Likes Likes:  109
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 145

Thread: Washington Blvd repaving thru Westover

  1. #21
    lordofthemark's Avatar
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The forgotten corner of Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    3,272
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scoot View Post
    PBL buffers I have seen are not wide enough to cover the door zone. Plus many drivers park their vehicles encroaching on the buffers. At least one driver on Wilson Blvd last night had parked entirely over the buffer, leaving only the gutter outside his door zone.

    Poorly parked vehicles tend to encroach on conventional door zone lanes also of course. But it is easier to go around those ones safely.

    on eads there are flex posts between the parking lane and the pbl. ditto on pbls in DC. not sure why wilson is different.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    140
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    So I was just at the open house, and what I learned:
    * Medians and brick paver crosswalks will be gone (the impetus for the repaving)
    * Pretty sure bike lanes will extend through these three blocks in both directions (connecting the ones both east and west of Westover)
    * Main choice is between keeping parking on the north side (westbound) pull-in (27 spots), or convert it to back-in parking (rotating the slots by 90 degrees, and lose six spots to the angled tree peninsulas)
    * Looks like the county is going to try to put an additional five parking spots by the post office (so a net loss of one spot potentially)
    * The crosswalks will be made more visible (zebra stripes?), and if that's not sufficient there's a chance HAWK beacons could be installed

    If I got anything wrong, I'm sure Erin can correct the record.

    I heard back-in spots and adding a bike lane (or possibly the loss of parking spots) described as "draconian", so there's definitely some opposition. My personal thoughts are that if there's any significant parking action going on, I'll take the lane anyways. It's like taking Clarendon Boulevard through Clarendon. You can either dodge rideshares dropping people off, people attempting to parallel park, people waiting to take right turns, or just take the lane and avoid all that and go at automobile speed.
    Would it be feasible to fit a cycle track on the south side of the road, which would leave all the parking on the north side. Those going west bound who didn't want to cross over twice could just take the lane, but those less comfortable riding in the road would have a protected facility. This would remove the interactions between an unprotected bike lane and all the parking on the north side of the road.

  3. #23
    dasgeh's Avatar
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    5,660
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zsionakides View Post
    Would it be feasible to fit a cycle track on the south side of the road, which would leave all the parking on the north side. Those going west bound who didn't want to cross over twice could just take the lane, but those less comfortable riding in the road would have a protected facility. This would remove the interactions between an unprotected bike lane and all the parking on the north side of the road.
    It would be a ~3 block cycletrack. Would you cross the road to use it?

  4. Likes josh liked this post
  5. #24
    dasgeh's Avatar
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    5,660
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    on eads there are flex posts between the parking lane and the pbl. ditto on pbls in DC. not sure why wilson is different.
    Wilson had flexposts. Arlington's flexposts seem to migrate more than DCs. But even when the flexposts are there, they are in the middle of the buffer, so someone can park against a flexpost and their door can open into the bike lane.

  6. Likes josh liked this post
  7. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    639
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Right. Most of the door hazard could be fixed by moving the flexposts closer to the parking spaces and further from the bike lane. In some places it is possible to fit a car between successive flexposts.

  8. Likes josh liked this post
  9. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    199
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Hey y'all -- spotted a few folks at the Open House last night (*waves*), but for those of you that weren't able to attend, there are more ways to connect with the project.

    First off, Open House materials are now online. Check 'em out on the project page under "Open House Materials".

    In-Person – Washington Boulevard Farmer’s Market
    Stop by and see community engagement staff (it me) on your trip to the Westover Farmer's Market. We'll have information about the project and opportunities for feedback.
    Sunday, March 3, 2019
    Westover Library Plaza
    1644 North McKinley Road
    Arlington, Virginia 22205
    10:00 am - 12:00 pm

    Online – Feedback form
    Can’t make the in-person events? Review materials and share your feedback online from February 28 – March 31.
    Click here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/BYHG72Z
    Last edited by Erin Potter; 02-28-2019 at 12:48 PM. Reason: more links!

  10. Likes dasgeh, josh liked this post
  11. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    140
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    It would be a ~3 block cycletrack. Would you cross the road to use it?
    I wouldnt do so on my own as I'd just ride in the traffic, but I most certainly would if riding with my children.

    I dont think there is any way to make the west bound side safe without major changes to the diagonal parking. My idea is to put a cycletrack on the south side to give a fully protected facility and a sharrow on the north side. In the future the cycle track could be further extended east/west, providing a protected facility without disrupting parking.

  12. #28
    lordofthemark's Avatar
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The forgotten corner of Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    3,272
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zsionakides View Post
    I wouldnt do so on my own as I'd just ride in the traffic, but I most certainly would if riding with my children.

    I dont think there is any way to make the west bound side safe without major changes to the diagonal parking. My idea is to put a cycletrack on the south side to give a fully protected facility and a sharrow on the north side. In the future the cycle track could be further extended east/west, providing a protected facility without disrupting parking.
    This area to the west https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8862...7i13312!8i6656

    has a buffered bike lane, no parking spaces, WB. EB there is a "door zone" bike lane, but apparently not many cars parked there (and I imagine rather low parking turnover). I two way cycle track using the same width as the existing bike lanes would be, I guess, less safe because of the dangers of head on bike collisions, and the problematic positioning at intersections (I mean unless you fit it out with bike boxes, bike only signal phases, the whole nine yards, which I suspect is unlikely) that is part of what you get with 2 way cycle tracks.

    Seems like putting in flexposts (or concrete curb its?) to protect a one way bike lane from parking cars might be the better and more realistic solution.

  13. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Madison Manor
    Posts
    1,194
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    This area to the west https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8862...7i13312!8i6656

    has a buffered bike lane, no parking spaces, WB. EB there is a "door zone" bike lane, but apparently not many cars parked there (and I imagine rather low parking turnover). I two way cycle track using the same width as the existing bike lanes would be, I guess, less safe because of the dangers of head on bike collisions, and the problematic positioning at intersections (I mean unless you fit it out with bike boxes, bike only signal phases, the whole nine yards, which I suspect is unlikely) that is part of what you get with 2 way cycle tracks.

    Seems like putting in flexposts (or concrete curb its?) to protect a one way bike lane from parking cars might be the better and more realistic solution.
    Uh, just to clarify things, that is not at all the area under discussion.

  14. Likes Erin Potter liked this post
  15. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Madison Manor
    Posts
    1,194
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I've been using this area as a pedestrian, cyclist and driver for over 20 years. The diagonal parking on the north side actually works well because the cars back up into the buffer zone that is not in the road and leaving at an angle gives drivers a better view of on-coming bicycles and cars (though they are on the road and not the buffer zone). The option 3 of having the diagonal spaces face the other way and have cars back in I think could be incrementally safer. A PBL on the south side between parked cars and the sidewalk would be a hazard due to dooring. The greatest threat to safety in the area is vehicles, especially Metro buses, going through at unsafe speeds. Nothing in the options addresses that.

  16. Likes scoot liked this post

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •