Likes Likes:  114
Dislikes Dislikes:  3
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Washington Blvd repaving thru Westover

Post Thanks / Like

Default Washington Blvd repaving thru Westover

Sharing info from the County. Will update as I get new info. Henry

Project Background: Washington Boulevard Repave at Westover (N McKinley Rd to N Longfellow Street).

As part of routine repaving in the summer of 2019, The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) will be repaving the segment of Washington Boulevard between North McKinley Road and North Frederick Street.

As part of the repave, VDOT will remove the brick paver median and the brick paver crosswalks at Westover (between North McKinley Road and North Longfellow Street). Brick pavers at crosswalks and in medians are currently being phased out in Arlington County because the materials are costly to repair and require frequent maintenance.

To use the space currently occupied by the brick pavers in the median, the County is considering several restriping options, including high visibility crosswalks, bike treatments, and a limited change option. The goal is to provide better access to the Westover Library, Post Office and retail areas.

We have a few ways for people to get involved:
    • A drop-in style open house to learn more, review restriping options, talk with staff and share feedback on Wednesday, Feb. 27, 2019 in the Longfellow Room at Westover Library from 6:00 – 7:30pm.
    • An online feedback form, which will go live after the Open House on Wednesday, February 27 and be open until March 31. Link to be shared when it goes live.
    • Potential Westover Farmer’s Market to have a pop-up opportunity to meet people in the community that might not be able to attend the Open House. Details to come as they are finalized with the Farmer’s Market.

2. Likes josh, Starduster, Erin Potter liked this post
    DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

The current configuration is much like what used to be in front of the Lutheran Church a few blocks to the west. It will be interesting to see if the county has the balls to propose back-in diagonal parking there. Somehow I doubt we will see a reduction in parking to add space for dedicated bike lanes here (not that I would advocate that).

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Seems like the perfect opportunity to turn those crosswalks into speed tables. Also, the speed limit between Longfellow (maybe even Patrick Henry) and McKinley should be lowered to 15mph.

5. Likes lordofthemark, Steve O liked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DismalScientist View Post
    The current configuration is much like what used to be in front of the Lutheran Church a few blocks to the west. It will be interesting to see if the county has the balls to propose back-in diagonal parking there. Somehow I doubt we will see a reduction in parking to add space for dedicated bike lanes here (not that I would advocate that).
    Seems like it would be wide enough there to put bike lanes next to the curb, and leave the parking at the same angle, just closer to travel lanes. Yes, the parking cars would impede the travel lane but...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    Seems like it would be wide enough there to put bike lanes next to the curb, and leave the parking at the same angle, just closer to travel lanes. Yes, the parking cars would impede the travel lane but...
    Wouldn't that create a gauntlet of passenger doors flying open into the bike lane with no bail out option other than to run into the curb?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sjclaeys View Post
    Wouldn't that create a gauntlet of passenger doors flying open into the bike lane with no bail out option other than to run into the curb?
    And loads of pizzas flying into the air as cyclists cruised by while pedestrians didn't notice. Because they don't. The don't on Quincy coming out the stores there and I have sat at the Italian Store window watching countless people not pay attention to much as they raced in and out of their cars and stores. This would be a disaster at this location.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrP View Post
    And loads of pizzas flying into the air as cyclists cruised by while pedestrians didn't notice. Because they don't. The don't on Quincy coming out the stores there and I have sat at the Italian Store window watching countless people not pay attention to much as they raced in and out of their cars and stores. This would be a disaster at this location.
    Yeah, but maybe free pizza if you can catch it in the air, or maybe off of the ground if it is still in the box?

10. Likes Sunyata, Erin Potter, Steve O liked this post
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

What I love about Arlington, especially Westover, it's such a lovely suburban dystopia, it makes me feel better about Alexandria

12. Dislikes sjclaeys, Subby disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    • Potential Westover Farmer’s Market to have a pop-up opportunity to meet people in the community that might not be able to attend the Open House. Details to come as they are finalized with the Farmer’s Market.
    Come discuss over pickles*!
    Project staff also will be available at the Westover Farmer's Market, in the Westover Library Plaza, on Sunday, March 3. Stop by for information about the project and to provide feedback.

*Pickles dependent on my ability to set up for this event and attendance of a particular farmer's market vendor.
    Last edited by Erin Potter; 02-25-2019 at 10:23 AM. Reason: bonus words removed

14. Likes ChristoB50, josh, Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Erin Potter View Post
    *Pickles dependent on ... a particular farmer's market vendor.
    Mmmm... haven't been to this market yet, but I'm assuming it MUST be Number 1 Sons... superlative lactic-fermented pickles!! I miss them now that the Crystal City F.M. is closed down.

16. Likes Erin Potter liked this post