Likes Likes:  16
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0

Thread: Bike Rodeo Volunteers Needed

Judd is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bike Rodeo Volunteers Needed

Alexandria Bicycle Pedestrian Advisory Committee needs volunteers to help with a very ambitious schedule of 9 bike rodeos this spring. Volunteers help with checking in participants, helmet fitting or one of 6 stations designed to teach elementary school children basic bicycle safety skills such as stopping at stop signs, turning, signaling, exiting driveways and sidewalks and riding over rough pavement and ramps. Each station typically has two volunteers and detailed instructions will be provided before you show up. I've volunteered at several of these events and they're always a blast. The kids are super cute and it's fun to see how much they improve the third or fourth time running through the station.

You don't have to be an Alexandrian to help out.

Dates, times and locations are below. If you're interested in volunteering, please send an e-mail to Eldon Boes at boes509@comcast.net and indicate which rodeos you can help with. Let him know that Judd sent you.

Thursday, April 4
    5:30 to 7 pm
    SunTrust Bank Parking lot
    2809 Mt. Vernon Avenue

Saturday, April 6
    10:00 to 11:30 am
    At Douglas MacArthur ES
    1101 Janneys Lane

Saturday, April 13
    Townes at Cameron Parke
    North on Cameron Parke
    CT off Eisenhower

Saturday, April 27
    10 am to noon
    At Alexandria Earth Day,
    Lenny Harris Field south of
    GW Middle School

Sunday, May 5
    Mount Jefferson Traffic
    Garden
    278 E Raymond Avenue

Saturday, May 11
    10:00 am to 11:30 am
    At Samuel Tucker ES
    435 Ferdinand Day Drive

Saturday, May 25
    At Charles Barrett ES

Friday, June 7
    6:00 to 7:30pm
    At James K Polk ES
    5000 Polk Avenue

Saturday, June 8
    10:00 am to 11:30
    Parking Lot at Chapman
    and Commonwealth

2. Likes ChristoB50, drevil, Emm, CaseyKane50, camiller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Alexandria BPAC is going high tech! We are now using Sign Up Genius to manage volunteer registration and we could use lots of help for the Spring season. Sign up to volunteer here: http://bit.ly/Spring2019Rodeos

What is a Bike Rodeo? That was my first question when I was asked to be a volunteer at a Bike Rodeo!

Bike Rodeos are fun events, where youth learn valuable lessons about how to interact with pedestrians, cars, and what to do at traffic signs. Before starting a course through a “mock city”, their bikes get a thorough safety check, and each youth demonstrates that they know how to wear their helmet safely. Then on to the course, for “bumpy road” and other stations where they have fun, while also practicing their riding skills. Bottom line: A Bike Rodeo is an event where youth have fun while also practicing bike safety and skills!

The volunteer tasks are really easy and the kids are a lot of fun. You'll get a full set of instructions ahead of time and we often pair volunteers together at each station. I'll likely instigate a lunch outing afterwards for the ones that I'm volunteering at.

4. Likes ChristoB50, CaseyKane50 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll jump in on 4/27... counting on those instructions ahead of time! -- or else, shift me over to "Registration/Sign-up"

6. Likes Judd, CaseyKane50 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChristoB50 View Post
    I'll jump in on 4/27... counting on those instructions ahead of time! -- or else, shift me over to "Registration/Sign-up"
    I promise you'll get some--I was freaked out last year when I volunteered at my first rodeo, but it ended up being super easy, and a ton of fun. Now I'm volunteering at like 7 of them, so CLEARLY I enjoyed the experience .

8. Likes CaseyKane50, LhasaCM, Judd, Sunyata liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChristoB50 View Post
    April 27th is our Alexandria Earth Day Bike Rodeo Extravaganza!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for posting. This sounds fun! I have signed up for 3 of them. This will be new to me. Maybe I can learn a few things and try to do some in Fairfax County.

11. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by camiller View Post
    Thanks for posting. This sounds fun! I have signed up for 3 of them. This will be new to me. Maybe I can learn a few things and try to do some in Fairfax County.
    Thank you for volunteering. Please steal our format! If you’re interested in doing some in FABBlandia we will be happy to share all of our documents and know how.

13. Likes camiller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Thank you for volunteering. Please steal our format! If you’re interested in doing some in FABBlandia we will be happy to share all of our documents and know how.
    Thank you for your offer, Judd. I will soak it all in and share the knowledge.

15. Likes Judd liked this post