Likes Likes:  109
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Washington Blvd repaving thru Westover

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sjclaeys View Post
    Wouldn't that create a gauntlet of passenger doors flying open into the bike lane with no bail out option other than to run into the curb?
    Cars park perpendicular to the curb here, so doors open far from the curb/potential bike lane.

And any bike lane to the inside of parallel parking would have a buffer.

DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Parking is diagonal here. Since back in parking is safer, do you really want cars backing into a space where the back of the space is a bike lane?

Furthermore, the diagonal parking is not continuous and 3 trees would have to be murdered to make it continuous.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DismalScientist View Post
    Parking is diagonal here. Since back in parking is safer, do you really want cars backing into a space where the back of the space is a bike lane?
    No. Of course you would need a barrier between parking and the bike lane. But it could be a standard parking barrier

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    Cars park perpendicular to the curb here, so doors open far from the curb/potential bike lane.

And any bike lane to the inside of parallel parking would have a buffer.
    I'm referring to the south side of Washington Blvd (the side of Lost Dog), where cars park parallel to the curb. No buffer in that situation would stop car doors from opening into the bike lane.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sjclaeys View Post
    I'm referring to the south side of Washington Blvd (the side of Lost Dog), where cars park parallel to the curb. No buffer in that situation would stop car doors from opening into the bike lane.
    A buffer that's a bit wider than the width of a car door would. That's why they always put in buffers with PBLs. Otherwise every PBL beside parking would have issues.

Post Thanks / Like

Furthermore, the diagonal parking is not continuous and 3 trees would have to be murdered to make it continuous.
    I forgot about the tree-thingys. They definitely make things more difficult, but I wonder whether there's an option to use ramps to have a PBL go up onto those...

Post Thanks / Like

I think that diagonal parking is on private property, so unless it is being seized under eminent domain with due compensation to the property owner then not much is going to change there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    A buffer that's a bit wider than the width of a car door would. That's why they always put in buffers with PBLs. Otherwise every PBL beside parking would have issues.
    Well, my experience is that just about every PBL does have that issue.

9. Likes scoot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

PBL buffers I have seen are not wide enough to cover the door zone. Plus many drivers park their vehicles encroaching on the buffers. At least one driver on Wilson Blvd last night had parked entirely over the buffer, leaving only the gutter outside his door zone.

Poorly parked vehicles tend to encroach on conventional door zone lanes also of course. But it is easier to go around those ones safely.

11. Likes josh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So I was just at the open house, and what I learned:
    * Medians and brick paver crosswalks will be gone (the impetus for the repaving)
    * Pretty sure bike lanes will extend through these three blocks in both directions (connecting the ones both east and west of Westover)
    * Main choice is between keeping parking on the north side (westbound) pull-in (27 spots), or convert it to back-in parking (rotating the slots by 90 degrees, and lose six spots to the angled tree peninsulas)
    * Looks like the county is going to try to put an additional five parking spots by the post office (so a net loss of one spot potentially)
    * The crosswalks will be made more visible (zebra stripes?), and if that's not sufficient there's a chance HAWK beacons could be installed

If I got anything wrong, I'm sure Erin can correct the record.

I heard back-in spots and adding a bike lane (or possibly the loss of parking spots) described as "draconian", so there's definitely some opposition. My personal thoughts are that if there's any significant parking action going on, I'll take the lane anyways. It's like taking Clarendon Boulevard through Clarendon. You can either dodge rideshares dropping people off, people attempting to parallel park, people waiting to take right turns, or just take the lane and avoid all that and go at automobile speed.

13. Likes sjclaeys, Sunyata, Erin Potter liked this post