing on the road, assuming that one wants to go south on Walter Reed. It seems odd to argue that bikes need better access to pedestrian infrastructure.
    South of the crosswalk has been converted into a multi use trail over Four Mile Run which turns this crosswalk into a trail crossing. As part of the trail creation, the bridge is losing the bike lanes that were previously there so riding in the road means taking a lane on Walter Reed. For someone like me thatís probably an okayish workaround.

If I were leading a group of 8 year olds on a ride this would be a challenging corner. Or had a kiddo on a trailer cycle like a few forum folks do.

If I jumped on Gillianís long tail with two kids on the back and made a break for it then Flintstoning the bike around this corner would suck. If I were in the crosswalk and had to queue in the road to wait for someone to make the awkward turn off the trail Iíd probably be unhappy.

Itís a tough spot to design around as Iím sure the cost of moving a high voltage power line is cost prohibitive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes kwarkentien, lordofthemark liked this post
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vern View Post
    Granted, that light pole is in the way, but I don't understand why it's so important to be able to make a turn without stopping so that a bike can cross at the crosswalk, instead of turning on Walter Reed and crossing on the road, assuming that one wants to go south on Walter Reed. It seems odd to argue that bikes need better access to pedestrian infrastructure.
    Well for one, the wide path on the north side of Walter Reed was made wide, IIUC, specifically in order to be a shared use path for people on bikes (and scooters?) as well as pedestrians.

It connects to the Lucky Run Trail, which is also for people on bikes as well as pedestrians (as the center stripe on it should hint at - where does ped only infra have a center stripe?)

While the delightful sharrows in the right lane on SB Walter Reed is certainly adequate infrastructure for many riders, the fact that Walter Reed is signed at 30MPH, often has high traffic volumes, and is a reasonably long upgrade (which means slower rider speeds) is going to deter many people on bikes - just the kinds of people who are new to riding, and who want to get to the trail network. In fact some even use the Lucky Run Trail to go NB on Walter Reed, despite the downhill being easier and more comfortable for people with intermediate levels of strength and confidence.

Alexandria is adding density at King and Beauregard. There will be a bike share station. Eventually when the West End Transitway is complete, there will be a wide shared used path on Beauregard. When the Alexandria Gateway project is completed, there will be a wide shared use path on the west side of King from Beauregard to North Hampton. Those facilities are designed for the "interested but concerned" riders. It would be a shame if it were hard for them to access the regional trail network - while its great that the folks who can zoom confidently up Walter Reed use the trail network (though it would be better for all concerned if more of them would make an effort to ride at a pace appropriate to trails which have walkers and slow riders) the trail network is especially important to the "interested but concerned".

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    South of the crosswalk has been converted into a multi use trail over Four Mile Run which turns this crosswalk into a trail crossing. As part of the trail creation, the bridge is losing the bike lanes that were previously there so riding in the road means taking a lane on Walter Reed. For someone like me that’s probably an okayish workaround.
    To note, many people on this forum frequently point out the problems with conventional painted bike lane like the ones being removed - "paint is not protection", bad conditions in the bike lane itself, drivers coming too close to the bike lane, it encourages drivers to disrespect people who take the lane instead of the bike lane, etc. Arguably having the two options of A. Taking the lane and B. Taking a wide shared use path - is a better approach for BOTH highly confident vehicular cyclists and the interested but concerned than painted bike lanes are.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    If I were leading a group of 8 year olds on a ride this would be a challenging corner. Or had a kiddo on a trailer cycle like a few forum folks do.

If I jumped on Gillian’s long tail with two kids on the back and made a break for it then Flintstoning the bike around this corner would suck. If I were in the crosswalk and had to queue in the road to wait for someone to make the awkward turn off the trail I’d probably be unhappy.

It’s a tough spot to design around as I’m sure the cost of moving a high voltage power line is cost prohibitive.
    Yes! It's about designing for everyone, not the fast and fit. In this location, I would investigate whether it would be possible to connect on the other side of the giant pole. If not, I would look at the angles involved. It looks like this would be possible with a trailer/long tail, but that bike would be the only one that could use the curb cut. It would be like the angled curb cuts across N Uhle by the new MOM's. It's honestly not the biggest deal now, but it's not planning for more bike trips.

6. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

what's galling is that if they needed to move the post to make a bigger road, they would. for pedestrians, they just don't care.

Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    Yes! It's about designing for everyone, not the fast and fit. In this location, I would investigate whether it would be possible to connect on the other side of the giant pole.
    Someone take a look next time, but I am pretty certain there is 10 feet or more between the power pole and the new pole with the beg button (not in this street view).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	walter reed.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	20071

Name:	space.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	20072

I am also pretty certain that this suggestion was made at a Bicycle Advisory Committee meeting long before the project was started, probably by me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Someone take a look next time, but I am pretty certain there is 10 feet or more between the power pole and the new pole with the beg button (not in this street view).

Name:	walter reed.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	20071

Name:	space.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	20072

I am also pretty certain that this suggestion was made at a Bicycle Advisory Committee meeting long before the project was started, probably by me.
    Iíll see if I can get a rough measure on the way home. It didnít seem quite 10 feet wide to me But wide enough to have put in a connection I also seem to recall a manhole cover in that space.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zsionakides View Post
    I didn't get photos, but it looks like the crossing of the slip lane on Arlington Mill Drive to the refuge area will be at road grade and not a raised crosswalk like shown in the project documents. That means the school buses and other trucks who currently don't stop for pedestrians and bikes can continue their practice without having to slow down in the future.
    I took photos of the "raised" crosswalk and it's basically not raised at all. If I had to guess, there's about 3" of grade difference and it's over such a long distance, you could drive through there at full speed without slowing at all for the crosswalk. They also appear to have made the area wider to drive through since the plastic bollards were taken down. Approaching the slip lane, drivers can now cut across the striped, non-bollared area before the refuge which happened to me while I was crossing.

I already wasn't impressed by the execution of this project, but the County has actually made that crossing less safe and more burdensome to cross than it was before.

Name:	20190522_085449.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	20093
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by zsionakides; 05-22-2019 at 09:50 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Now that the crosswalks are striped, you can see that the SW corner of Walter Reed and 4 Mile Run requires either navigating a chicane or going outside the crosswalk to actually get to/from the shared use path on Walter Reed. This would be hard to properly navigate on a regular bike and not possible with a trailer

Name:	20190522_091927_HDR.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	100.9 KB 
ID:	20095

Post Thanks / Like

Taken two days ago. The poles for the crosswalk buttons are going up.