Likes Likes:  109
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Washington Blvd repaving thru Westover

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sjclaeys View Post
    I've been using this area as a pedestrian, cyclist and driver for over 20 years. The diagonal parking on the north side actually works well because the cars back up into the buffer zone that is not in the road and leaving at an angle gives drivers a better view of on-coming bicycles and cars (though they are on the road and not the buffer zone). The option 3 of having the diagonal spaces face the other way and have cars back in I think could be incrementally safer. A PBL on the south side between parked cars and the sidewalk would be a hazard due to dooring. The greatest threat to safety in the area is vehicles, especially Metro buses, going through at unsafe speeds. Nothing in the options addresses that.
    I think the back-in parking would be less safe. I think it does nothing to increase cyclist safety - so you'll be hit by a car pulling into a spot rather than a car pulling out - and would be a nightmare of a bumper-car fest as cars stop on Washington Blvd. and try to back up into the spaces. I also see little benefit to a 1/2 mile (at best) cycle track that requires you to cross a busy street to use it. The proposed Option 2 looks reasonable.

2. Likes sjclaeys liked this post
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Uh, just to clarify things, that is not at all the area under discussion.

see

In the future the cycle track could be further extended east/west,

I will try to avoid commenting on the Westover dystopia again. I just wanted to point out that a solution to the street crossing problem that envisions extending a two way cycle further east and west in the future, has to deal with the constraints east and west. I am less interested in Westover than in precedent for other areas both in Arlington and elsewhere.
    Last edited by lordofthemark; 02-28-2019 at 03:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    see

In the future the cycle track could be further extended east/west,

I will try to avoid commenting on the Westover dystopia again. I just wanted to point out that a solution to the street crossing problem that envisions extending a two way cycle further east and west in the future, has to deal with the constraints east and west. I am less interested in Westover than in precedent for other areas both in Arlington and elsewhere.
    A beer garden, hardware store that has everything, barber shop, fair trade store, Italian Store, Lost Dog, Thai Noy, Lebanese Taverna and a library in one block is hardly a dystopia.

Post Thanks / Like

Update on Trail impacts from Transforming I-66 both Outside & Inside the Beltway.

Reposting from another thread but also of interest to this thread: http://www.washingtonareabikeforum.c...d.php?p=188049

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

A beer garden, hardware store that has everything, barber shop, fair trade store, Italian Store, Lost Dog, Thai Noy, Lebanese Taverna and a library in one block is hardly a dystopia.
    The notion that a place with a lot of upper middle class focused businesses is ipso facto wonderful is part of the dystopian character of the present phase of history. Also nuanced semi sarcasm (I am well aware of the real estate market and what places are in fashion I had hoped it was clear my dystopia snark was about the complete streets dispute, about which I wish to speak no more) does not work on the net. As Abe Lincoln once said. I think he was speaking with Audrey Clement at the time.
    Last edited by lordofthemark; 03-01-2019 at 06:48 AM.

7. Likes Steve O liked this post
    ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

There’s stiff competition, but “upper middle class businesses with street parking equals dystopian” on a single small block in a nice neighborhood might be the most ridiculous thing I’ve read on the forum in seven years.

9. Likes DismalScientist, sjclaeys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnoftheDread View Post
    There’s stiff competition, but “upper middle class businesses with street parking equals dystopian” on a single small block in a nice neighborhood might be the most ridiculous thing I’ve read on the forum in seven years.
    One might almost think that was a hint that it was a tongue in cheek jibe. I certainly won't turn down a chance to have a beer at the Westover Beer Garden out of fear of the roving street gangs and rabid lost dogs in the area. Are they still fighting about the noise there?

Steve O is online now I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Also a Post Office, a cleaners, a dubious Chinese takeout, a proprietor of vintage LPs, an artisanal bakery, an eclectic consignment store, an excellent local ice cream shop (owned by a close friend of drevil) and a shady tavern for local drunkards.
    Last edited by Steve O; 03-01-2019 at 11:09 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    One might almost think that was a hint that it was a tongue in cheek jibe. I certainly won't turn down a chance to have a beer at the Westover Beer Garden out of fear of the roving street gangs and rabid lost dogs in the area. Are they still fighting about the noise there?
    Yes, Lost Dog is in the area, but it's not rabid

One of the nice things about Westover is that it's not strictly an "upper middle class" enclave. There are a large number of more affordable garden apartment rentals around Westover, and the mix of businesses - barbershop, drug store, hardware store, library, bank, bars, etc. - serves the entire community. I would suggest that self-loathing upper middle classers and Arlington haters might want to restrict themselves to the workers' paradises of their own communities - proletarian utopias such as Old Town and Del Ray come to mind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by accordioneur View Post
    Yes, Lost Dog is in the area, but it's not rabid

One of the nice things about Westover is that it's not strictly an "upper middle class" enclave. There are a large number of more affordable garden apartment rentals around Westover, and the mix of businesses - barbershop, drug store, hardware store, library, bank, bars, etc. - serves the entire community. I would suggest that self-loathing upper middle classers and Arlington haters might want to restrict themselves to the workers' paradises of their own communities - proletarian utopias such as Old Town and Del Ray come to mind.
    Where's that "Elite" button?!

14. Likes Steve O liked this post