Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any thoughts on why my rear tire feels mushy?

Post Thanks / Like

It could have been just a chance oscillation in your bike. Bike wheels are inherently unbalanced due to the valve stem and the rim weld (not to mention accessories like reflectors, or inconsistent thicknesses in tires and tubes). You can see this by cranking up the rear wheel to high speed when the bike is on the repair stand. Maybe on that particular stretch the front and back wheel imbalances synchronized in such a way as to make your bike feel squirrelly. It may or may not ever happen again.

2. Likes kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

After installing a new tube, use a flash light to see if it's twisted or pinched before installing the final side of the tire. Indoor lights are not enough, you have to use a flash light. I spotted both twisted and pinched tubes that way, otherwise they looked normal to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by n18 View Post
    After installing a new tube, use a flash light to see if it's twisted or pinched before installing the final side of the tire. Indoor lights are not enough, you have to use a flash light. I spotted both twisted and pinched tubes that way, otherwise they looked normal to me.
    Supposedly, a partial inflate, up to 40 psi or so, and then a complete deflate will untwist a twisted tube. After that exercise, reinflate to pressure, and ride on. I do that when changing a tire and I’m not in a hurry, but I don’t know whether it’s really a thing or not; I don’t even remember where I got the idea (Sheldon? Zinn?).

5. Likes kwarkentien liked this post