Likes Likes:  109
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Washington Blvd repaving thru Westover

DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

The WOD next to Virginia Lane is a bike path (and I take the road since fast biking on basically sidewalks is dangerous). Similarly, what is along side MacArthur is basically a bike path. There are very few driveways that cross it. Fast riders tend to take the street and generally piss off drivers to no end. None of these are PBLs.

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DismalScientist View Post
    What exactly are PBLs without parking if not just buffered lanes? Are flexiposts sufficient to provide protection but not painted buffers?

Well for one flexposts deter parking or stopping in the bike lane which can be a problem. The noise hitting them makes can awaken a sleeping or distracted driver, or alert law enforcement.

There are also other protections like parkits that can be used but I can't think of any examples in NoVa.

3. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The WOD next to Virginia Lane is a bike path (and I take the road since fast biking on basically sidewalks is dangerous). Similarly, what is along side MacArthur is basically a bike path. There are very few driveways that cross it. Fast riders tend to take the street and generally piss off drivers to no end. None of these are PBLs.
    Bike paths or shared used paths are typically defined by having an exclusive ROW. Virginia Ln and Macarthur's cycletracks do not have exclusive ROW, however, their design makes them feel similar in comfort to an SUP.

5. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    That it's difficult to remove onstreet parking from an arterial suggest to me that the area is not as low density as much of the USA is. (I would also note that newer suburbs are much more likely to have arterials with more but narrower lanes, rather than one wide lane in each direction - see Ashburn for example)

The part of Seminary under study is east of I395, the City is likely to propose a road diet from 4 to 3 lanes - to discourage speeding - the limit is 25MPH but is widely disregarded - and to ease pedestrians crossing the streets - to reduce lane changing that creates crashes - to provide a center left turn lane that would expedite traffic and reduce rear end collisions - to ease people getting out of their driveways. The traffic volumes are significantly less east of Jordan than from I395 to Jordan, as much traffic from I 395 turns SB onto Jordan - it is possible that different treatments will be proposed east and west of Jordan, but I would not want to prejudice what T&ES may propose. IF a 4 to 3 road diet is done, it is very likely (and keeping with the City bike-ped master plan) that the extra space would go to bike lanes. There is no on-street parking in that area, so they would not be parking protected PBLs.

I will try not to speak of other jurisdictions, but in Alexandria at least, I strongly hold that even a mostly detached SFH area needs to have complete streets - both for the safety and comfort of residents who want to walk and bike, for the safety of residents who prefer to drive within the 25MPH speed limit, and to make it possible for people from nearby denser areas to walk and ride through it and to use transit within it. if the central "hole" of Alexandria is excluded from complete streets and traffic calming, we will fail to achieve our vision as a City. How that plays out in other jurisdictions will depend on details of geography.
    On Seminary is the city looking at extending or putting a cycletrack on the north side to connect the bridge over 395. I don't remember where the first signalized crossing is, but I believe it's a few blocks east of 395.

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zsionakides View Post
    On Seminary is the city looking at extending or putting a cycletrack on the north side to connect the bridge over 395. I don't remember where the first signalized crossing is, but I believe it's a few blocks east of 395.

The City has not yet revealed its proposed options (its likely more than one will be available for the public to comment on). Certainly they are aware of the benefits of connectivity to the bridge.

DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zsionakides View Post
    Bike paths or shared used paths are typically defined by having an exclusive ROW. Virginia Ln and Macarthur's cycletracks do not have exclusive ROW, however, their design makes them feel similar in comfort to an SUP.
    OK then. Washington Blvd has (recently completed on the south side) sidewalks in its ROW. Why don't we just call them cycletracks and we will be done?

Post Thanks / Like

Why invest in infrastructure to avoid hills when we will all be eventually driving e-bikes and can climb hills with no effort?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sjclaeys View Post
    Why invest in infrastructure to avoid hills when we will all be eventually driving e-bikes and can climb hills with no effort?
    Stop that.

11. Likes Steve O, Judd liked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sjclaeys View Post
    Because it's not no effort. Even with an ebike, with kids on the bike, I prefer the reduced hills of Washington to 16th (and Lee to Custis).

More importantly, those arterials are more direct. For example, to direct someone to get from EFC to the Hospital (for example), it's easier to follow:
    (1) north on Sycamore, right on Washington, left on Mason;
    than:
    (2) follow that little path south of the Cabi station, turn left on the trail, the trail continues kinda-left through the parking lot, then follow the trail until the exit for Harrison (is it marked, as Harrison)? then head north on Harrison, and be careful crossing Washington because there's no light, then turn right on 16th and at Mason, get on the sidewalk to get into the Hospital complex

Another example: to get from W-L to Tuckahoe, it's easier to follow:
    (1) take Washington Blvd west, turn right on Sycamore, turn left on 26th
    than
    (2) take 15th west, turn right on Glebe for a short block (or take the sidewalk, because it's Glebe), turn left on 16th

OK then. Washington Blvd has (recently completed on the south side) sidewalks in its ROW. Why don't we just call them cycletracks and we will be done?
    Where would the pedestrians go?

13. Likes buschwacker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    where would the pedestrians go?
    to hell!

15. Likes dasgeh liked this post