Thread: BAFS National Cathedral group ride + private tour

Post Thanks / Like

Default BAFS National Cathedral group ride + private tour

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2270_Budny_EB.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	19626

Ever wanted to check out that massive Gothic structure perched high above D.C.'s skyline? That's Washington National Cathedral -- the only place on earth you'll find Darth Vader's head in stone, the only American president laid to rest in D.C., an actual piece of the moon, and the world's largest publicly-built LEGO cathedral (construction underway!) -- all housed within the spectacular results of D.C.'s longest-running construction job. Beautiful art, architecture and craftsmanship abound throughout the awe-inspiring spaces of this active church.

Even if you have visited before, there's more there to take in than a single visit could ever hope to encompass...
    Join Chris Budny (BAF member Christob50), longtime cathedral docent, for a private extended cathedral tour following a group ride up Mount Saint Alban.

***Please Note: My private guided tour of the cathedral building is limited to 30 participants -- please use the EventBrite link below to reserve a spot on that guided tour if you're pretty sure you can attend. (ie, please don't use EventBrite if you only plan to join the ride portion.)

Meet{Note Revised Times are now meet 8am, rollout 8:30am}
    Saturday, March 9, 8:00am at Velo Cafe (730 Maine Ave SW, Washington, DC 20024)
    Rollout at 8:30am
    Note: If nasty weather is forecast for the ride, I will postpone to another date & notify everyone the night before.

Route
    Approximately 8 miles. Much will be on D.C. streets (about 5 miles) with 2 miles on Rock Creek Trail (including the steep climb along Shoreham Drive to Calvert Street.)
    Approximate route: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29443...JRtEEI6qNiUtSA
    3 brief stops en route, for tie-ins with the cathedral's history.

Pace
    No drop. Stopping at stop signs & red lights; casual city-street pace.
    Anticipating arrival at the cathedral by/before 10:30.
    My guided tour of the cathedral will then run approximately 60-75 minutes.

Bathrooms
    Available at Velo Cafe and at the cathedral.

What To Bring
    Bike lock -- bike racks are available in the cathedral's parking garage.
    Camera (photography is permitted in the cathedral)
    $12 for Touring Admission to Washington National Cathedral (cash/credit).

Also kindly requested:

• Non-cleat shoes to change into (or covers leaving no exposed metal) for walking the marble floors.
    • Outer 'street clothes' to put over your biking attire (if your attire is, let's say, particularly aero or revealing. Donning shorts and a t-shirt would suffice.)

Note: The cathedral has no lockers or storage space for personal belongings, nor is food/drink permitted inside.

After Party
    I plan to head just up the street to Cactus Cantina, for a "Mount Saint Alban's margarita"!

There's an Eventbrite for this event, which you must use to secure your spot on the guided tour:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/bafs-na...ts-57292395096
    Last edited by ChristoB50; 03-07-2019 at 08:19 AM. Reason: add photo

2. Likes komorebi, josh, camiller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's so awesome that you're doing this! I took a tour years ago, but I'm looking forward to the ride and to learning more about the cathedral.

4. Likes ChristoB50, Judd liked this post
    Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Iím signed up too. Chris has put a lot of work into organizing this ride and Iím looking forward to my first visit to the National Cathedral.

Chris has been a docent at the Cathedral for 23 years so the tour is going to be top notch.

This is also the first time Chris is leading a ride and Iím happy to see another forum member helping give back to other cyclists and create a sense of community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Likes ChristoB50, LhasaCM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just popping in to give this forum topic a nudge... The bike ride + cathedral private tour is a week away, March 9.
    There are still some Eventbrite registration spaces available (the max group size for the private tour is 30 people, all via Eventbrite signup.)
    Ping me if you have any questions!
    -Chris

8. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Heads up to those coming to the ride, and on the ride--there are a TON of road closures in DC Saturday thanks to a marathon. I think the route may need modification for this ride since it goes along some closed roads from what I can see.

https://www.runrocknroll.com/Events/.../Road-Closures

10. Likes ChristoB50 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    Heads up to those coming to the ride, and on the ride--there are a TON of road closures in DC Saturday thanks to a marathon. I think the route may need modification for this ride since it goes along some closed roads from what I can see.

https://www.runrocknroll.com/Events/.../Road-Closures
    Thanks Emm;
    I've been reviewing the planned route with Josephine as well, and comparing against the Marathon map -- the only potential conflict I can identify is along Rock Creek Park -- the runners will use the roadway though, not the parallel trail.
    (I reached out to the marathon organizers to confirm their setups won't use / restrict the parallel trail... supposedly, they will not...!) We could encounter onlookers along RCP Trail, and up the hill of Shoreham to Calvert -- though we turn left then, while the marathon turns right...

The rest of our DC road route should be on streets that are well within the "overall perimeter" defined by the run map, and the closing listing (as far as I can make out!) -- then after the Rock Creek stretch, we'll be "outside" the perimeter (ie, going northwest of Calvert.)

Fingers crossed...!

12. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChristoB50 View Post
    Thanks Emm;
    I've been reviewing the planned route with Josephine as well, and comparing against the Marathon map -- the only potential conflict I can identify is along Rock Creek Park -- the runners will use the roadway though, not the parallel trail.
    Hopefully! If not, there will be some bike-walking along the trail. I know the MVT get swarmed with people on days there are races along the GW parkway (which are thankfully, very few).

My post was also meant to warn people going to the ride to plan accordingly, since getting through road closures can add time to your bike trip since you may be required to detour, or at the very least stop, and walk your bike across the road closure at an approved time.

14. Likes ChristoB50 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    My post was also meant to warn people going to the ride to plan accordingly, since getting through road closures can add time to your bike trip since you may be required to detour, or at the very least stop, and walk your bike across the road closure at an approved time.
    Thanks!
    I'm coming from VA, over 14th Street Bridge to Case Bridge to Maine Avenue... doesn't look like that will be impacted -- but of course DC or MD residents may face added challenges reaching Velo Cafe...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChristoB50 View Post
    Thanks!
    I'm coming from VA, over 14th Street Bridge to Case Bridge to Maine Avenue... doesn't look like that will be impacted -- but of course DC or MD residents may face added challenges reaching Velo Cafe...
    Any MD folks coming from northeast should be okay taking the ART to Benning, and then crossing the river there to take the West Bank trail (that'll go under E Capitol where the runners will be, and avoid the East Bank trail alongside the course).

Given the relative narrowness of the RCP trail in that section on a good day, I'd recommend looking at an alternate route if for no other reason than a backup plan; I vaguely recall trying to go that way during a race a couple of years ago (wasn't RnR) and ended up having to walk my bike for the better part of a mile because of the congestion/onlookers/etc.

17. Likes ChristoB50 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LhasaCM View Post
    Given the relative narrowness of the RCP trail in that section on a good day, I'd recommend looking at an alternate route if for no other reason than a backup plan; I vaguely recall trying to go that way during a race a couple of years ago (wasn't RnR) and ended up having to walk my bike for the better part of a mile because of the congestion/onlookers/etc.
    Yeah -- I do have an alternate route already mapped; I'm thinking we'll get to the M Street bridge to have a view of RCPT -- if it looks feasible we'll stick to that route, if it looks jam-packed with spectators, we can take 28th up to P, over to 22, catch R to Mass Ave, cut through a posh 'hood and reconnect with Calvert past all the marathon route...
    Last edited by ChristoB50; 03-06-2019 at 03:25 PM. Reason: revise alt. rte.